Thread: Specialty Items, new topic

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Specialty Items, new topic

I want to start a thread for specialty and sub-specialty items.

What am I talking about?

If one has a lot of customers who are professional lawncare people, or bikers or whatever. You have used frame X with lens type Y for this application and had very good or very poor results.
    The fishermen in Maine like product Q and the ones in Mississippi like Z.

This sort of thing. Some of us might make a safety pair of glasses twice a year, others may do 20 a week. Presumeably the 2 a year of us could learn a lot from the 20 a week people.

If one of us uses or sells an item, like P.C. Peekers for example why not share this?

Chip:cheers:

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Chip,

Have you ever met the customer asking to change their safety glasses with power lenses especially bifocal? Kindly share with me.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sam:
    I'm afraid that the reason I posted this is I do very, very little of this type work. I feel there is a great market for this and I don't feel that I am pursueing it adequately. I do some contract work for a railroad but it's one of those things were you do what they tell you and get a dispensing fee.
    Had hoped that some of our posters would have some dynamite approaches and products they would share.

Chip

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Chip,

The request of safety glasses with correction from oil company for working on oil field. I am waiting the sample of the their safety glasses.

Sam
    :cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

specialty

ok, chip, heres one ive done a couple of times, if you have a plant that you are doing safety glasses at and the person has to walk into a cold enviorment from a hot one, make two pair of glasses one that is kept in the cold enviorment and the other in the hot enviorment, saves all the fogging problems

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Harry, do you have some tips for changing safety glasses with correction lenses? Especially with bi-focal or progressive as well.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper make two pairs......................

Quote Originally Posted by harry a saake View Post
    ....................................make two pair of glasses one that is kept in the cold enviorment and the other in the hot enviorment, saves all the fogging problems
    It would save the problem...........but the company that pay's for the glasses will want you to solve it the smart, and not the costly way by supplying a product or an application that will prevent the glasses from fogging up. :finger:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm looking for a product to replace the 'sports glasses' we were selling for a couple of years which turned out to be so problematic we had to discontinue carrying them. Other than my own, which I've had for two years and worn extensively when fishing and other outdoor activities, I've replace the complete unit for each and every client we dispensed them to.

Is there anything else out there which features a flip-up wraparound polarized shield on an rx lens chassis? I've attached a picture of what we're wanting to replace. I have a definite market for these to folks who fish, bike, hike, etc. as the flip up shield provides the convenience of not having the dark lenses when on, say, a shaded trail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sports glasses 001.jpg  

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Cindy,

What was the problem ?

Have you tried Rduy projects?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi John

Does Rudy Project have something similar to these? I've heard of them but don't know if there's any representation in our area. I've checked their website and though they have many sports glasses with RX inserts, there doesn't appear to be any with the wonderful flip-up feature specific to the RX Sunsport. Its the flip-up shield that sets these apart as anyone who has ever had to hike down to a lake or stream with hands full of fishing gear or camping supplies will tell you.

The problems with the RX Sport are the fact the material the chassis and wrap-clip is made of breaks easily; it doesn't feel brittle and appears quite flexible and forgiving but obviously not as every one dispensed has had a failure and not due to mishandling from what I've seen. Many of the clients I've dispensed them to are known to me as being quite responsible with their eyewear and there is zero evidence of accident or mishandling. Also, the clip rubs on the rx insert and creates significant friction scuffs on the clip.

I really want to source out something to replace these before spring.
    Last edited by Cindy K; 12-31-2006 at 03:10 PM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If I remember correctly, the Rudy Project flip-up is the RB-3.

Thread Information