Thread: scratches help

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

scratches help

Hello,
    I brand new here, but there seems to be some knowledgeable folks around, so I was wondering if I could get some help.
    I was reading the older threads about AR coatings, and was wondering how they apply to scratch-resistance coatings.

My problem is this: I’ve redeemed my scratch “warranty” ($25 per lens) twice now over about 18 months. I’m fixing have to do it again, too, but before I do and get upset with my Drs office, I think I should be a little better informed.
    I know nothing is scratch “proof”, but I don’t know what I’m doing to scratch them up so badly. I’ve got dozens of light scratches in all different directions on both lenses. When I need to, I use the cleaning cloth they provided most of the time, but sometimes I will use my cotton t-shirt if I’ve got a smudge I have to deal with in the meantime. For instance, this morning I noticed a small speck on one of the lenses and used my finger to lightly brush it off, and it left a long scratch in the exact line my finger traveled. They’ve never been dropped, sat on, etc. I wear them all day, and they sit on the night stand while I sleep.
    So…
    1) I guess I need to know if I’m being naïve, but I would think a scratch resistance lens should offer a little more protection than I’m getting. Thoughts?
    2) Could it be possible that the scratches are coming from the AR coating, instead? When I replace these lenses, if I asked them to leave off the AR coating, would that help? I have no idea who or what the AR is made/applied by.

If this was just a couple a scratches over a year, I wouldn’t worry, but my last pair of glasses had at least 4 scratches in them within a week. I’m up to more than I can count now (since April), I can see them when I wear them, and it’s starting to get distracting. I’m beginning to wonder if my provider is shady, or if I’m just doing something insanely wrong. Let me say I’ve just started wearing glasses, and have nothing to compare to. (The only reason I mention the reputability of my provider is because my very first pair of glasses I only replaced one of the lenses. The replacement lens was re-scratched with hundreds of small scratches over about 10 months, but the original lens was still almost perfect. Something had to be different, but I don’t know what – I asked and all I got was “hmmm”)

If I can be even just a little more informed when I revisit my Dr, I’m sure it would help.

Thanks,
    Jason

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Always moisten the lens before cleaning (even when you use your T-Shirt) wipe gently until dry then stop.
    Get glass lenses and it won't be a problem, or at least it will be many, many times less likely.

Chip

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Arch enemy.........................

Quote Originally Posted by jwowen77 View Post
    My problem is this: I’ve redeemed my scratch “warranty” ($25 per lens) twice now over about 18 months. I’m fixing have to do it again, too, but before I do and get upset with my Drs office, I think I should be a little better informed.
    You must be one of those cases that are habitual arch enemies of plastic lenses.

I would not even bet, that you would not mistreat glass lenses.........because even those can get scratched.

What would you do if you would be living in a normal country (as most of them) where there is no such thing as scratch warranties?

Bite into the bitter fruit and get some new lenses and learn that optical lenses should be treated like a newly born baby that never grows bigger, which means they got to be treated carfully as long as you have them.

Like Chip says.............get glass lenses or at least some CR39 if it has to be plastic. If you work in a chemical plant you might be exposed to fumes that destroy your hard coat....check it out.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    You can ask five opticians about how to care for your lenses and will be likely to get five differing opinions.

Personally, I am not a big fan of using the mocrofiber cloths (provided with most AR Processes) on a routine basis because the crud that you wipe off your lenses eventually becomes absorbed into the cloth which also causes you to work harder the next time you attempt to clean your lenses. Therefore greater potential for scratching exists.

Second, there is a big difference between first generation AR processes which may look good the day you pick up your eyewear but do not hold up to the reality of every day life.......and the modern premium AR processes that have made a concious effort to eliminate what folks didn't like about most first generation AR processes such as scratching, keeping clean, and attracting dust. These premium processes include but are not limited to Crizal Alize, Teflon, and Carat Advantage to name a few.

You will pay more for the premium process out of the gate but it sure beats having lenses with the same RX and substandard AR process replaced on multiple occasions.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Here’s what you do. Wash hands using mild hand soap and water and then gently rub lenses between fingers, rinse under faucet and pat dry with fresh poop tickets or tissue. Let this be the only method that you use and you will not scratch whatever type of spectacle lens you are wearing.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes, it is probably your AR coating that is scratching. With your next pair of glasses be sure to get a premium AR like Teflon, Crizal Alizee, Carat Advantage, or Super High Vision. There is a lot of difference between standard and premium ARs.

In the meantime you need to rinse your lenses with water before you wipe them and use an AR cleaner or mild soapy water. An AR cleaning cloth is okay but it needs to be clean, wash it with mild dishsoap every week.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Had a builder that kept scratching his lenses but swore he didnt wear them for work, however he would put them on straight after work before washing!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    POOP TICKETS???
    :bbg: :D :bbg: :D :bbg: :D :bbg:

Thread Information