Thread: Oakley in Lenscrafters

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Oakley in Lenscrafters

I hope just a rumor, but has anyone heard anything about Oakley going into Lenscrafters ?

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    They are in Sunglass Hut, which is owned by the same company as Lenscrafters.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

is that better together?

oakley and sgh always had friction. Sgh never recieved a good discount from Oakley. The argument was will have your sunglasses in sgh and will do an AUTHENTIC OAKLEY RX. give us a better deal(remember EYE-X). I certainly hope it doesn't happen. Oakley has their own optical store. Lensecrafters has Lenscrafters Boutique. I hope Oakley kick ***!! It's American all the way!!!:cheers:

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Gino View Post
    I hope Oakley kick ***!! It's American all the way!!!:cheers:
    Except that most of it is made in China ;).
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Oakley.............Lux.........

There was a press release a few month ago were they announced some cooperation agreement.

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
    Except that most of it is made in China ;).
    So that tour I had of the Oakley Foothills Ranch facility and seeing all those frames being made - that was just smoke and mirrors, right?

Don't speak of what you don't know first hand. I don't doubt that some components are made elsewhere, but I saw plenty of complete frames being manufactured in their facility.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Audiyoda View Post
    So that tour I had of the Oakley Foothills Ranch facility and seeing all those frames being made - that was just smoke and mirrors, right?

Don't speak of what you don't know first hand. I don't doubt that some components are made elsewhere, but I saw plenty of complete frames being manufactured in their facility.

Actually, there was a whole thread here last year about how Oakley is moving more and more of its frame production away from its American manufacturer to China. This has been very recent. So Jedi is somewhat correct.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    and I know the few I've seen in the office lately had the "China" stamp on the temple.
    www.opticaljedi.com
    www.facebook.com/opticaljedi
    www.twitter.com/opticaljedi

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Actually MOST Oakleys don't even have a country of origin marked on them! How do they get away with that?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Short List...

I would be interested to know if there are any frame manufacturers at all that are made entirely here in the states. I would be surprised to know their names so I might do business with them if I could, Chris.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    CME4SPECS: <<Actually MOST Oakleys don't even have a country of origin marked on them! How do they get away with that?>>

Made in the US marking rules are controlled by the FTC. Country of origin marking rules for imports are US Customs rules. The FTC rules are a bit excessive. It is hard to achieve legal Made in US markings. So the lack of a country of origin is legal and typically is for product made in the US but lacking in 100% FTC compliance for Made in US marks.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The made in USA frames from Oakley are labeled quite proudly in large bold letters. The others have NO indication of country of origin at all. I thought all products need to have a country of origin on them.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    CME4SPECS: <<The made in USA frames from Oakley are labeled quite proudly in large bold letters. The others have NO indication of country of origin at all. I thought all products need to have a country of origin on them.>>

Only imports require country of origin. Products made in the US fall into two circumstances - those that qualify under the FTC rules for Made in US marks and those that do not. The later group have no country mark.

I'm no lawyer but have been told that a meaningful percentage of products marked Made in US are in fact not legally marked. The FTC rules are very limiting to mark Made in US.

I was in the mist of the issue years ago and read the FTC rules. Things may have changed but it was really hard to use Made in US as I read the rules and our lawyer agreed.

The fact that some O's are marked and some are not, may well hint that they are being very meticulous re the FTC rules.

As for the general issue of where O's are made in a common sense view: It is a high % made here. Anyone who has been in their factory knows this.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

all about the MONEY.............

money,,,money,,,,money

Quote Originally Posted by ardie1088 View Post
    I hope just a rumor, but has anyone heard anything about Oakley going into Lenscrafters ?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't think it'll matter much. LC sells Maui Jims, but how often do they actually sell one? Not very often when I was there. People who go to LC are expecting to p/u in one hour, regardless of what they want to buy. It's instant gratification! If you tell someone it'll take up to 3 weeks for some Oakleys, they won't sell very frequently.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer

Wave Made in USA

Quote Originally Posted by FVCCHRIS View Post
    I would be interested to know if there are any frame manufacturers at all that are made entirely here in the states. I would be surprised to know their names so I might do business with them if I could, Chris.
    When you mean "entirely", do you also include parts like spring hinges? If so, it would be impossible because I am almost sure that no one make frame hinges in USA.

Another thing, platting process is a highly polluted industry. I doubt any one will be happy to deal with EPA, for frame production.

Aska

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation

Made in the US

From a manufacturing point of view it is possible to make frames in the US, however the cost of production would be slightly higher even with automated equipment. The biggest problem to day is to have metal frames made you need metal componets, end pieces nose pad locators, etc. In Japan, China, Korea and other countries there are these sub contractors. In the US there are not any. Just like the auto industry, you need sub contractors. An automobile company and a frame manufacturer are similar in this way. Automobile companies produce some of the parts, but they are more of a design, marketing and assembly company, with many sub contractors producing trim parts etc.

There is not optical frame cottage sub supplier base in the US so the capital needed do it all is too expensive.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AWTECH View Post
    In Japan, China, Korea and other countries there are these sub contractors. In the US there are not any. Just like the auto industry, you need sub contractors. An automobile company and a frame manufacturer are similar in this way. Automobile companies produce some of the parts, but they are more of a design, marketing and assembly company, with many sub contractors producing trim parts etc.

There is not optical frame cottage sub supplier base in the US so the capital needed do it all is too expensive.

Awtech makes a good point. In another thread there is a question about becoming wealthy in the optical business. Maybe there is a potential for building wealth with this shortcoming in the American made frame arena:idea:

P.S. If anybody takes that idea and does become extremely wealthy, I expect to be well compensated for mentioning the idea and potential profit!

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation

Frames made in the US

Fezz said:
    Maybe there is a potential for building wealth with this shortcoming in the American made frame arena
    Yes the idea is valid, the problem is I doubt that there is any investment capital for such an idea.

A side comment: Today such a US frame factory that qualified as MADE in the US under FDA guidelines might be actually produced in a large part by illegal workers.

Thread Information