Thread: Taking both NCLE and ABO test this November

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Taking both NCLE and ABO test this November

I was wondering if you guys can point me in the right direction. I am currently registered to take both the ABO and NCLE this November 19. I have had a little over a year experience working at a private practice as an "optician". Other then the dispensing portion, I have not studied anything more detailed. I know I am making a mistake by trying to cram for both test, but I'm thinking of just taking it since they charge a 50 dollar fee to transfer the NCLE to another date. Now my question, is it possible to pass both test with a little over a month of studying, or should I just eat that 50 dollars and transfer the NCLE to May of next year? The more important question is, which books do you guys recommend me buying to help me study for these test. I prefer just getting a nice solid book for each test. I found this link, but there are just too many books to choose from. Thanks guys!!
    http://www.nao.org/catalog/itemlist....pid=1&pcatid=0

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeEe View Post
    I was wondering if you guys can point me in the right direction. I am currently registered to take both the ABO and NCLE this November 19. I have had a little over a year experience working at a private practice as an "optician". Other then the dispensing portion, I have not studied anything more detailed. I know I am making a mistake by trying to cram for both test, but I'm thinking of just taking it since they charge a 50 dollar fee to transfer the NCLE to another date. Now my question, is it possible to pass both test with a little over a month of studying, or should I just eat that 50 dollars and transfer the NCLE to May of next year? The more important question is, which books do you guys recommend me buying to help me study for these test. I prefer just getting a nice solid book for each test. I found this link, but there are just too many books to choose from. Thanks guys!!
    http://www.nao.org/catalog/itemlist....pid=1&pcatid=0
    Hi MikeEe,

I say go for it...take them both!! You will get a good feel of what you do know and do not know for the next time, only if you have a next time. You just might suprise yourself..Besides, the tests are cheap (to me they are), well compared to what I will be taking here in Canada which is $600.00 bucks each..

As far as ABO Material, contact Michael R. DiSanto, ABOM. He's got some great stuff that will help you pass.. http://www.optiboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6577

As far as NCLE Material, contact Diane F. Drake, LDO, ABOM, FCLSA
    I hear she has some good stuff as well.
    http://www.optiboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4414

Good luck to you!!
    Michelle

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I really wanted to take the test this NOvember, but with the wedding I just couldn't swing the cost and study time. Oh well, in May I guess.

Y'know I've been doing this for (stopping to count) almost 17 years, I'm 33, and I still have never been licensed.
    www.opticaljedi.com
    www.facebook.com/opticaljedi
    www.twitter.com/opticaljedi

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I say go for it. If nothing else, it will point out your strengths and weaknesses for the next go round. I would suggest "System For Ophthalmic Dispensing" by Brooks/Borish. The above mentioned Mike DiSanto reference is good. It is called the TOPS manual. Both of these books do not cover contact lenses though! Good luck.

Fezz
    :cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I hear you Grubendol...

I just turned 36, been in the field since I was 15. Mostly worked for OD's so I was never encourage to get certified. Once I found Optiboard, that all changed, thanks to Ed's challange and a lot of other folks on this board.

I got my ABO, going to take the NCLE this Nov in Seattle and just graduated this Sept from BC College of Optics, here in Canada.
    Graduation now allows me to sit for the Canadian Exams. whoo hooo

Canadian Exams are 3 days worth, Nov 24, 25 & 26th. It will be a challange but I am looking forward to it..

Thank you as always to Optiboard and of course, thank you Mullo for your help while I was at the college...and Ted Morse (director BC College of Optics) too for putting the fire under my butt to do well.

Thanks everyone for being the professionals that you are!!:)
    Michelle

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yeah, I just became lab manager here about 5 months ago and my whole perspective on my career has changed. This was always a job, now I see this as my career, my profession. I want to be the best that I can and finding Optiboard has made me a much better optician, and also made me realize just how much I still have to learn.

Btw, I started when I was 16, working for my mom's OD. Always been with an OD. Still am.

And I love Vancouver/Seattle area. Jealous of where you live.
    www.opticaljedi.com
    www.facebook.com/opticaljedi
    www.twitter.com/opticaljedi

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sure sounds like a bunch of us are in the same shoes. I am 35. I started "officially" when I was 14. My dad ran a local lab. Got my foot in the door doing odd jobs, landscaping, etc. for the owners until I proved myself and was able to get working papers and such. I got ABO certified when I was 21-22. I am working on the ABO-C / Matsers now. I used to have a bug to get the NCLE, but not that interested right now. Maybe down the road.

MikeEe-Please let us know what you decide. Best of luck.

Fezz
    :cheers:

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Yeah! Go for it! I took both the same day and let me tell you...boy was I exhausted when I was done. As for contact lenses study info the best are
    Contact Lens Manual and the CLAO Residents Contact Lens Curriculum Manual I belive both are available through the NAO.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey guys thanks for the encouragement. I have decided to take them both. Diane did pm me with this website http://www.quantumoptical.com/coursesreview.asp
    Now do you guys think if I purchase both of these reviews, it will be possible to past them both? Will these reviews cover most if not all the materials on both test. Once I get some input, I will go ahead and pay for them. Thanks again guy!!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey guys thanks for the encouragement. I have decided to take them both. Diane did pm me with this website http://www.quantumoptical.com/coursesreview.asp
    Now do you guys think if I purchase both of these reviews, it will be possible to past them both? Will these reviews cover most if not all the materials on both test. Once I get some input, I will go ahead and pay for them. Thanks again guy!!!
    I know for a fact Michael Di Santos will for the ABO :D I don't know about the others.. I am pretty sure someone can answer that.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks Snitgirl, does anyone else have any input on these reviews? Thanks in advance:)

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes, I know my opinion might be a bit biased because I have a lil' something to do with the site, but who better to answer the question? :))

The ABO review IS the live/book TOPS Program by Mike DiSanto, converted for the web.

Diane Drake has given this exact same NCLE review at live events across the nation, again converted for the web.

Granted, some people do learn better in a live setting. However, there are a few advantages for these web versions over the live, from an education/learning/comprehension standpoint.

1. You get to read the slides at your own pace.

2. There are practice exams at the end of each 2 hr module (4 in all), and you can keep taking them until you are comfortable with the material.

3. It is one of the most complete reviews available entirely on the Internet.

4. They can only be found at www.quantumoptical.com , through exclusive arrangements with the authors to maintain the quality and integrity of the material.

5. Anything done on the web is just cool. :)

The reviews are NOT designed for people with absolutely no experience to sit for and successfully pass the exams, however I would imagine could be done with the right individual and additional study. If you have a basic understanding of the content for either exam, they are a great study guide and testing mechanism for review.

Good luck on the exam! If I can be of further assistance to anyone who has additional questions on our ABO/NCLE Online CE courses or Exam Review programs, please feel free to contact me directly.
    Michael Della Pesca
    Quantum Optical
    http://quantumoptical.com

NEW! Online ABO/NCLE CE Credits for Opticians!

NEW! Online REVIEW courses for the ABO and NCLE exams!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused what is the best study book for the ABO test?

hi everyone~ I am an optician who should really be studying for the ABO test and has no clue on what book is going to be the best to study with. If anyone out there has any advice or could give me a couple authors or titles it would greatly help. I heard the TOPS books is one of the best ones but i haven't been able to find it any where.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by catchthevision View Post
    hi everyone~ I am an optician who should really be studying for the ABO test and has no clue on what book is going to be the best to study with. If anyone out there has any advice or could give me a couple authors or titles it would greatly help. I heard the TOPS books is one of the best ones but i haven't been able to find it any where.

Contact Michael R. DiSanto, ABOM directly http://www.optiboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6577

Or contact www.nao.org
    see if they have any TOPS books left for purchase.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Snitgirl View Post
    I hear you Grubendol...

I just turned 36, been in the field since I was 15. Mostly worked for OD's so I was never encourage to get certified. Once I found Optiboard, that all changed, thanks to Ed's challange and a lot of other folks on this board.

I got my ABO, going to take the NCLE this Nov in Seattle and just graduated this Sept from BC College of Optics, here in Canada.
    Graduation now allows me to sit for the Canadian Exams. whoo hooo

Canadian Exams are 3 days worth, Nov 24, 25 & 26th. It will be a challange but I am looking forward to it..

Thank you as always to Optiboard and of course, thank you Mullo for your help while I was at the college...and Ted Morse (director BC College of Optics) too for putting the fire under my butt to do well.

Thanks everyone for being the professionals that you are!!:)
    Michelle
    Got my results for the NCLE test.. Passed..

Once again, want to thank Optiboard for encouraging me to continue my education, ED's Challange. Ted Morse, Sheree, Raymond & David from BC College of Optics and good o'l Mullo too! After the baby is born, I shall shoot for the Advance U.S.A. tests.. Keeping my fingers crossed for the Canadian exams, results should be at my door anytime now...If I pass those, I'll continue on with Canada's site testing exam.

I shall say it again...Thanks everyone for being the professionals that you are!!!:cheers:

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    got my results today too, I passed both test!!!:cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    got my results today too, I passed both test!!!:cheers:

Congrats, Congrats!!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation