Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How was your VEW?

Bad address email on file Karlen McLean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

How was your VEW?

If you went to Vision Expo West, how was it? What stood out to you? What was the general tone of the show? What products seemed hot? What events were fun?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was there but literally only for a few hours. The classes I took on Progressive Lens designs and how to make sure a lens is as thin as it can be were excellent.

and that new swarf removal tool was probably my highlight. :geek:
    Last edited by Grubendol; 09-18-2006 at 03:57 PM.
    www.opticaljedi.com
    www.facebook.com/opticaljedi
    www.twitter.com/opticaljedi

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Considering the event is held in Las Vegas, NV, it went well (probably one of my least favorite cities to visit).

Unlike the past few Expos, there were plenty of new products for which information could be gathered- Hoyalux iD, Creation, GT2, etc...

Personally, I wish we could cut down to one big show (preferrably in Dallas)- but I understand a lot of people enjoy going to NYC and LasV...

Highlight for me was the opportunity to catch up with a fellow OptiBoarder.
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Really bummed I didn't get to meet any of you.

And I wouldn't ever make it if it was further away than Vegas or maybe EssEff.
    www.opticaljedi.com
    www.facebook.com/opticaljedi
    www.twitter.com/opticaljedi

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My VEW was fabulous! Favorite new thing...VisAbility Redi-Mirror, but then I might be a bit prejudiced. Favorite other thing...the OWA reception on Friday night.

EVERYTHING else stays in Vegas! ;)

CL Fitter/Optician/Mommy SarahMP584's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had a great time, Met a lot of amazing people, saw some GORGEOUS frames up in the suites, and ate a lot of good food!!!

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I enjoyed seeing some old friends (Pete, where were you?) and got to hang out a bit with Keith Benjamin, who is a very nice guy. I liked the Drivewear info and some of the new dispensing aid stuff CZV is coming out with. I could not find the booth Judy, I didn't take the number and couldn't find Polycore on the directory.......
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Some good things/some not so good things

Being my first Vision expo, the minute I stepped in I was surprised at the actual real extent of the convention. It was larger than I thought and I was very excited to walk around and see everything. It made me realize how little of the industry I have actually been exposed to.

As I spent more and more time there, I got to see a lot of the new products and booths, but a lot of the booths looked more like modeling angencies.. I never realized that style and fashion was such an integral part of the convention. I mean they had a model just laying in a display acrylic case wearing a sunglass from the product line.

As I was walking around and introducing myself and asking questions at the various exhibitor booths, I started to get the feeling that the reps would not take me seriously, and frankly didn't even want to talk to me. It probably had to do with the fact that I worked for Costco. On 3 or 4 separate occasions, I would ask questions, and as soon as they found out who I worked for, they would excuse themselves to talk with an associate, or answer the cell phones and walk away, or talk to another attendee.

I did have some good experiences with some of the exhibitors, especially the NAO and CLSA booth. Overall, my VEW was good and I would do it again

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was there all day Thurs. & Friday, and noticed quite a few no-shows (vendors), as well as much smaller booths. Marchon & Luxottica downsized quite a bit, as well as others. There weren't as many direct manufacturers as last year. My Vision Express and Asia Pacific, two vendors I saw in NY & VEW last year were also not there. Over all, I'd grade it a B-.

Did anyone go to Club Vision for lunch ? What a disaster ! They call everyone and tell them to come for free lunch (w/ rsvp) and then they toss out a few pizzas to serve hundreds of people. The servers kept saying " we told them to order more food, but they wouldn't listen..."
    They'd have been better off not offering anything, than hyping a bunch of nothing.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Grade B......................

Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    I'd grade it a B-.
    Johns , Thanks for a very frank report. You have confirmed what I have been saying for the last few years about these monster shows. The dinosaurs are on the way to extinction.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hanlin
    Personally, I wish we could cut down to one big show (preferrably in Dallas)- but I understand a lot of people enjoy going to NYC and LasV...
    And here a confirmation from an exhibitor. I would like to see the real statistics on the visitors.

Again above comment

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Vew

I have been to at least 16 VEW's and I think this one was the largest in attendance. I always think of VEW being laid back, but not this year. I too hate LV and would rather see VEW in LA or San Diego.

We were swamped from the opening bell Thursday. I left Saturday ( I went out Monday for the VCA meetings) morning but heard Saturday was busy too.

I spent a lot of time in the equipment pavillion and their traffic was busy too.
    Jim
    Jim Schafer
    Retired From PPG Industries/
    Transitions Optical, Inc.

When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say even less.
    Paul Brown

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My VEW was one of the best ever! The vendors I spoke with were great and offered a lot of valuable information. Very productive. Can't wait for next year's! :cheers:
    Love Vegas!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My first show after being in this industry for 10 years. I had a blast! I was on my annual vacation for my wedding anniversary, and I decided to tie work into it. I think I'll go every year.

Marchon's booth was very exciting...great music, waitstaff and atmosphere. My reps are amazing and I consider them friends. Yolanda at the Altaire booth was both witty and friendly. The new Transitions technology/Drivewear was neat, but the booth was small, and no one was available to answer my questions.

I missed a couple of people I wanted to connect with, and sorry I didn't post on here before I went so we could've met.

See you next year!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hanlin View Post
    Considering the event is held in Las Vegas, NV, it went well (probably one of my least favorite cities to visit).

Unlike the past few Expos, there were plenty of new products for which information could be gathered- Hoyalux iD, Creation, GT2, etc...

Highlight for me was the opportunity to catch up with a fellow OptiBoarder.
    If there was just one show (anywhere but NY, where I live), I just simply wouldn't go. It's the convenience of VEE that allows me to attend. I usually schedule the seminars I'm interested in first, and then work any exhibit hall time around that.

Personally, I think that the *technology* behind all the new progressive offerings is overkill, or at least misplaced. I'd luv to see real Free-form manufacturing combined with a new refractive paradigm to allow wrap SV lenses to become more manistream.

But we'd have to abandon our dependence on the phoropter first...and I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Barry Santini, ABOM

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by bwitched24 View Post
    Marchon's booth was very exciting...great music, waitstaff and atmosphere. !

Thats all well and good, but, what about the frames!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I gave up on VEE because I got tired of having to wade thru the ballons, streamers, waiters and waitresess, M&M dishes, scantily clad models(and Reps!), bottled water, soda, thumping bass boom music, just to try to get to the job at hand. The job at hand was/is to check out PRODUCT!! I passed on a lot of purchasing at the Theme Park booths and really made on of the most profitable and sound business decisions of my career. That decision was to purchase product from the smaller vendors who were more in tune to showing and delivering great product than providing an exciting atmosphere, with great music and fine waitstaff.

The last VEE that I went to also turned me off of the education offerings. I must have struck out and picked the two worst courses with the most talkitive attendees. UGH!

Fezz
    :cheers:

Occupation

Redhot Jumper purchase product from the smaller vendors............

Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    .........................and really made on of the most profitable and sound business decisions of my career. That decision was to purchase product from the smaller vendors who were more in tune to showing and delivering great product than providing an exciting atmosphere, with great music and fine waitstaff.
    Thank you Fezz..................................good post and good sense.

Visitors to VE ususally steer directly under full steam to the booth of the companies they do business with to get a fine reception and somme goodies and from there to the next one.......walking through isles with smaller booth's not looking to the right nor the left.

It is the vendor in the smaller booth that many times offer items you have never seen and might be of great interest and or importance.

If the small vendor wants to be seen he has to spend another few thousand dollar with VE to get some promotional advertising with directions to his booth.

If visitors would show more interest in the show itself, maybe they would make a tour around the back isles more often......looking what's up with the smaller or startup companies.

As an exhibitor gor 16 years I gave up on VE becasue both, visitors as well as show management favour the large exhibits, one for the money and the other for the circus atmosphere.

:hammer:

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Johns , Thanks for a very frank report. You have confirmed what I have been saying for the last few years about these monster shows. The dinosaurs are on the way to extinction.

And here a confirmation from an exhibitor. I would like to see the real statistics on the visitors.

Again above comment
    Chris,

You may say the dinosaurs are on the way to extinction but I have been to 17 VEW and about 10 in NYC and this was by far the best and busiest show that I have seen. Thursday, usually the slow day, was swamped from about 11am until 5pm. Friday closed at 6pm and I didn't leave the booth until 7pm, still with customers. Sat. I did not leave the booth at all from the time it opened until the time it closed.

Karen you didn't come to visit me. What happened?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    This was the first Vision Expo I've attended. I went for meetings with a customer and to walk the show for competitive intelligence. Meeting the customer was great walking the show was ok. My interests are coatings for lenses and there wasn't alot there in that respect.

mike

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I was there for the first time, mainly because my wife and I wanted a vacation. The continuing education was hit-and-miss as it typically is but a few lectures were superb.

The exhibit hall was impressive, larger than any shows I've been to before. I was rather disappointed in many of the exhibitors though. I'm 28 and probably look about 23 or 24. I was completely ignored by many people, even when they were not busy. The two that stick out in my mind are Gerber-Coburn and Plastics Plus.

On the other hand, I was chased across an aisle by a woman looking to recruit ODs for costco in California.

I had a great time in Vegas, but I doubt I'd go to VEW again. I haven't been to New York before though.....:D

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    I gave up on VEE because I got tired of having to wade thru the ballons, streamers, waiters and waitresess, M&M dishes, scantily clad models(and Reps!), bottled water, soda, thumping bass boom music, just to try to get to the job at hand. The job at hand was/is to check out PRODUCT!!
    Fezz
    :cheers:

That's because the large companies like to dazzle you with everything BUT product. Take away the frills from these booths, and you have the same (and often less) than the other have to offer.

I spend the majority of my time at the shows on the perimeter. The perimeter of these venues are the lower priced and smaller exhibitor spots. These companies are usually bare bones and often the manufacturers. You know that when you place and order, you're not paying for the M&Ms, the models, the drinks, the parties, and all the other excesses that so many of the buyers get sucked in with.

"Excitement, music, friends..." Give me a break! This is business!

Bullseye Fezz!!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That's because the large companies like to dazzle you with everything BUT product. Take away the frills from these booths, and you have the same (and often less) than the other have to offer.

I spend the majority of my time at the shows on the perimeter. The perimeter of these venues are the lower priced and smaller exhibitor spots. These companies are usually bare bones and often the manufacturers. You know that when you place and order, you're not paying for the M&Ms, the models, the drinks, the parties, and all the other excesses that so many of the buyers get sucked in with.

"Excitement, music, friends..." Give me a break! This is business!

Bullseye Fezz!!

You guys are obviously on a different page than me. I not only signed on with Altair, I found safety goggles for our new IPL AND signed on with the Michael Kors line ( I am one of 2 practices in the state to carry it AND I sold my first one in 3 days!) It wasn't about the M&M's or water that Marchon offered. I saw my CK and Flexon reps immediately and we instantly decided what was best for my practice. Most "small vendors" didn't give me the time of day, so I went with what I knew and what I knew would sell. I think it's safe to say that if the "big" vendor's lines sell, then hit them up for new product. I sold a new CK the very day I got it. I guess we all have different viewpoints.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I saw my CK and Flexon reps immediately and we instantly decided what was best for my practice.
    The key word in this statement is "WE"

Isin't it amazing how reps "instantly" know what is best for "your" practice?

Hmm

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I am planning on going to this coming years VEE and I will be there looking for new and unique products that could fit our business. I went to a bunch o genetics expos with my wife in DC since it is so close and it is absolutely amazing the interesting things you see in the bowels of the expos. If you want free stuff and key chains all you have to do is walk in the doors and go straight ahead where all the big boys are. We automatically went off to the sides and saw the most new and exciting stuff. (to be honest with you my wie ssaw new and exciting stuff, I saw stuff :bbg: )
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The key word in this statement is "WE"

Isin't it amazing how reps "instantly" know what is best for "your" practice?

Hmm

I guess I have a different relationship with my reps than you do. I trust them, consider them friends and have NEVER gotten screwed over by them like some of my other reps. It's funny how I've worked with them both for over 5 years now, and they've never padded orders or given me poor customer service. I can guarantee they're there whenever I need anything and we have a mutual respect for one another. I guess I'm just lucky in that aspect. Hmmm?

Occupation

Blue Jumper I trust them, consider them friends ..........................

I trust them, consider them friends and have NEVER gotten screwed over by them like some of my other reps. Hmmm?
    You did not tel us the ratio between the two types of yourreps....................how many are your friends and how many screw you over. :hammer:

Thread Information