Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rose Polarized Poly Lenses

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeFitWell View Post
    Hello, people! MAUI JIM! Prescription ultra light poly lenses, gorgeous styles, high quality, rose tint!
    Audiyoda-check with Maui Jim. They are (IMO) the highest quality polarized lens on the market. They fit all the requirements you set. They are good people and they stand behind their products.
    Sorry man, Maui doesn't do rose in Rx - only neutral grey and HCL bronze. They do Rose in glass, but that's not an option.

And for what it's worth - they get their Rx lenses from Younger Optics - I'm good friends with the east coast Younger rep.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by WHVISIONLAURIE View Post
    a polycarbonate polarized clip would be an inexpensive option for this patient. zclips are customized magnetic clips for any frame. they add virtually no weight to the lens and are not $$$$$$$$$$ like the custom lenses you are talking about. PM me for more info.
    Bad option (don't people read??). Too much weight - this lady suffers from severe migraines - a clip would almost double the weight of what she's wearing. Plus...the beta-titanium frames plus trivex lenses she's already wearing are tinted to 50% rose with the BPI FL-41 tint. Putting a clip over those would be disasterous.

I need a dedicated pair of Rose poly polarized lenses.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

not these clips

perhaps that is true of most clips but these ones are incredibly light, they are a thin polarized film polycarb, very very light. a polarized pair of sunglasses is great but you said cost was an issue. i read. you said weight was an issue, and i know these clips are ultralight. i didn't read that the lense were already tinted though, that would be an issue. just trying to help! :-)
    Last edited by foureyes; 10-09-2006 at 03:39 PM. Reason: addition

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeFitWell View Post
    Hello, people! MAUI JIM! Prescription ultra light poly lenses, gorgeous styles, high quality, rose tint!
    Audiyoda-check with Maui Jim. They are (IMO) the highest quality polarized lens on the market. They fit all the requirements you set. They are good people and they stand behind their products.
    Maui Jim does not, and will not for the foreseeable future, offer their wonderful rose poly lens in rx. I have spoken to people at Maui Jim and begged them to do it, but they have no future plans at all for offering it. I'm fairly sure that you'll be able to get their new Evolution lens in Rose rx someday, but probably not for a year or more.

By the way, I am not employed by Maui Jim, et cetera. I just like staying informed.

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Why no Rose

The problem with a special color polarized lens is the quantity needed to produce these is huge. I assume no lens manufacturer sees enought reward to have these made. And many lens companies do not really have much knowledge of the polarized lenses they do offer. There are very few polarized prescription lens makers other than those making CR-39 polarized. There are many patents that restrict who can make many types of polarized lenses. The CR-39 method is no longer covered by patents. The Japanese and have many of the polarized patents.

OptiBoard Apprentice Steelerfan's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Crier

Glad this is your patient not mine. She sounds like the whiny type that basically doesn't know true problems, so they develop their own and then want the world to feel so caring and sorry for them. Sorry just venting, but haven't we all had these types that turned into long term nightmares you hate to see darkening your door???

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelerfan View Post
    Glad this is your patient not mine. She sounds like the whiny type that basically doesn't know true problems, so they develop their own and then want the world to feel so caring and sorry for them. Sorry just venting, but haven't we all had these types that turned into long term nightmares you hate to see darkening your door???
    Nice attitude. Glad you don't work in my office.

For what it's worth - my wife has suffered from migraines since she was a teen - Migraines are real and can be debilitating. Thankfully, my wife's migraines are nothing compared to what this patient goes through. My patient has been in that position for many years but has found the courage to move on with her life after losing her husband of 30+ years. Until recently she's had a patner in life to help her deal with the pain she's in - she doesn't have that partner now so rather than fall into a deep hole, she's making a real effort to be self-sufficient.

It's opticians like you who make my job more and more difficult. Your attitude, your demeanor...how unfortunate you've decided to work in an customer-care based industry. might I suggest a trip to your local industrial waste plant - I'm sure they have job openings and you'd fit in rather well.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Audiyoda View Post
    Nice attitude. Glad you don't work in my office.

For what it's worth - my wife has suffered from migraines since she was a teen - Migraines are real and can be debilitating. Thankfully, my wife's migraines are nothing compared to what this patient goes through. My patient has been in that position for many years but has found the courage to move on with her life after losing her husband of 30+ years. Until recently she's had a patner in life to help her deal with the pain she's in - she doesn't have that partner now so rather than fall into a deep hole, she's making a real effort to be self-sufficient.

It's opticians like you who make my job more and more difficult. Your attitude, your demeanor...how unfortunate you've decided to work in an customer-care based industry. might I suggest a trip to your local industrial waste plant - I'm sure they have job openings and you'd fit in rather well.
    I agree with you !!! I have suffered with migraines most of my life and know something about what she is going through. I have a rose tint on my specs, just haven't needed polaroids yet.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelerfan View Post
    HEY! Some people do have problems that are more severe than problems that you or I may have. Some of us get great satisfaction in being able to help solve their problems!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Wwwaittt...a minute!

Perhaps we could try to provide this patient with an acceptable non-polarized solution to her problem?? We all know how preferable a polarized lens is but would this patient be better served by a non-polarized lens if we could then supply her with the exact color tint she needs?? Just a thought since it seems we are running out of options, Chris..

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by FVCCHRIS View Post
    Perhaps we could try to provide this patient with an acceptable non-polarized solution to her problem?? We all know how preferable a polarized lens is but would this patient be better served by a non-polarized lens if we could then supply her with the exact color tint she needs?? Just a thought since it seems we are running out of options, Chris..
    That's obviously an option - I would prefer something to reduce/eliminate glare that I believe will be of great detriment to her. But it appears that is what I'm may to have to do - I have a pair of VR-28 polarized uncuts coming from Oakley. If they don't work for her, then a basic tint will have to be enough.

OptiBoard Apprentice Steelerfan's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    OK, OK, .... Maybe I was a little too hard on the Beav last time. Waste plant??? Wow, now thats HARSH! I actually am a very caring customer service oriented optician who's been doing this close to 20 years. Guess I came off a little strong. 'Nuff Said. :finger:

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

outside the box

Have you considered an off-label use of the b&L Nike Maxsight in Amber??
    That would be pretty lightweight!

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by nickrock View Post
    Have you considered an off-label use of the b&L Nike Maxsight in Amber??
    That would be pretty lightweight!

Amber won't help migraines.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Opticians should know their product and suppliers...................

Quote Originally Posted by FVCCHRIS View Post
    We all know how preferable a polarized lens is but would this patient be better served by a non-polarized lens if we could then supply her with the exact color tint she needs??
    This proposed solution by Chris is the first sensible answer on this thread. People can still live and exist without looking through polarod filters.

The selling optician will have to settle a sale for a few less bucks, the parient will be happy and not even remember the name polaroid 2 wekks down the road.

The opticians should also know their products and suppliers before suggesting a solution that is not feasible.

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by EncoreJim View Post
    I just did a google search using "rose color sunglass lenses: and found some polycarbonate polarized lesnes in some sunwear. You could probably contact them and see if you can get some of the lenses and maybe make a clip-on for her clear eyewear if you caccnot get rx'able blanks. Just a thought.
    I know that for a clip on your can get a vermilion polarized, polycarbonate lenses from E Clips Custom Clips. Here is a link to the site so you can see the color. If its hard to tell, call and ask for Melissa the customer service manager (tell her michelle klassen ref'd you) and see if she can send you a sample lens so that you can show your patient. P.S. I don't work for the company :D and not all clips are that heavy!

(510) 923-0568

http://www.clipon.com/lenses.php

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    This proposed solution by Chris is the first sensible answer on this thread. People can still live and exist without looking through polarod filters.

The selling optician will have to settle a sale for a few less bucks, the parient will be happy and not even remember the name polaroid 2 wekks down the road.

The opticians should also know their products and suppliers before suggesting a solution that is not feasible.
    Actually, the first sensible suggestion was my own at using the polarized VR-28 lens from Oakley.

As someone who has seen migraines in action, a polarized lens is almost a must. And I will go to whatever ends I need to find a lens - I take great offense when someone says ...opticians should also know their products and suppliers before suggesting a solution that is not feasible. I know my products better than 99% of the opticians I know. Having worked on the lab side for 1/2 my time in optics, I know lenses very well. But there's always the chance there is a small relatively unknown company offering something others aren't. Take BellOptics - how many people really know about their Polarchromics lenses? I do...but many don't and it's a difficult company to research - if your lab isn't dealing with them, you won't find much about them.

Chris, I know you're well respected on these boards - but maybe you need to research your stance before typing. A migraine sufferer's number one complaint is sensativity to scattered light - what helps control scattered light...a polarized filter. So if I can find something that will work for my patient, I'll look for the best possible solution based on what is available. My hope was a poly polarized rose tinted lens - that's not available. The next best solution is Oakley's VR-28 polarized lens - which is available.

I should mention the patient in question has been wearing these lenses for the last three days and loves them. She has called twice this week to tell me how nicely they work.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Snitgirl View Post
    I know that for a clip on your can get a vermilion polarized, polycarbonate lenses from E Clips Custom Clips. Here is a link to the site so you can see the color. If its hard to tell, call and ask for Melissa the customer service manager (tell her michelle klassen ref'd you) and see if she can send you a sample lens so that you can show your patient. P.S. I don't work for the company :D and not all clips are that heavy!

(510) 923-0568

http://www.clipon.com/lenses.php
    Thanks for the suggestion snitgirl, I had considered a clip as my third option. But for the record - to a migraine sufferer, a clip can weight a ton under the right conditions.

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I know what you mean, I've been down that road with migraines myself. I got lucky though and found out my migraines were caused by lack of liquid intake. Me and H2O are the best of friends!!

Here is another suggestion for your 3rd option(clipon) to tell what the weight is going to be like for your patient.

When speaking to Melissa at E Clips about the vermilion poly/polarized lens, ask her if you can fax a photo copy/shape of the patients current (clear) glasses. Then ask her if she can do a search for a clip (that did not pass inspection) which looks like the copy. This way, she can send it to you to try on your patients frame (might not be the "perfect" fit but a good example) and the patient can then tell if the weight is going to bother them or not prior to having one made. Just another suggestion for your option 3..

Occupation
    Re: Polarized poly lenses with rose colored tint

Smoke (gray-c) or Chocolate (brown-c) - and Sunset, Grass, Copper, Sunflower, Rose, Violet, Ocean, Caramel, Ash, or Forrest ...

That is on the website that was just posted in OptiBoard's Optical Industry News about the iRx Short short corridor PAL from Specialty Lens, announced as available in polarized 1.56 and polarized polycarbonate.

It at least suggests the possibility that dispensers with requirements that are similar to the ones that led to this thread may find something from iRx Specialty Lens.

Last edited by rinselberg; 11-19-2006 at 07:32 PM.

Occupation
    Well one, I needed SV, not a PAL. Two, it appears they are only making Chocolate and Smoke in poly, the other colors are avaliable in 1.56 index.

Anyway...the patient has been very happy with the Oakley VR-28 polarized lens.
    Last edited by Audiyoda; 11-20-2006 at 01:59 PM.

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation

You might try ordering. . .

a Grey A polariod and tinting it the color you need. I know you're not supposed to do it, but we do it sometimes. If you're using a BPI unit turn it down to 3 or 4 and watch the color closely. There is no return.

Good luck!!
    Days where my gratitude exceed my expectations are very good days!

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Framebender View Post
    a Grey A polariod and tinting it the color you need. I know you're not supposed to do it, but we do it sometimes. If you're using a BPI unit turn it down to 3 or 4 and watch the color closely. There is no return.

Good luck!!
    That was one of my first thoughts - then finding a grayA in poly became more of a chore than I expected. I personally have a pair of SLC 1.60 grayA tinted to match Maui Jim's rosetone along with the double gradient mirror (something MJ siad can't be copied :hammer:). But SLC went and changed the base color of the grayA 1.60 from a fairly neutral gray to a green/gray - labs still working on my new one's and has been for three months. So I figured that wasn't the best course of action.

I'm also amazed that no one makes a poly grayA lens. Would be a real god send to those of us comfortable tinting polarized lenses. Would allow for a multitude of colors.

But as I stated, the Oakley VR-28's worked out fabulously for the patient.

Thread Information