Thread: Computer Progressives: Definity or Access

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Computer Progressives: Definity or Access

OK, so I've met with a couple of reps, and of course even when they are honest (and they usually are), they still will want you to use their product, so I just want to get it from a couple of you.

Do you have a preference for a particular computer progressive when you're fitting patients? Assuming that there is no need for distance, I'm guessing Access would be the lens, But is the intermediate width really that much better in Definity that a traditional progressive can be an effective Computer pair?
    www.opticaljedi.com
    www.facebook.com/opticaljedi
    www.twitter.com/opticaljedi

Occupation
    Optometrist
    JMHO, but you are talking about degrees.

Sure, some "general purpose" progressive designs can perform in the same ballpark as a "task specific" progressive design...

But, do you want to do that?

1.) You may want to fit the best general progressive design you can for the patient's needs: ex, if you identify a heavy computer user, without contraindications otherwise, maximize the intermediate area in their general purpose progressives.

2.) Explain that there may be need for an additional design to optimize their computer use, if the general purpose pair proves to be less than optimal.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I tend to agree with that, I just wanted to cut through some of what I was being told, and get to some real world applications from all of you. Thanks.
    www.opticaljedi.com

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    To be honest, I have had my best success with SV/ or Bifocal w/ intermediate(computer range) in the distance and full reading in the seg. I have used the AO Technica, the Zeiss Gradal RD, and the Shamir Office. My best success was with the Shamir product. I have found that many patients do not want to spend another dime on a second pair to begin with and the SV or FT is a little easier to swallow.

Fezz
    :cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well the expense really isn't an issue here. It is beverly hills after all ;)

I've heard some good things about the Office as well, but have very little experience with it.
    www.opticaljedi.com

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    If the patient just want something for near work, I think computer progressive would be the way to go.

Not too long ago I fitted a patient (who used to wear SV near) a pair of Sola Max. He totally can't get used to it and complained that it's useless for his desk work which involves looking at computer and documents. Distance vision was fine however. I fitted him into a progressive (solamax) because he wanted something for distance as well. BUt then he is at his desk 80% of the time.

So i switched him to Access. The moment he put it on for reading , all the problems he experienced with solamax was gone. Basically he said peripheral distortion was gone and now he has a wide field of vision for reading .

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I like the Shamir Office although have used the Access some, both with good results. As far as the money thing most people in these parts will suffer vision for cost.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Win C View Post
    If the patient just want something for near work, I think computer progressive would be the way to go.

Not too long ago I fitted a patient (who used to wear SV near) a pair of Sola Max. He totally can't get used to it and complained that it's useless for his desk work which involves looking at computer and documents. Distance vision was fine however. I fitted him into a progressive (solamax) because he wanted something for distance as well. BUt then he is at his desk 80% of the time.

So i switched him to Access. The moment he put it on for reading , all the problems he experienced with solamax was gone. Basically he said peripheral distortion was gone and now he has a wide field of vision for reading .
    Actually, based on what I was just told, the Definity probably would have been a good choice for him. Though it was from the rep.
    www.opticaljedi.com

Occupation
    Optometrist
    We use the Access almost exclusively for our computer users. It rarely lets us down.

I think most all day computer users will understand the benefits of a separate pair for the office, especially when they get a +225 add in their progressive and the intermediate shrinks.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I REALLY like the Varilux Liberty for a computer lens. Put the intermediate power on top and the add on the bottom. The design has almost no channel to accommodate intermediate like a traditional PAL, aka "instant-add" and gives a much wider viewing area both above and below the 180.

I've used the Access and the Office. Patients seem to like the Liberty the best because it gives them a wider viewing area. The only drawback is the limited materials availability.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've always loved the Shamir Office for computer use. It allows them to read also, which a SV does not (usually). As for definity, it's definately better for computer use than your standard progressive, but I think you'd be best off with a task lens when possible.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'm a fan of Acess' design as well: it's not trying to do too much--no quasi-distance vision. It's my "go to" NVF/task lens.

If a person needs to see more than a cubicle's worth, then other designs like the Office is a good bet. But you lose peripheral clarity on the computer screen for that 12 feet of distance vision up at the top of the lens. May be worth it for those who are highly myopic and have to ambulate, ergo switching glasses frequently is a pain-in-the-rear.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    After years of SV INT and int top full near d28s, the hoya Tact is working well. It offers a distance window above the line of sight and two fitting points, 40% of add at pupil or 60% of add at pupil. I still go sv or d28 when neccesary, but my customers enjoy being able to see across the room.
    With an industry that continues to experience flat growth (sic redundancy) the best oppurtunities for us ecp's is to offer more options for second pairs. The tact is an ongoing effort in that direction.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by k12311997 View Post
    I like the Shamir Office although have used the Access some, both with good results. As far as the money thing most people in these parts will suffer vision for cost.
    Can you tell me about the dynamic power of Shamir Office? Since I never touch it at all.

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Jong View Post
    Can you tell me about the dynamic power of Shamir Office? Since I never touch it at all.
    four dynamic powers available, -.75, -1.25, -1.75, -2.25. the lens does allow for a distance area at the very top ranging from 13.5 ft to only 3 ft in a high add high dynamic config. requires 16 mm fitting ht and 29 B, mono pds and seg ht as progressive. usually we give the lab the full Rx and they calculate optimum lens configuration however we have specified a dynamic and near power to adjust the distance of the mid range. like I've said we have had good success with the lens I just wish more patients that spend 8 hours a day on the computer would see the value in it.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by k12311997 View Post
    four dynamic powers available, -.75, -1.25, -1.75, -2.25. the lens does allow for a distance area at the very top ranging from 13.5 ft to only 3 ft in a high add high dynamic config. requires 16 mm fitting ht and 29 B, mono pds and seg ht as progressive. usually we give the lab the full Rx and they calculate optimum lens configuration however we have specified a dynamic and near power to adjust the distance of the mid range. like I've said we have had good success with the lens I just wish more patients that spend 8 hours a day on the computer would see the value in it.
    Thanks for the nice information. I will be receiving the samples in few days, and will try to Rx it.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Big Smile How about......................

Being a guy that spends hours and hours on the computer per day you can have and keep all the progressives in the world.

I would never switch my ST35's for a progressive. Clear top vision and the whole keyboard is clear through my near segs. No distortion anywhere and no narrow progressive area.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Shamir Office

From the wholesale point of view-we process more Shamir office lens than any other NVF lens on the market. Great lens, few non-adapts, I personally wear and swear by this lens.
    Florida Optician;)

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have unbelievable success with the Nikon Online but I spoon feed my lab the RX I want instead of giving them the Doctor's original presciption. Stopped using the Access in 2001, not because it was a bad lens, I just wanted a lens with Crizal and that was when they stopped using it. Definity isn't a bad lens but I was never majorly impressed with its use for computer RX's.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I am suprised no one has mentioned the continum. It is a decent lens for the cost, not a whole lot of materials available and limited in base curves.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Ouote:
    "After years of SV INT and int top full near d28s, the HOTA Tact is working well. It offers a distance window above the line of sight and two fitting points, 40% of add at pupil or 60% of add at pupil."

Some of these lenses are only available in a limited range of "dynamic" add powers. The TACT add powers are +1.00 to +3.00 in .25 diopter steps.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Was the Access ever available thru Hilco as a snap together or modular system? I know they promoted a few NVO modular systems, but I vaguely rember a Access modular kit also, I looked in my most recent catalog with no luck. Have I been sniffing too much nose cheese, or can someone back me up?

Fezz
    :cheers:

Thread Information