Thread: Highmark buys ECCA... is Walmart happy about this?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Highmark buys ECCA... is Walmart happy about this?

Hi everyone,

I recently heard that WalMart was upset with Davis vision after Highmark purchased ECCA. Apparently, adding 300+ new retail locations to the Davis network isn't sitting well with Walmart.

I work for an insurance company that has access to VSP and EyeMed plans so I'm interested in how Davis (major competitor) would be affected if Walmart doesn't renew it's contract with Davis.

Anyone have any insight to this?

I've really enjoyed the discussions on OptiBoard... great info!

Thanks,

AW

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by insurance guy View Post
    Hi everyone,

I work for an insurance company that has access to VSP and EyeMed plans so I'm interested in how Davis (major competitor) would be affected if Walmart doesn't renew it's contract with Davis.
    AW
    From what I hear out in the field, Walmart didn't honor the contract anyway. The reason Walmart ended up with it is because Davis couldn't show enough dots on a map to go out and sell the plan to employers (or other insurance companies).

I've been telling all the HR folks around here that they'd be better off with no vision insurance than a lousy (Davis) plan. Employees know when they've been shorted.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think that depends...

We work with one Davis plan where the company pays for the insurance for the employee, and if they want to add dependents, it is a small monthly fee.

In that plan they get an exam with no copay.
    Glass, CR-39, or Poly with the regular $10 copay..
    Frame allowance up to $115 or red/yellow. $15 for the premier (blue)
    No copays for progressives...
    Significant discounts on coatings, high index and transitions.
    Plus the ability to prepurchase multiple pairs for a significant 30-50% discount...

Of course most plans aren't this good.. but the patients are very happy with this plan. Most of the Davis plans we work with are on par with the other two big boys..

The Davis plan just has a double edged sword. They can control costs for great deals by utilizing their own labs. However patients do get frustrated that it can take 2-3 weeks to get those glasses back..

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Thanks for your help (both of you). I consider Davis to be similar to Avesis and Spectera which (in my opinion) aren't quite as good as EyeMed (and believe me, I know EyeMed has it's share of shortcomings). For some reason, employees really want their vision network to include Walmart. Frankly, it baffles us in the insurance biz.

Our best selling and highest satisfaction plans are with VSP eventhough they're a little more expensive. Rest assured, the educated buyers still want the independent ECPs.

Please keep me posted if you hear any more about a fallout between Walmart and Davis...

Thanks again!

Cheers!

AW

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee View Post
    The Davis plan just has a double edged sword. They can control costs for great deals by utilizing their own labs. However patients do get frustrated that it can take 2-3 weeks to get those glasses back..
    Cassandra
    \

Which is exactly the reason independents don't want to touch the plan. The patient doesn't care whose lab it is, all they know is that they went to your office, and now they're waiting 2-3 weeks for their glasses.

We do our Spectera in-house, and most single visions are out same day, bifocals and progressives in 2-3 days. The $$ is nothing to sneeze at either.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Spectera in house?

So, Johns, you can and choose to do work paid by Spectera in your in-house lab instead of sending to their lab? I guess you have had no problems with Spectera? Do the reimbursements more than cover the costs and your time (plus a profit, I hope)?
    I ask because we decided not to take Spectera because we must use their lab. I am wrong?
    Thanks for the info.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I must say Davis is getting better, must be that new facility they opened up.

I am starting to get them in consistantly in less than 2 weeks, and the majority of the patients are more than willing to wait if they save several hundred dollars..

Part of it may be phrasing or setting the expectation. I normally do with Davis the same thing VSP requires which is showing them the U&C and their portion so they can see the savings. To which most times the answer is "I can wait a couple of weeks for that!" If not, then we offer to do a second pair at prepay pricing, through a local lab for better turn around and change it into a 2 pair sale ;)

Of course, we could be different since 30% of our business is Davis, with the majority through a large national contract. Which reminds me.. I need to finish prepping for my audit in 2 weeks...

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcE View Post
    So, Johns, you can and choose to do work paid by Spectera in your in-house lab instead of sending to their lab? I guess you have had no problems with Spectera? Do the reimbursements more than cover the costs and your time (plus a profit, I hope)?
    I ask because we decided not to take Spectera because we must use their lab. I am wrong?
    Thanks for the info.
    Without getting into it, the answer is "Yes & Yes". (We covered this at length in other threads about 3 months ago)

Thread Information