Thread: Topography Map

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Topography Map

A consumer posted here a little while ago, seeming upset, that there was no 'objective' way to compare progressives. He apparently didn't get the 'right' answer from his optician, so came here to fuss us out. He was told it was a matter of preference.
    Well, I'm too young to wear bifocals, and I've often felt at a loss for personal imput. I can repeat what the rep says about the lenses, but that's about it. However, I was doing my homework and came across topographical charts/maps (I forget what they were officially called) that showed the areas of distortion in the lenses. While I've never encountered them in three years in the field, wouldn't that be a perfect response to his complaint? That would give the ECP an objective way to compare lenses, right?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    They are iso maps and are not a great way of determining or even comparing progressives. For one example a lens looks the same on the iso maps as far as how much cyl is at a certain point, but what you don't see on those maps is at what degree is that cyl. If the cyl is at the same angle as the patients cyl correction than they are more likely to adapt to it, however if it is off by any degree than it gets harder and harder to adapt to. Their are a slew of other reasons that the charts would not necesarily be the best way to compare, but like you I would still like to be provided with that info from my lens reps. I always tell the lens reps to save the mumbo jumbo, because they all say the same stuff, basically their lens is the best, easiest to adapt too, will wake up in the morning and make cofee for the patient, blah blah blah. I personally like the progressive identifier from laramy-k for the information as to hard design and soft design. If you pick up a good ophthalmic optics book and get a good understanding of progressives and get the identifier from laramy-k then ask your patients the correct lifestyle questions I have found very little patient disatisfaction.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Whoa, Harry! I want a pair of those coffee lenses! They sound great!:bbg:
    Thanks for the input. I agree that sales reps (as they are doing their job) all say their lens is the best. I wish I could try them myself, so I could better tell patients what to expect. But, I suppose I'll just have to wait until I'm old enough;)

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Why Reps Dont Give Maps ???

EYEFITWELL ... You would normally find it difficult to get maps for
    the "latest and greatest progressives" most companies would like to sell you and the main reason is that the All the progressives are very similar !!!

By giving out concrete maps for there designs the optical companies would not be able to
    generate and maintain this "coffee making" halo around there expensive new launches.. :cheers: With champagne off course..

As in a progressive of a particular addition and corridor length a certain amount of unwanted astimatism HAS TO BE
    Produced ..

This is dictated by certain mathmatical theorems like the MINKWITZ theorem .

The unwanted cyclinder can ONLY be juggled around in the lens but neither reduced or removed from
    the lens .

Try reading the PDF Files on the link for some independent research on various progressives

http://www.optometry.osu.edu/research/coor/4059.cfm

Let me know if you can find any clear winners in Dr sheedys research .
    Last edited by vikramg; 10-04-2006 at 02:36 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

best way to explain the difference...

is trying them out on different patients and employees of the practice. I usually explain what the marketing material/rep has to say about the products..but will also constantly compare/contrast to other patients/rx's. I know this doesn't answer your question but this is what came to my mind right away...for example: like I said in a different post regarding the Kodak Unique lenses: supposedly the best lens on the market (if you ask a rep or read the material lol)

I have had NO PROBLEMS with these lenses (except the pair my OD is wearing) patients have loved them...liked them...not had any problems with them - but...were just as happy in their previous progressive lens. BUT...their price is soooooo low for the first month or so of being out that I've been using it more....I don't know that I have enough evidence to charge $100 more for a pair of progressive lenses to the Kodak Unique's when patients love their old Varilux Comforts just as much lol.

There's so much marketing to sort through in this field...I'm glad we have places like this to talk with others that have tried things out...
    ABOC, NCLC, CPO, FNAO

Thread Information