Thread: Patient claiming we scratched his lens...seven months ago!

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Patient claiming we scratched his lens...seven months ago!

I couldn't believe it. A man came in today and says when we replaced his frame under warranty in February that we scratched his lens and now he wants us to replace it for no charge.

I asked him why he didn't call or come right back and he says he just never got around to it.

Do you have patients as nervy as this?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Tell him what Bing Crosby told Bob Holt after he got in a deep sea diving suit: "You should have thought of that before."

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Just a suggestion,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    I couldn't believe it. A man came in today and says when we replaced his frame under warranty in February that we scratched his lens and now he wants us to replace it for no charge.

I asked him why he didn't call or come right back and he says he just never got around to it.

Do you have patients as nervy as this?
    If the lens has an A/R coating look for pealing and a deffective coating. This may have happened over time and he thinks it happened in your office. If you think he is reasonable you might file for a replacement if the lens is under warranty.

I am seeing a lot more bad coatings in the field and the consumers are clueless as to what it is and how to rectify the situation.

Rep

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Final inspection....................

Wgen delivering new glasses ....................as the last word should be
    " and lets make a visual inspection of the lenses...........and there are No scratches"

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rep View Post
    If the lens has an A/R coating look for pealing and a deffective coating. This may have happened over time and he thinks it happened in your office. If you think he is reasonable you might file for a replacement if the lens is under warranty.

I am seeing a lot more bad coatings in the field and the consumers are clueless as to what it is and how to rectify the situation.

Rep
    No, it wasn't the AR coat. The one lens had a small gouge on it near the outside bottom corner. The lenses are more then 2 1/2 years old and out of warranty. I did double check on the warranty.

I do see a bad AR now and then, but much less now that we almost always use premuim coatings.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would tell this a**h*l* to hit the bricks. Seven months later....what a joker! I would tell him as sarcastically as I could :

"Oh, I am sooooooooooooo sorry. If only you had brought them back what, 4 or 5 months ago I would have made a complete new pair for you and everyone in your family, all of your neighbors, and your co-workers to try and make this up to you. What a shame that you could never get around to it. Here is what i can do today, 7 months after the fact. I will make YOU up a complete new pair providing you get a new exam(hopefully at your practice), and pay our new service charge on free replacement eyewear of $429, from our great selection of free replacement frames(over runs, discontinued, hidden in drawers, old dusty boxes, etc. you know which frames to offer!) It's the least that I can do!!!! How about that..is that good enough to satisfy you?"

Seriously, this guy is a ____________(fill in the blank) and he knows he is trying to scam you. Get rid of him. Darn schisteres(sp?)!

Fezz
    :cheers:
    Last edited by Fezz; 09-15-2006 at 08:13 AM. Reason: addition

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I once had a guy come in who we had made a new pair for after breaking his own frames. He was ready to pick them up... 11 months later! Now, I'm surprised that we even kept them that long (this was shortly after I started). Well, wouldn't you know the poor fella couldn't see as good out of 'em as he used to! Of course, Mr. Time Management wants a free exam now. Didn't happen. Well, we lost a customer for life that day!
    Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear brighter before you hear them speak.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    We had a patient come in a couple of months ago...she bought a very nice, fairly expensive pair of glasses from us more than a year prior. But she says she never really liked them, so they just sat in her drawer and can she get a refund for them?? :hammer:

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I especially like the gentleman that sat on his glasses and broke them after 5 1/2 years (no exams or eyeglasses in those 5 1/2 years), and then stormed out because we wouldn't replace them for free and hollered, " YOU JUST LOST A CUSTOMER, CUZ I'M NEVER COMING BACK!!". At the rate he was going, he was never coming back anyway.

AA

Occupation
    Optometrist
    An alternative would be to remake it at your cost, and pass the cost along to him.

I'd say "Well, at this point, they're out of warranty, so I cannot remake them for you at no charge. If you'll pay 50%, I'll pay 50% and we'll get this lens fixed for you. If you prefer, I'll give you a $XX credit on the next pair you purchase from us. Meanwhile, take a bottle of cleaner and a cleaning cloth as a courtesy."

Maybe the guy's a joker, maybe he's a big spender. If he's money waiting to happen, then kiss it! If he's a loser, use this opportunity to send him packing.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

*ALWAYS* sell them ALIZE CLEAR GARD...

Quote Originally Posted by Aarlan View Post
    I especially like the gentleman that sat on his glasses and broke them after 5 1/2 years (no exams or eyeglasses in those 5 1/2 years), and then stormed out because we wouldn't replace them for free and hollered, " YOU JUST LOST A CUSTOMER, CUZ I'M NEVER COMING BACK!!". At the rate he was going, he was never coming back anyway.

AA
    That's what we do, and then there are NO EXCUSES for 2 years from orig dispensing date... Makes us look like a hero!

Barry

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Maybe the guy's a joker, maybe he's a big spender.
    Good point. Someone said- "The poor need a bargain, the rich love a bargain."
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I never heard that one, but that's deep!

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We also lost a customer recently:hammer: because we wouldn't warranty a pair of glasses she lost!

Thread Information