Thread: Bubbles/Blemishes on solar lenses

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Bubbles/Blemishes on solar lenses

Hello everyone,

I have a question for all of you technical people and I hope you can help me out.

For some time now, I have been receiving from my factory some finished solar frames/products that may have a tiny little blemish on the lens. Sometimes it even looks as though a minuscule bubble had bursted; other times, it just looks like a tiny spec of dust. These blemishes are really tiny and you really have to make an effort to see them. But they are there.

I work in the marketing department and my factory is very far away so I cannot ask them why this is happening. I reject the pieces and they get upset with me. They say I am being picky. Am I being picky?

I would love to be able to give them a technical explanation: ie. it is probably the coating they are putting on the lens, the area of their lab is not as sterile as it should be, the scratch coating is to blame, they should be purchasing lenses with all the coatings already in place, etc. I am meeting them next week and would have the opportunity to talk to them face to face. I do not want for them to get all technical and for me to feel totally lost. I would love to resolve the issues.

Also, sometimes the lenses come with some tiny scratches. Am I being picky as well if I reject those?. I know there is $$$ involved but I believe customers should get near-perfect products. How much scratching on the lens, if any, is acceptable?

I have no problem researching more this topic if you direct me to a source of information I can access.

Any help you can provide will be helpful.

Saludos,
    mercedes

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Clarification....

It may help us to advise you on your problems if you could be a little more specific. I am unsure what you mean by "solar" products. Is this a brand name for lenses or perhaps a misspelling? Also, are these lens defects appearing on hardcoated lenses, stock lenses, surfaced multifocals, or perhaps A/R coated products? Most spectacles upon inspection will all have something that can be spotted during checkout that shouldn't be there. Whether it is something to prevent it from "passing" inspection is open I think to a wide range of interpretation. The severity and location of the flaw should be considered also. Perhaps you could ask your employer to supply you with "their" quality control inspection checklist to help you make those decisions. It can become easy over time to begin to pass things on to patients that really shouldn't be. Stand your ground when it comes to quality, it is what your patients/customers will ultimately judge you by, Chris..

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Sorry...
    solar=sun (sunglasses)
    The blemishes are appearing in sunglasses (finished goods) on the lenses. Most of the lenses have a mirror coating in the front so I am not sure if they are AR coated or not in the front - they are AR coated in the back. I know they have a scratch resistant coating front and back (suppossedly)

The blemishes are all located on the lens - sometimes in a corner, sometimes in the center, etc.

That is why I am going there: for everyone to agree on a quality standard. What is acceptable and what is not.

hope this helps

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper Hard coat problem.....................

Original lenses do not have blemishes on their surfaces.

Neither does the mirror or AR coating unless the magnify a blemish underneath.

Therefore there is only one layer left that is to blame.............your hard coat. If the application room is not fully dustfree (clean room) the could be dust particles.

If a UV curable coating has been used on CR39 which is very porous some water or humidity left in the pores might have steamed up during the short and hot curing cycle and created bubbles.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Thanks Chris.

BTW, We work mostly with polycarbonate and polyamide lenses.

Thread Information