Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How was your VEW?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by bwitched24 View Post
    I guess I have a different relationship with my reps than you do. I trust them, consider them friends and have NEVER gotten screwed over by them like some of my other reps. It's funny how I've worked with them both for over 5 years now, and they've never padded orders or given me poor customer service. I can guarantee they're there whenever I need anything and we have a mutual respect for one another. I guess I'm just lucky in that aspect. Hmmm?
    You are right. I have a different realtionship with my reps than you do. I need a rep to carry the frames in from their car, to open the bags, show me the frames, and let me ( and my staff) decide what our patients will want. Reps also act as a liason between the company and myself.After all, most of the reps are from over 50 miles away, and have no idea what sells in our area. Reps do not become a part of the decision making process, nor do we consider each other friends. We are frieindly and very cordial to each other, but not what I'd consider "friends".

I used to be a rep, and I do realize that different offices have different needs, so I can appreciate the relationships you have with your reps. (I'm sure they appreciate it as well.)

I prefer to keep all the emotion out of my dealings with reps, as well as the companies they work for.

Optical Chemical Manufacturer
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Opportunity

We enjoyed participating in the VEW show. It offered us a number of great opportunites to meet some very interesting vendors and customers. A trade-show is like life. It is all up to you to make the best of it. We very much appreciated the opportunites it offered.
    Last edited by LKahn; 10-03-2006 at 07:56 AM. Reason: error

OptiBoard Apprentice Kim Scheidler's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Vew

We've been going to VEW for about the last 7 years with a large group of our customers.

First off, VCA will tell you that anywhere outside of Vegas the show was steadily dwindling in attendance by all of the optical community.

I pretty much start at the galleria and work my way through the whole show in about 2 days. I don't think I had many bad experiences with any vendor I made a point of talking to. Generating interest in their product is why they are there! Sure, there are a lot of booths that have no interest for me, or me to them, but there is an enormous amount of information and new product there if you're willing to mine for it a little.

Several people mentioned some of new major lens company products, but besides them I spent a good time at the Kaenon booth, a truly interesting and different super durable 1.56 polarized lens that's super impact resistant, warranteed against chipping or delamination and found some great new hand tools at several booths.

No show or exhibit hall is perfect, I've found that "What stays in Vegas" is usually CASH! New York costs more and has more vendors that I don't feel the need to see.

Here's a kicker for next year though, in order to avoid some holidays and fit more people in they've moved VEW to the first week in October which will overlap with the OAA national meeting as well as at least half a dozen state optometric meetings. This will be interesting!

Kim
    Last edited by Kim Scheidler; 10-17-2006 at 04:54 PM.

Thread Information