Thread: Florida News: Unlicensed C L Sales

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Unhappy Florida News: Unlicensed C L Sales

From OPTICAL DISPENSING NEWS
    FLORIDA TV NEWS REPORTS UNLICENSED CONTACT LENS SALES Central Florida's WESH-TV Newschannel 2000 reported on an "undercover" investigation of 25 locations (including beauty salons, beauty supply stores, convenience stores, and gas stations) throughout central Florida that sell cosmetic contact lenses. Thirteen of the 25 retailers did not have the necessary license and did not require a contact lens prescription. And although manufacturers' packaging warned that lenses were not to be sold individually, reporters were able to purchase them individually. The story is available at: http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/wesh/20.../391710_1.html
    What is the scoop down there guys?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs down

Jo,

Thanks for bringing up this very topic. I have had concerns about "Bootleg" contact lens sales. A couple of years ago, as president of the Opticians Association of Georgia, I was a part of investigative reports on this issue. I also went out (much to my husband's dismay, when he found out) and investigated areas that I was informed about with regard to illeagal contact lens sales. Some of what I found was contact lens sales in beauty shops, flea markets, kiosks in malls, out of the trunks of cars, as well as, get this!!! Used contacts being sold from a second chance shop that sold pagers, cell phones, watches, you name it and reversable contact lenses. I got tape recordings, pictures, and very unhappy sales clerks.

We ran television investigative reports, as well. Does this help? It will only help when ALL of us do something. As licenses professionals, we have a responsibility to the consumer to "not cause harm". If we are aware of illeagal practices and do nothing about them, we are in reality in violation of our own license laws, and "do cause harm", by not reporting them, and doing what we can to inform the public of the dangers that can occur by being a part of illeagal purchases. They WON'T know unless we tell them. So we need to do just that.

Anyway, you hit a nerve, and I've made my soapbox comments.
    :finger:

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Bad address email on file

Question

Jo,
    Can you please tell me for how much contact lenses are sold in optical shops in States,I mean plano freshlook colour blends.
    Thanks,
    Sara

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Smilie cls

:bbg: Sara, here in our shop in N.C. we sell them at the same price, as all the costs and amounts of time are the same.

Bad address email on file

Thumbs up

Harrr Saake,
    All the same, great, is'nt it?
    Thanks,
    Sara:cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

:cheers: Hi Sara, doesthis mean your buying the beer whenever by chance we happen to meet.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    During the session that just closed, the Florida Legislature upped the classification of selling contact lenses illegally from a misdemeanor to a felony.

I also note that, as part of their "settlement" with attorneys from 32 states (among them Florida, as we've never met a manufacturer that we didn't want to sue), Vistakon got an agreement from those states that they would "actively enforce contact lens dispensing laws."

I'll bring the article to which you referred to Mark Miller's attention (director of the P.O.F.)- although I'm sure he's seen it by now. I'll let you know what he has to say...

As I recall, Vistakon paid around $45 million in their settlement (the case involved allegations that contact lens manufacturers conspired with doctors to keep contact lens prices up and supplies away from retailers like 1800Contacts). Seems to me that if the State Attorneys don't hold up their end of the agreement (to prosecute retailers who illegally sell contacts) Vistakon is owed some money back!

Pete

Thread Information