Quote Originally Posted by shawn b View Post
Gary you are quite the comedian... LOL.
I see this discussion going absolutely no where. I respect your point of view, and I hope that the next time your own health is in question that someone else makes your health decisions for you, because as long as they know more than you- it is acceptable for them to force their view on you.

As far as you doubting me about educating patients before they make a decision- I cannot help you with that. If I say something and you think otherwise, that's between you and you- not you and me.

And as far as you assuming that people who use Eyelogic are only doing so to drive up business, and not give patients a choice- that is absurd. I don't see the logic in your statement, only because automated sight tests are not their only option, which means people are free to make a decision for or against it. I cannot speak for everyone using the system, but I will say that people are free to make a decision between using the system and seeing an OD or MD- we can only answer their questions, we cannot make decisions for them.

The most hilarious thing you said so far, "They are NOT using it to give the public a choice nor to give the public a free service. They are using it for their own market share reasons to sell more glasses." This is the best comment you made. Your speak with so much certainty, this argument can easily be re-worded to include ODs. And how can you logically say that providing an alternative option is not giving the public choice? And how can you logically say that by giving them this free option is not providing them with a free option. If the result of these options is increased market share and the selling of glasses- well then the public has spoken- who are you to decide over the majority?

The fact, and I will say that again- the fact- is that you don't want people to have a choice, you want to make it for them. I don't see it like that, I think people who are trusted to drive on streets in moving vehicles, who vote for the people who run the country- should be entitled to make their own health decisions.

And FYI Gary, I don't do any refractions or sight tests. Again, you can assume what you will. :bbg:
Shawn,

I think that its quite apparent that the notion of a "free" sight test is simply a loss leader to get more patients/customers into a practice - same as the "free eye exam" promotions common in Ontario where the optical will reimburese the cost of the exam with purchase. Having an eyelogics unit in your practice and offering a sight test still carries with it a cost to the practioner. There's the purchase/lease, operators time, marketing, real estate, insurance, and MD rubber-stamping fee. Where do you think the optician makes up the revenue to support this service?

No competent self-employed person, doesn't matter what profession, would simply give away services that require such a heavy investment for free without an anticipated return in sales. That would be Absurd.

What for the life of me I cannot understand is why a health care professional would ever concieve of creating or practicing under a lower standard of care when access to eye health in Canada is generally easily accessible and affordable.