Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you suggest?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused What do you suggest?

Hello all!
    I'm looking for some ideas (even outside the box) for a patient of mine.
    His Rx: +3.00ish with 2.25 add power.
    He is a plumber, and he's always crawling under sinks and looking up through the top of his lenses to see pipes, etc. (near to intermediate distances) and his progressives are just not cutting it. He's looking for a occupational pair of glasses that he can wear while working that allows him to see what he's doing (people are so picky!;) ).
    Anyway, our first thought was a double D seg (top and bottom) however impact resistance is a major priority and those are available only in plastic and glass (through my lab, anyway).
    Can you think of any lenses that are available in poly or trivex that would work? I thought about doing a normal bifocal in poly and just putting it in the frame upside down, but Doc had a great point that he's going to have to read work orders and such, which he'd look a little silly doing if he had to hold the paper above his head...
    Thanks in advance for any and all ideas!!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I use magnetic clips, take the sun lenses out, and put in the "uppers", or whatever occupat. you want. I often sell them more than one pair, to be used at different distances. When the job is done, they pop them off and put them in their tool box. Plus, they can also buy the sun clip. The comment I always hear is "Wow, I never thought of that!"

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So what do you suggest putting in the frame itself? I had similar thoughts, but I couldn't figure out what lens to use.
    We could do a distance/reading in his frame, then put a plano/reading bifocal upside down in the clip? Or even just SV reading?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Put his regular Rx in the frame (Ft, Pal, etc..., )and then any occupational needs into the clips.

I also do this for people that don't want a bifocal. I'll put SV into the frame, and a FT into the clip.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I honestly don't think that with a +3.00 in CR39 you are going to have a problem with impact resistance. If you are concerned however, just make the lenses a little thicker, the same as you would do with a safety pair. CR39 should work just fine.

Maybe a nice full rim eyewire flex frame would be a good idea too.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Johns, you've got a fantastic idea, but it doesn't make sense to put an occupational lens over the standard progressives. That would mean that at the top, he'd have full reading and at the bottom he'd have double his add. The idea of the clip on does make good sense, though, and I'll bring it up with Doc.

Encore, I wondered about that myself. In fact, I asked my husband last night about it. He was a lab manager for LC and did safety glasses frequently. I myself have never sold a pair nor read any information about the requirements, etc.
    DH said that although the lenses are ground thicker and they are considered safety lenses, the only requirement for them to be sold as safetys was for them to pass the drop ball test. Which, incidently, is the same test used on a glass lens. That means that for my purposes here, I cannot proove that the safety thickness plastic lens would offer him any more protection than a glass lens. We know for sure that glass is a bad idea in his case. Ergo, safety plastic doesn't sound too convincing.
    If anyone knows more about safety plastic lenses and can correct me here, please do so!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

How about...

only flipping one seg upside down and leaving the other one alone? For work glasses in Trivex, he can have one seg to read paperwork and use the other side fit upside down when he's upside down doing his plumbers crack thing? Sort of an occupational monovision?? Chris..

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeFitWell View Post
    Johns, you've got a fantastic idea, but it doesn't make sense to put an occupational lens over the standard progressives. That would mean that at the top, he'd have full reading and at the bottom he'd have double his add.
    The "upside" would be his intermediate, or whatever power you want, the bottom would be plano, but over his PAL it would be his regular add.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Anyone thought of a second pair of glasses with SV at whatever distance he works?

Occupation
    With that Rx use a double-D in CR-39

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    My point exactly.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    CR 39 is pretty safe stuff. We used it long before trivex or poly were even words.

As a side note I would be interested in anyone's story, 1st hand, that have seen cr 39 completely fracture while the patient was wearing the glasses. Over the years I've seen my share of patients hit with hi impact objects, including baseballs. The only cr I've seen completely fracture, a human head would not endure. (like being ran over with a truck).

I do believe in duty to warn. Even if one childs vision is saved by having poly or trivex, it makes it all worth while. But really, is cr 39 that unsafe?

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Anyone thought of a second pair of glasses with SV at whatever distance he works?
    Or, depending on the work distance, some extra plus on the distance part of the multifocal e.g. +4.25D distance with a +1.00D add.

Regards,
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Years ago there was a lens called the varilux overview. They would be perfect. I am not sure if they even make it anymore. If they do The top of the lense is made with a 50% add on top and everything else would be like a typical Progressive. call the lab see if they make it and it what material

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeFitWell View Post
    Johns, you've got a fantastic idea, but it doesn't make sense to put an occupational lens over the standard progressives. That would mean that at the top, he'd have full reading and at the bottom he'd have double his add. The idea of the clip on does make good sense, though, and I'll bring it up with Doc.
    I think the idea is to edge a Plano/+2.25 FT upside down into a magnetic clip, not an occupational lens. He can wear his PALs all day, and when he needs to look up, snap on the clip. If you're really brave, you could edge a PAL upside down and do it that way too, but that way problems lie.

Keep on truckin...
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    Worried about safety? Go D28 Trivex and check out your local Walgreens. They have press on powers that are crystal clear. If he trys out your custom made (and cheaper) 2D28s then you should talk to him about safety frame with safety thickness 2D28s if safety really is a concern.

Adam

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherry Optical View Post
    Worried about safety? Go D28 Trivex and check out your local Walgreens. They have press on powers that are crystal clear. If he trys out your custom made (and cheaper) 2D28s then you should talk to him about safety frame with safety thickness 2D28s if safety really is a concern.

Adam

I've got tons of press ons (bought them from someone on Optiboard). I'll sell them for 50% of what Walgreens does - maybe less. Let me know how many and what powers you need.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ecymosis View Post
    Years ago there was a lens called the varilux overview. They would be perfect. I am not sure if they even make it anymore. If they do The top of the lense is made with a 50% add on top and everything else would be like a typical Progressive. call the lab see if they make it and it what material
    They don't make it anymore. I have one patient that still has a pair. He tried everywhere to get another pair. I guess there just wasn't enough sales.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jacqui and Encore-
    My first post specifically said we do not want to use CR-39. We talked between me and Doc, and with the patient, and explained to him that it's not going to shatter like glass. The pt said he doesn't want to take the chance, and wants poly or trivex only.
    Ecymosis-
    That's what we were thinking with the Shamir Office in poly. I'm pretty sure that's what we'll go with.

Thanks for all your help!
    If anyone can give me more information about the impact resistance of CR-39 made to "safety thickness," please let me know what kind of impact it's supposed to withstand! Thanks again

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    CR 39 in Canada at 3mm ct, or edge thickness will pass the industrial drop ball test. Actually in plus lenses the edge thickness can be reduced to 2mm and still pass the test. Absolutely NO worries.

About the clip idea....you could put a standard poly FT 28 in the clip upside down and give him a mid or close depending on add and still leave him his own progressive add in the bottom.

Optiboard Professional Bill West's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

What's the problem?

Looks to me like you created the problem by not wanting to use
    cr-39 dbl d segs. If you put cr-39 in a Z87 frame and grind said lenses to Z87 standards, there is no problem. DUH!

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Cr39

Looks like another case of brainwash, that only Poly or Trivex can be used for a safe job.

Never jump the gun and suggest the most expensive, which then can not be done and then you got to revert to the good old stuff.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chris, if I wanted to suggest the most expensive, I'd put him in 1.74 with Alize.
    Come on guys, I'm asking for help, not sarcasm!
    Please read this carefully:
    As I stated to my doctor, glass lenses have to pass the same ball drop test used for safety thickness plastics. I thought about safety glasses we made at LC, and they were not poly but plastic. I asked my hubby who managed a lab there for five years just HOW impact resistant they are, and he said they just had to pass the ball drop. I DO NOT KNOW HOW MUCH IMPACT THE BALL TESTS FOR. I HAVE NEVER USED GLASS, NOR HAVE I EVEN SEEN A BALL DROP TEST.
    If plastic and glass have to pass the same test, then I cannot proove that the plastic lens is any more impact resistant than glass. That is not good enough for my Doctor.
    I want to know how much impact resistance I can expect out of a safety thickness plastic.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    The "upside" would be his intermediate, or whatever power you want, the bottom would be plano, but over his PAL it would be his regular add.
    ding ding.... did you miss this post>?? it does all he'll ever need, at the least cost.

Occupation
    I imagine that if your patient drops something on his face heavy enough to break through CR39 lenses in the script you have mentioned, he will have more to worry about than a few chips of plastic.

Maybe refer the question to the lab that would be making the lenses for you. If they are making safety lenses in whatever material and putting their stamp on there, they may be able to better provide the techinical information about dropball testing you need.

If all else fails, have the customer by an "over the frame" pair of safety glasses/goggles.

Thread Information