Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally Ordered My Glasses

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Finally Ordered My Glasses

After much time I have finally gotten my new glasses ordered. The advice that was dispensed to me some time ago was invaluable. My thanks again.

My main choice was what kind of coating(s) to get. I opted for the Crizal Alize. At least, I think I did. I asked the optician for the Crizal Alize (their default AR coating is, apparently, some kind of Teflon). She flipped through a book and found a listing for "Alize" and "Crizal." I asked for the Alize, since that was reccomended to me here. I hope it works out well. I wonder if the plain "Crizal" was the old Crizal coating. I'm surprised they still make it, if the Alize is superior.

Oddly, I can't find a website about "Alize." Just a Crizal website (put up by Essilor). But the word Alize isn't mentioned in at all.

So my question now is.... how can I be sure I got the "Alize" coating? I *think* some kind of certificate is supposed to come with the glasses. But if it just says "Crizal" and not "Alize" should I be worried?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Alize........................

Quote Originally Posted by Boowank View Post
    So my question now is.... how can I be sure I got the "Alize" coating? I *think* some kind of certificate is supposed to come with the glasses. But if it just says "Crizal" and not "Alize" should I be worried?
    Alize is nothing else than a trademark owned by Essilor for a slick coat that sits on top of the AR coating of which the trademark is Crizal.

The same type slick coat is made by just about all other AR coating labs. Its all a big advertising hype by the large corporations in the optical trade.

If the surface feels slick to your fingertip you got it.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Over here you would get a card with every pair of Essilor lenses (and most of the other big companies), identifying lens type, RX and coating. Smaller RX houses do not bother. What percentage of these cards get passed onto the patient, and what percentage end up in the bin, it would be hard to say.
    Optical technicians in Britain.

http://www.optiglaze.co.uk/forum/

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Over here you get a certifying card for the Crizal, as well as a small microfibre cloth.
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Bad address email on file OptiChick21's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you really dont think it's Alize, ask to see the lab invoice for proof! LoL. Crizal is still made, as it was a decent product and is a more inexpensive option for some patients. But Alize has been much improved, especially now with it's anti-static properties. It's the only AR we recommend currently.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Over here....................

Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson View Post
    Over here you get a certifying card for the Crizal, as well as a small microfibre cloth.
    Over here you do not need a small microfibre cloth......................because the lenses have been treated with a slick coat and you can wipe them with anything.............even your T-shirt.
    :hammer:

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    I got a call that said my glasses are ready today. I'll go pick them up shortly. Incidentally, I did as suggested and went with a local shop, not Lenscrafters or (thank God) the Internet.

About cleaning them..... my current way of cleaning glasses is as follows:

I rinse them under water first, thoroughly. Then I use a cotton (always a brand new, clean one) with 70% isopropyl rubbing alcohol on it. I swab both sides of the lenses with the cotton ball. Then I rinse the glasses under water again. Then I dry them with a clean cotton towel.

Is that a good way to do it? I'm not keen on constantly buying lens cleaning solutions. Especially since I think they are often nothing more than watered down alcohol with some tint and maybe fragrance added. Also, not all solutions are created equal, I imagine.

I was told it will take me several days to get adjusted to my new glasses. So.... if I have a problem with them, how long should I wait before I take them back to the optical shop?

Once again, a big thank you to all of the folks here. I got a certificate and cloth with my last pair of "Crizal" (plain old Crizal) lenses so I'd better get one from Essilor with the "Alize" name on it or I'm going to be ******.
    "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
    -Isaac Asimov

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    I just got my glasses. They DID NOT come with either a certificate or a cleaning cloth with "Crizal" on it. I asked the person who gave them to me about the certificate and she said there was no such thing. I asked her how I could be sure that they had the Alize coating (they offer several AR coatings) on them. She said "Just look at them" or something to that effect. I figured it wasn't worth arguing with her about it right then as I was unsure how solid my ground was.

I tried calling Essilor but their offices were closed. I tried leaving a message and got disconnected.

I'm pretty nervous about this. I specifically asked for the Alize coating. And the word "Alize" is written on my receipt in the "AR coating" field. The charge for it was $86. The woman who gave me the glasses said they had a one year, one time scratch replacement warranty.

Is something wrong here? Are the certificates not issued? The last time I bought glasses they came with a "Crizal" certificate and cloth, but that was several years ago.

Where do I go from here?
    -Isaac Asimov

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Smell the coffee Chris.....

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Over here you do not need a small microfibre cloth......................because the lenses have been treated with a slick coat and you can wipe them with anything.............even your T-shirt.
    :hammer:
    You continue to clean your lenses with a t-shirt......I'm going to use my Luminex! We'll see whose lenses scratch first.....Maybe you are not familiar with Luminex up there, but down here they keep lenses clean and scratch free.

best from an amazed harry j
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Boowank View Post
    I just got my glasses. They DID NOT come with either a certificate or a cleaning cloth with "Crizal" on it. I asked the person who gave them to me about the certificate and she said there was no such thing. I asked her how I could be sure that they had the Alize coating (they offer several AR coatings) on them. She said "Just look at them" or something to that effect. I figured it wasn't worth arguing with her about it right then as I was unsure how solid my ground was.

I tried calling Essilor but their offices were closed. I tried leaving a message and got disconnected.

I'm pretty nervous about this. I specifically asked for the Alize coating. And the word "Alize" is written on my receipt in the "AR coating" field. The charge for it was $86. The woman who gave me the glasses said they had a one year, one time scratch replacement warranty.

Is something wrong here? Are the certificates not issued? The last time I bought glasses they came with a "Crizal" certificate and cloth, but that was several years ago.

Where do I go from here?
    Every job we recieve from Essilor comes with that certificate, credit card looking thing and a cleaning clothes. Also the Crizal family of coating have a two-year warranty. I would push a little further, maybe even ask for a copy of the lens invoice (with the wholesale price removed) to ensure you recieved what you paid for. I've done it for clients in the past with no hesistation.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    I called two other optical shops to ask about the Alize coating. They both told me exactly the same thing: That the Alize lenses always come with the certificate and the cloth. And they both told me it comes with a 2 year warranty which, apparently, covers everything except loss. They also told me they charge more for Alize than the optical shop I went to did.

I then called the place I got the glasses (I don't know if I'm supposed to mention places by name, so I'll hold off until I know it's acceptable). The person who answered the phone said she was the "optical head." I told her about my concerns. She claimed that they had just started using Alize and that they hadn't got their procedures down yet. When I asked her about the price she told me because the Alize was new to them, they hadn't figured out their pricing structure yet. She also told me that the woman who gave me my glasses (and spent about 30 seconds doing it) was new and didn't know the products that well yet. She told me she'd call me the next morning after doing some checking.

I don't know whether to believe her or not. It was my impression that Alize has been out for some time. And when I went to the Crizal website and punched in my zipcode, it spat out 20 names of optical shops in my area that sold Crizal. The place I got them at wasn't listed.

It's certainly possible she's telling the truth and Alize is just new to them and so all the gears aren't meshing yet.

On the other hand, what prevents her from just scrounging up an Alize certificate and cloth? If I get to look at the lab invoice I won't really know how to read it.

I'd like to give her the benefit of the doubt but I may have no choice but to ask for a refund.....
    -Isaac Asimov

Bad address email on file OptiChick21's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

dont be so rash...

Wow, i think asking for a refund is a bit much under such timid circumstances. You're really not sure yet they are "lying" so to say, about whether or not it's truly Alize. I mean you could go anywhere and order Alize, and even if you get some dumb cloth/certificate at the time of dispensing, it doesn't mean they didnt just grap an extra one and throw it in your job tray even though they only slapped on some lesser lab coating!
    Also, the lab invoices are usually easy to read/understand. It should definitively say "Crizal Alize AR coat" on it. Just ask.
    Lastly, as an eyecare proffesional, I will not say the real Alize warranty, but be it one or two years that is offered to you, that is completely up to the office to decide how long they want to warrant remakes. We can make it how ever long we want, up to the real warranty time length. So if they say 1 year and you dont like, next time go somewhere that says 2.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ah yes....another consumer post! Have we helped this consumer, or have we just confused them? We have mentioned various cleaning methods and opposing warranty statements. With this new found knowledge, this consumer is only going to get more irritated and sceptical. Just think for a minute if this consumer came into your shop with this info. What a scenario!!!!!!

?????????

Fezz
    :cheers:

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Ah yes....another consumer post! Have we helped this consumer, or have we just confused them? We have mentioned various cleaning methods and opposing warranty statements. With this new found knowledge, this consumer is only going to get more irritated and sceptical. Just think for a minute if this consumer came into your shop with this info. What a scenario!!!!!!

?????????

Fezz
    Fezz, I've had clients request proof of what coatings/lenses they recieved, this person just wants to make sure they recieved what the paid for. Let's not be naive, there are places out there that will try to mislead consumers.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jedi,

I agree with you. My point is..The consumer posts on Optiboard are a problem with me. My view of this poster is that we created a monster. That is not an personal atttack. A little knowledge is dangerous. If you re-read the posts, you will see how we as a group may do more to confuse and irritate a situation than help. Think about the warranty statements.
    Just my view...I know others will disagree.

Fezz

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson View Post
    You continue to clean your lenses with a t-shirt......I'm going to use my Luminex! We'll see whose lenses scratch first.....Maybe you are not familiar with Luminex up there, but down here they keep lenses clean and scratch free.
    Ditto. I give my clients the 7.5" square Luminex cloth. I throw the "free" cloth that comes from the AR coating company in the trash. Sure, they cost four times as much, but they don't trap particulate matter, are thin enough to get into the tight spaces, and are more effective in removing streaks and smears, slick coat or not.

Regards,
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Jedi,

I agree with you. My point is..The consumer posts on Optiboard are a problem with me. My view of this poster is that we created a monster. That is not an personal atttack. A little knowledge is dangerous. If you re-read the posts, you will see how we as a group may do more to confuse and irritate a situation than help. Think about the warranty statements.
    Just my view...I know others will disagree.

Fezz
    I agree, I groaned when I read someone telling him Alize has a two year warranty. Now he is conviced that he didn't get what he paid for and is talking about getting his money back!

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    No offense taken at all. I am also getting fed up with many of the consumer posts. But I think this is a different type of consumer post. Essilor/Nikon/Zeiss etc. goes out of their way to ensure authenticity of their lenses and coatings by the use of certificates/ lens summaries. This goes to protect the consumer against bait and switch tactics as well as to proctect to individual lens account from unfair competition (If another account was to price an Alize len $50-$60 dollars less (retail) I would be very skeptical about it's origin, but I would also be put on the defensive by a consumer who thought I might be gouging them). BTW, whenever possible we use the MSRP for lens, it's less suspect when the consumer sees a price list from Nikon. As far as warranties go, the manufacturer (or lab) set those and they should be followed as such, I imagine part of the reason the coatings are priced higher is they factor in scratch/crazing warranties. For as often as it happens I don't understand why anyone wouldn't offer the 2 year warranty if it was available.

Boowank, I stand by my intial advice. Do I think they are trying to screw you, no. Do I think they are a little disorganized, yeah probably. I've use to throw all that stuff out too, until I got called on it. I would give them the benefit of the doubt and still request to see some proof of purchase.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    This is a c&p from the Crizal site in reference to identifying Crizal

Crizal lenses should be dispensed with a Crizal Certificate of Authenticity and a Crizal cleaning cloth to ensure receipt of genuine Crizal lenses. If you did not receive both of these items, you should discuss this with your eye care professional. In addition to these items, all anti-reflective lenses possess slight reflectant color qualities which assist in identifying the brand. The reflective hue color for Crizal is a green-yellowish hue. To see this reflective color, take the eyeglasses off and hold them at an angle under a light such that a reflection will appear on the lenses. The reflection should be of a green yellowish hue if the lenses are indeed Crizal.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    I agree, I groaned when I read someone telling him Alize has a two year warranty.
    Why? Do a search on the board and you will find multple instances of coating warranty discussions including duration. I really don't understand why an office would not honour the same warranty they recieve from the vendor, care to elighten us?

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    It is interesting that we keep saying that every Alize job comes with a certificate of authenticity. What we are forgetting that if they are single vision stock lenses, they do not.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    It is interesting that we keep saying that every Alize job comes with a certificate of authenticity. What we are forgetting that if they are single vision stock lenses, they do not.
    Never knew that, but I also never sell Essilor SV stock, almost all Nikon and they alway come with a cert. Good point, that might explain this persons situation.

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation

Why would someone not offer the full warranty?!?

My wife works for a Dr whos policy is 1 time within 1 year and he signs her checks. The Dr doesn't want his patients thinking they can skip a year. He also charges over power on anything above +/-4.00 and a 2.00 cyl.

I'd say if you are working for somebody rather than setting your own policy you should follow it. After all, whoever signs the check has the tie breaking vote!
    Days where my gratitude exceed my expectations are very good days!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    I just got off the phone with Essilor (in Texas). They said that Alize coated lenses are absoloutely supposed to come with the certificate. He did also say that the warranty terms were up to whoever sold me the glasses. He did imply (in my opinion) that Essilor prefers shops to honor the full warranty.

The shop hasn't called me back as they said they were, but the day is still fairly young.

I urge the fine folks here to consider that I did precisely what they told me to do. I avoided Lenscrafters AND the Internet. I bought my frames and lenses both from a local shop. I asked for the Alize coating by name.

The other optical shops I called both said immediately that they honor the 2 year warranty against scratches, etc. on Alize lenses.

At this point, unless the shop can provide me with a lab invoice that specifically states Crizal Alize on there (the Essilor guy told me that would be on there, not just "AR coating") I'm probably going to have to ask for a refund. If they can provide that and if they will honor the warranty terms that the manufacturer offers (and that their competitors honor) then I'll keep the glasses and they can keep their money. And if it was just a simple mistake and they work with me on this then I'll probably go back there again.
    -Isaac Asimov

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation

I was right

When I got home there was a message on the answering machine from the optical shop. They said that they indeed screw up the lenses and that they would have to have new ones made for me. So, hopefully, all's well that ends well. We shall see.
    -Isaac Asimov

Thread Information