Thread: Kodak Unique and Clarity

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Kodak Unique and Clarity

Is anyone using the Kodak coatings lab?
    Clarity is the product. I have been using now for 3 months and I am having scratching issues before they get to me.

Also, just dispensed my first pair of UNIQUES to a patient, and she can't tell any difference. We have successfully fit 100 patients into PHYSIO's with not problem number one. We switched because of the price.

From the best I can tell, it's just a KODAK Concise that was digitally surfaced. So it is a little clearer, but no larger than the concise.

Any thoughts?

BIGKEV76:drop:

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Freeform

I can not comment on the specific design from Signet Armolite. Your conclusion is exactly what one can experience with freeform if the designs are not advanced to the point to give wider more accurate vision. Just digitally surfaced is not the solution. It is a method used to provide a good vision solution.

We are working with the originator of backside individualized lenses and I can tell you from personal experience I now understand the differences in a great individualized design that controls power error across the lens surface.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've only ordered 1 Kodak Unique so far - I ordered 2 weeks ago and have not received it yet.

I've used the Kodak CleAr a few times and have had no problem with that so far.

So far I'm happy with the Kodak Instashades...I don't think they really turn 3 times faster than Transitions...the rep. tried to show me that and I could not tell a difference at all...marketing marketing marketing.
    ABOC, NCLC, CPO, FNAO

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Kodak Clear and clamp shadows

Our office has dispensed nearly 20 Uniques over the last few weeks and have had little in the way of negative response - seems a good lens.

What I DO have problems with is likely due more to our lab and their choices of coating procedures - if I order Kodak Clear coated lenses edged to a pattern, the lab coats the lens AFTER edging and, of course, I'm getting some massive clamp shadowing. I've spoken with varying levels of authority there on numerous occasions but have yet to see a consistent policy change. The replies I've gotten vary from "it's impossible to edge" to "we can fit more lenses in the (curing) chamber that way" to "they aren't supposed to do that [for your account]". I only see this on Kodak Clear. This lab happens to have Teflon, Zeiss and Rodenstock capabilties in house as well and I don't see any issues with other coatings.

Additionally, I've had ZERO slippage while edging on ANY of the new generations of coatings and I'm using the same leap pads I've always used. I believe slippage is mostly a product of blocking error.

Any thoughts?

kk

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Smilie The OD's Kodak Unique lenses...

He has a very small Rx. He was previously in the Shamir Creation and really liked that lens. The Kodak Unique lens he did not notice too much of a difference initially...the next day he noticed while he was sitting at his computer that the keyboard seemd to slope down in one spot - and rise up in a hill on another spot. He said he was adjusting to the new distortions but...that was his initial response.

Rx. +0.50 OU Sph. +2.50 ADD 21 seg.

I dispensed another pair of Kodak Unique lenses to a patient a couple weeks ago - he was in a V-Comfort previously. He said that he didn't notice too much of a change. He was expecting to notice more of a difference...what he really liked is that he was now in a much thinner lens and had AR on his lenses.

Rx. -4.25 -1.00 090 / -5.25 -1.00 090 +2.25 ADD 18 seg.

I have another pair on order right now...should be getting in a week.

Overall I have not had negative responses...but nothing extraordinary either. The people that have tried them so far have been just as happy with their old progressive designs.
    We'll see what happens as I try it out on more patients...
    ABOC, NCLC, CPO, FNAO

Thread Information