Thread: Your thoughts on an edger that could handle avg. 46 jobs a day?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Your thoughts on an edger that could handle avg. 46 jobs a day?

I work at a retail store (OPTIC GALLERY) and edge for 5 of our other stores. All stores order their own uncuts from the wholesale lab and then they get send to me at our store. We have a briot (1998) thats at its end of its days and a year old Sentilla that the y motor is going out. We're looking for an edger that could handle the day in and day out, non stop edging (9hrs.) do they make heavy duty edgers that don't need to have a tech. sent to service the edger every 3 to 5 monthes all the time for some reason or another? Thank you, Tommy

Master OptiBoarder
    Back in NYC.....Shenzhen, China and Hong Kong
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I had a national optronics horizon III and it proved very reliable for 5 years. At the time we were edging 60-100 jobs a day.

Occupation
    Look into the Weco series edgers. They do very well for your typical jobs. If you are looking for an edger that drills as well, look at the new Briot alta or a used CL.
    The newer Cx and CL do not have the blue disk driver for the saftey bevel groove system. Briot switched to a moterized saftey bevel groove (and drill for the CL). Which is more reliable and has greater accuracy then the old blue disk system.

What is your volume of lens? ( by edge types, and special ar coats)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'l vouch for the Essilor Kappa CTD....it does everything for me including drill mounts. Mostly cut and insert, sizes perfectly.Also eliminates the layout with a lensometer as there is a built in one...one incredible machine!!

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Some are going to laugh at this, but I have sang the praises of the Weco 440/2440 edgers for years. We have a couple now that have the Elision Technologies patternless upgrades and they can faithfully run those types of numbers all day long, day in day out. At one point I had 4 2440's daisy chained with an Elision ET400 dual eye tracer and the edgers would put out approx. 300 pair per day. Of course that is all cr39 lenses. And as far as having a tech come in, no way. Most any lab tech with any aptitude can keep these going long term with a decent maintenance schedule. Anyway, I have an extra setup for a very reasonable price if you're interested. Thanks

Jim

Occupation
    I agree with Jim. The Weco line of edgers are defiantly reliable and build for lab volume in mind. They unfortunately do not offer the benfits of an all in one edger.
    The new Briot Alta appears to combined the Briot abilities (along with new abilities) with the German Weco engineering

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My last office had a Briot, and honestly I couldn't stand it. But that's just me.
    www.opticaljedi.com
    www.facebook.com/opticaljedi
    www.twitter.com/opticaljedi

Occupation
    Which briot did you have?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I have always loved the Briots I have worked on and training your staff to use it is a breeze.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    we use the kappa and it does every thing we need. it will easily handle 40-50 a day.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by nsg
    we use the kappa and it does every thing we need. it will easily handle 40-50 a day.
    The kappa is nice, but doesn't allow you as much control on the bevels in IMO.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Vision Equipment OptiBoard Corporate Sponsor Leo Hadley Jr's Avatar
    Occupation

Unbiased Opinion

I can give you an unbiased opinion on whatever edger you wish, I am unbiased because I sell them all!!!!!!!:D
    Check out my ebay store and give me a call. I can get you a great deal on whatever edger you choose.
    Thanks,
    www.stores.ebay.com/OptiForum
    :cheers:
    Leo Hadley Jr
    Vision Equipment
    T: 855.776.2020

www.visionequipmentinc.com

Occupation
    have never had a problem with bevel placement with the kappa...on any lens

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optronics 6ES, G-C Kappa (stay away from the Triumph), and Santinelli 7070 or 9000 (not the ME-1000) have all done 100+ jobs a day for me at various levels of my career.

Occupation

Briot Alta Nx

The new Briot Alta Nx is the best machine you can by. Just try it and you will by one.

Occupation
    Optometrist

Big Smile Briot

i know the right machine, named BRIOTT
    based on my friends experience, it can handle average 80 pairs/ day
    and it's running until now (nearly 3 years)
    it's still good condition

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    we do a similar number of jobs per day in our lab, probably a bit more actually and we use a Nidek LE 9000SX with intelligent blocker. Most reliable edger I've used, very easy to maintain (even if something does break the over the phone support is excellent), and its pretty darn fast too. We have had ours for a few years now and its still doing a fine job.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    all i would say is that for quality go for the kappa.
    for speed go for the 9000sx\express

the 9000sx can put out upto 20 jobs per hour whereas the kappa tops out at about 15-16 but on average with a range of mounts and Rx's you looking at 14-15 per hour for the 9000sx and about 12-14 for the kappa so theres not much in it.

Get the kappa, its a much better machine, i used a 9000 for 9 years and the kappa i use now is a godsend. the 9000 cracks minus high index in small frames for fun even on the hpl setting. if you turn the chuck pressure down they slip off axis. whereas the kappa has never (touch wood) cracked anything yet and iv noticed no discernable axis slippage either.

:cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by cully View Post
    the 9000 cracks minus high index in small frames for fun even on the hpl setting. if you turn the chuck pressure down they slip off axis. whereas the kappa has never (touch wood) cracked anything yet and iv noticed no discernable axis slippage either.
    Yeah i discovered that problem too, it did however only happen once, as after the first time of removing peices of a cracked 1.9 lantal i came up with a cunning plan of fixing a 2nd sticky blocking pad to the rear surface of the lens. Given that the machine has quite a high blocking pressure and the pads i use are REALLY sticky it works pretty well, havent had one slip off axis or crack as a result of this yet and i've employed this method for quite some time now.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    yeah 2 blocking pads was something i used to do especially on -ve glass high index.
    to be honest though i dont think there is a bad machine out there these days really, just personal preference.
    one thing i do miss from the nidek is its so easy to flip open and service yourself. everything is easily (in my opinion) replaced or repaired. i havent had the need to go routing in the kapppa just yet but it does look to be a less self-service freindly machine.

in reply to the original question, do you not have distributors that will trial you a machine for a week or so so you can see which suits you best?

Thread Information