Thread: What sunglasses do you guys carry?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

What sunglasses do you guys carry?

Wal-Mart optical is a competitor of mine in this small town. I don't worry too much about competing with their frame selection, quality and even price. However, their sunglasses have me beat. They have their Carribean Sun brand Plano sunglasses with GLASS polarized lenses w/ backside AR for about $68. These are nice looking specs and decent quality.
    Does anyone have any good sources for plano, polarized specs w/ Backside AR that can compete. Poly would be fine. Glass not needed.

As a follow-on question; how do you guys price Rxable sunwear that is also plano? Here's the dilema. For plano sunglasses, quite a bit of price is in the lenses, especially if they are poly polarized. Many times, The lenses are just discarded when an Rx is inserted in the frame. Wasted lens and $. Because of this, the frame has to be priced outside the price range of many buyers. The only supplier that helps me deal with this is Wiley-X. They sell frame only at a significant discount to the complete price.

Thanks for the info!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am in the process of changing alot of my frame offerings. Sunglasses are really getting changed. I usually carry the Safilo offerings from there various lines. They are on the way out. I also carry a dozen or so Addidas/Silhouette sport type frames as well. They are on the to go list as well. I am going to bring in frames from a vendor on optiboard called Ice-Tech. The members name are Awtech and OptiDonn. They offer a line of frames, plus they have a great lens offering, escpecially in the wrap type frame line. They specialize in making the wrap lens with a proper compensated rx to better accomplish better optics. I am also looking for a lower price, polarized offering with decent quality, I look forward to hearing others suggestions.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    We have good success with Costa Del Mar sunwear. We did about a 4X + inventory turn this past summer alone with Costa. It has good brand recognition in the premium sunwear arena which is also followed by a lifetime warranty. They have a dealer contract which prohibits discounting in order to prevent lowball pricing and therefore are not usually found in most discount chains. They also offer their sunwear alternatives as "Frame Only" so that you can have controll over an RX which best meets your patients optical needs.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    I do well with the Bolle's. Lots of lens styles and good quality. I can RX most too. I also carry inexpensive RXable suns with the Humphrey, Tommy Hilfiger, Gant, Guess lines.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    PaKev-
    I use to carry Costas. I really liked them and still wear my Ex frame everyday. I gave up on them a few years ago because I got sick of being the local try on showroom and have the customer purchase online with all the info they badgered me for. They could get them online or by magazine cheaper, even though I had to sign the contract saying that I would not sell below the MSRP. It drove me crazy. Have times changed?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Bolle

For-Life, I don't have anything against Bolle, but our Wal-Mart optical carries them. I don't like to have people compare prices when I can't compete. Now if Bolle (and all the other suppliers) would just sell them to me at the same price that they sell them to Wal-Mart, then I could mark them up 12x and compete on price.
    So I guess I do have a problem with Bolle and the other suppliers that sell the the big boxes for 10-20 cents on the dollar for what they sell to me or even my wholesale lab. Vison-Ease is boycotted in my shop for that reason.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why Vision-Ease?

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Brand Management

Thanks Fezz for the support!

This thread points out the problem for the independant optical when it comes to brand management. How can you support the independant and then sell to the big box giant retailer who will then discount the product?

Very few brands do a good job of this. I would have to say the most recognized brand that is well managed and controls this issue is Oakley. Some of you may remember a few years ago when they were willing to dropped by Sunglass Hut rather than be told how they had to offer more of a discount. This is where most brands get caught in the greed of the moment. Just like it is tough for a small retailer to tell a customer who wants to buy four frames if you will knock of 25%. It may sound good at the time but what happens when he is at party with his friends who are also your customers and tells of the great discount. Then all you hear from your loyal customers is how they were not offered the discount and they had been your customer for years. I believe you have to treat all of the customers who support you like customers and for us a manufacturer this is the optical retailer and the end buyer who wears the product out the door.

ICE-TECH developed our unique Rx wrap technology to support our brand to the optical channel. We can offer frame pricing with Rx and you don't have to pay for and discard the plano lenses.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Here's a look at your competition...

http://oakley.com/o/c464t/?promotion...cm_cat=1205895

Oh, did I say competition ? I meant to say "partners"! They're not really trying to sell anything there, they're trying to drive business to you!

:hammer:

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    I was actually thinking for a while of getting some decent double bridge frames and putting in glass or plastic lenses with a backside AR in them. Really, it would not be that expensive. You can go to a company like McCray to get the blanks.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Vision-Ease

FEZZ,
    Wal-Mart's RETAIL price for a SunRx (Vison-Ease's brand) for a SV, Poly, Polarized, Edged and Mounted w/ backside AR is $68. Their retail price beats my wholesale price. I should buy my lenses there, at least they wouldn't charge for a "Dr Redo". For you lab guys out there that know your cost, that should make you mad. I know Wal-Mart has their own lab to generate and coat these lenses, but I also hear from some of the optical managers that their markup is higher than mine. I know what a SF poly polarized blank costs me, and it has to cost Wal-Mart at least half that for them to sell at that price. Plus the SunRX and Outlook brand names are all over the store. I'm sure Vision-Ease gives the same deal to LensCrafters. Someone on the board once noted that LC uses Vison-Ease lenses; though I don't know that for a fact.
    If a big lens manufacturer is going to sell at different price points to different entities, at least have to decency to re-brand and re-package so that we at least THINK we are getting something different. Essilor is very good at this. Vision-Ease, not so good at it.
    While we are talking about it; I won't carry Noveau eyewear or Stetson, because Wal-Mart undersells me on the same stuff. At least if I carry Ray Ban or Brooks Brothers (which I don't), I know I can compete on price with LC.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    MarcE-
    I guess i should get into a Wal-Mart to see what is going on. I actually gave up worrying about that type of retailor. They attract a certain type of consumer. I don't want that type of patient. I can't afford that type of patient. I know that i will never be able to beat them at price..NEVER. I know that they will NEVER beat me at service and knowledge. A certain percantage of consumers flock to one or the other. Maybe I am living a pipe dream, but, I try to be so busy bettering myself and my business that I don't really care what others(like them) are doing. Maybe thats not good, maybe thats great..who knows right?
    Last edited by Fezz; 10-31-2006 at 10:54 PM. Reason: addition

Occupation
    The reality of value with any lens is the fact that it is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. If folks are commiting as much time to purchasing their eyewear as they do purchasing a gallon of milk or a package of light bulbs at their local grocery store, of course they are not expecting to pay much.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Who cares? We do...

Quote Originally Posted by PAkev View Post
    If folks are commiting as much time to purchasing their eyewear as they do purchasing a gallon of milk or a package of light bulbs at their local grocery store, of course they are not expecting to pay much.
    But if the milk they are getting has the same flavor, but is $.75 less, they are going to assume that the sunglasses are of the same quality, only at a lower cost.

The key is to satisfy all of their optical wants, while they're in your office, before they get to WM. If you educate them, convince, and demonstrate to them that your products and services are superior, then when they browse WM and see the suns, they'll assume they are inferior. (which they are, if you are doing your job.)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As far as the plano polarized lenses going in the trash, I explain that to the patient up front. I also give them the plano lenses b/c if they get lasic...whatever. At least that way, they feel like they're getting what they paid for. I do offer sun frames that are much less expensive b/c they do NOT have polarized lenses alread in them. Guess has some really cute styles for ladies that are right around the price point you mentioned from walmart.

Other than that, I do very well with Maui Jims, after I get out the smelling salts and revive my price-shocked patients. However, a walk outside will show them how valuable the lens quality really is. Maui Jim sells them with a prescription (they make the lenses) and the cost does reflect the fact that the patient did not want to purchase and throw away plano lenses. (in other words, the price is for the frame and rx lenses only)

I find that in my area, people who are going to buy their sunglasses for $20 will do so. Every once in a while, I show them the difference and they see my point. Most of the time, however, they tell me about how they're just gonna loose them anyway... Well, OK.
    If they're not going to buy cheap, they'll invest. What I'm getting at is, the best way IMHO to compete with WalMart is to offer Top Quality shades. The price will reflect the quality, and you need to be sure your whole staff can explain the value (ie, these are more expensive because x, y, and z.) I'm not very familiar with costas and such but maui jim offers things that seem to be exclusive to their brand and you can certainly see the difference between them and a 'cheapie.' Just like you can see the difference between OTC readers and custom-made.

Occupation
    Johns, That's exactly my point.

The inherent concept of "Retail" bypasses the middleman who provides a service element to the product being offered.

We have a price list laminated at our dispensing table that indicates our bench labor is prorated at $40/hr. Although I can count on one hand the amount of times I actually charged a patient for this service, it lets folks know value they are receiving for the time we afford to them.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Maui Jim, Chanel, Versace, Rayban, Adidas sports range and Bolle sports ranges, used to do Serenghetti's but we have been phasing them out and so only have a few left. Most if not all of these we can do to Rx although eyesize and wrap obviously reduces our ability to do so in some cases. We also do a small selection of budget Rx sunglasses using mostly Norville's Ice range and some older sunglass frames we've been struggling to shift.
    You cant go wrong with Maui Jims, we have people come in asking for them by name and buying a pair for every member of their family.
    The Chanel and Versace ones have been selling like hot-cakes ever since we first got them in as have the opthalmic ranges.
    Rayban....well everyones had a pair at some time or other and loved them.
    The Adidas sports range and other sports sunglasses etc that we do are a bit harder to sell.....i suppose mainly because there is less demand but also because you really need an extensive knowledge of the product, tints, contrast filters etc and the activities they are likely to be used for.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Sunglasses

I don't carry anything I can't Rx as they can get the other stuff at the mall. My biggest sucess is the men's Fossil line by Safilo. Can't keep enough of them especially the Jumper. Durable enough to be sat on three times (my boyfriend), enough of a wrap to look cool but not too much to be a problem. They Rx beautifully.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    We had a similiar incident but it wasn't a Walmart, just another private office with cheaper sunglasses.

Knowing we couldn't compete with them on the price, we decided to carry a different line, a more expensive line. They target the cheaper sunglasses while we tried to target people who were into big brand names such as Gucci, Fendi, Dior.......

Bad address email on file cannotsleep's Avatar
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    Remeber the same case where we concentrted mosly in expesive brand sunglasses where we had many posters of stars paced all around..
    My wife and i were really suspiscious at first but then working on armani or gucci brings higher profits

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    My biggest sucess is the men's Fossil line by Safilo. Can't keep enough of them especially the Jumper. Durable enough to be sat on three times (my boyfriend), enough of a wrap to look cool but not too much to be a problem. They Rx beautifully.
    I have 3 non-optical stores within 3 blocks of me that carry Fossil sunglasses. The prices are $35-50 for plano polarized. Does anyone else see that? What is your retail price, if I could ask? Are they selling the same line?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcE View Post
    I have 3 non-optical stores within 3 blocks of me that carry Fossil sunglasses. The prices are $35-50 for plano polarized. Does anyone else see that? What is your retail price, if I could ask? Are they selling the same line?

By carrying the same line that a non-optical store carries, you're telling your customers that you're the same as the others - that there is really nothing special about the product.

We've gone so far as to buy private non-branded and making up unique designer names such as MarcE, Fezz, and CocoIsland. (Bet you never heard of those designers- they must be really exclusive!)

Thread Information