Thread: My homework ate my dog - and everything else!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

My homework ate my dog - and everything else!

Physics homework, that is ...

Equipment at the Large Hadron Collider, a particle accelerator under construction on the Franco-Swiss border, dwarfs a worker in a hardhat.

Updated: 12:29 a.m. PT Sept 7, 2006
    NORWICH, England - Deep underground, along the border between Switzerland and France, someone will throw a switch next year to start one of the most ambitious scientific experiments in history, probing the deepest secrets of the universe, and possibly finding new dimensions of existence that are beyond our ordinary experience.

Or possibly ... destroying the entire earth and everyone on it.

At least, so say some - although the scientist who was interviewed by MSNBC put the odds of such a terminal catastrophe at less than one chance in ten followed by 39 zeros - pretty slim - and there are carefully documented calculations, grounded in what is already known about high energy physics, that reduce the "odds" to zero.

The LHC (Large Hadron Collider), nearing completion, is contained in a circular tunnel, 27 kilometers long and buried deep below the countryside on the outskirts of Geneva, Switzerland. When scientific experiments are inaugurated in 2007, the LHC will be the world’s most powerful particle accelerator. High-energy protons in two counter-rotating beams will be smashed together at previously unobtainable speeds in a search for the hidden signatures of supersymmetry, dark energy and dark matter, and the still mysterious origins of mass.

Billions of protons traveling at just a whisker below the speed of light will be injected, accelerated, and kept circulating for hours, guided by thousands of powerful superconducting magnets.

For most of their circulation, the counter-rotating beams will travel in two separate vacuum pipes, but at four separate stations they will collide in the hearts of the major physics experiments, known by the acronyms ALICE, ATLAS, CMS, and LHCb, where sensitive detection equipment will capture the results as collisions between protons produce a shower of exotic, short-lived subatomic particles.

The detection equipment will be tasked with monitoring up to 600 million collision events per second, relying on the world's largest scientific computing network to analyze "petabytes" of data for signs of extremely rare subatomic events, such as the isolation of the elusive Higgs boson - theoretically, the carrier of all mass in the universe.

Scientists will be trying to recreate some of the critical parameters of the Big Bang: The mysterious explosion at the beginning of measurable time that is widely believed to have produced the observable universe. In the process, it is expected that "micro" black holes will be generated at a rate of about one per second: Black holes like the fictional one that was celebrated in 1997's Event Horizon, and the more probably real and massive star and galaxy-sized black holes that astronomers are always talking about of late - but on a subatomic scale. And it's that well known term "black holes" - along with "strange matter", "magnetic monopoles" and "false vacuums" - that has some Internet posters speculating about the possibility that an out-of-control experiment at LHC could trigger doomsday for the entire world.

If subatomic black holes are actually generated, scientists calculate that they will all evaporate to nothing, almost instantaneously, by a process called Hawking radiation - but what if ... ?

One doomsday scenario goes like this: Subatomic black holes, having a greater density than any ordinary matter, will sink by gravity to the center of the earth, enlarging themselves by absorbing ordinary matter along the way. At the center of the earth, all of LHC's escaping black holes will merge into one sizeable black hole - and start to absorb the entire planet, from the inside out ...

It's not stopping the scientists at LHC.

Credits: http://lhc.web.cern.ch/lhc/ http://www.physics.uci.edu/ http://www.rcuk.ac.uk/ http://www.analogsf.com/0305/altview.shtml http://www.particlephysics.ac.uk/ http://aboutfacts.net/AirSpaceCraft22.htm http://symmetrymagazine.org/cms/?pid=1000095 http://www.exitmundi.nl/blackholes_lab.htm http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14717643/

Image hosting: http://imageshack.us/

Crime Scene Earth: Every clock tick, the earth is traversed by an unimaginable number of neutrinos, ghostly subatomic particles that are emitted by the sun. They're almost undetectable. In 1993, however, the earth may have been hit by a real cosmic "bullet" - an exotically dense form of matter - too small to have been visible to the naked eye, yet massive enough to have registered on earthquake detectors at seismic stations around the world. The "bullet" (if there really was one) bored through the earth in less than sixty seconds with the energy of a fifty kiloton atomic bomb, exiting a half-world away from where it entered, and at almost the same fantastic speed ...

For more, see Gone In Sixty Seconds.
    Last edited by rinselberg; 09-12-2006 at 10:47 PM.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Oofdah

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Given my luck I'm not sure which is worse the end of the world or the continuation of it.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Try reading "Earth" by David Brin. Very reminiscent of this concept. If you haven't read Brin before he is worth a look.

http://www.davidbrin.com/othersfbooks.html
    (scroll down to Earth)

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    All I can tell you for sure is the earth will not be destroyed by water.

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    All I can tell you for sure is the earth will not be destroyed by water.
    I believe you are refering to the original of the story related below, or do you have some scietific reasoning?
    If Noah Built The Ark Today

And the Lord spoke to Noah and said: "In six months I’m going to make it rain until the whole earth is covered with water and all the evil people are destroyed. But I want to save a few good people, and two of every kind of living thing on the planet. I am ordering you to build Me an Ark." And in a flash of lightning He delivered the specifications for an Ark.
    "OK," said Noah, trembling in fear and fumbling with the blueprints.
    "Six months, and it starts to rain," thundered the Lord. "You’d better have the Ark completed, or learn how to swim for a very long time."
    And six months passed. The skies began to cloud up and rain began to fall. The Lord saw that Noah was sitting in his front yard, weeping. And there was no Ark.
    "Noah," shouted the Lord, "where is My Ark?"
    A lightning bolt crashed into the ground next to Noah. "Lord, please forgive me!" begged Noah. "I did my best. But there were big problems. First I had to get a building permit for the Ark construction project, and your plans didn’t meet code. So I had to hire an engineer to redraw the plans. Then I got into a big fight over whether or not the Ark needed a fire sprinkler system. My neighbors objected claiming I was violating zoning by building the Ark in my front yard, so I had to get a variance from the city planning commission..
    Then I had a big problem getting enough wood for the Ark because there was a ban on cutting trees to save the Spotted Owl. I had to convince U.S. Fish and Wildlife that I needed the wood to save the owls. But they wouldn’t let me catch any owls. So no owls. Then the carpenters formed a union and went out on strike. I had to negotiate a settlement with the National labor Relations Board before anyone would pick up a saw or a hammer. Now we have 16 carpenters going on the boat, and still no owls.
    Then I started gathering up animals, and got sued by an animal rights group. They objected to me taking only two of each kind. Just when I got the suit dismissed, EPA notified me that I couldn’t complete the Ark without filing an environmental impact statement on your proposed flood. They didn’t take kindly to the idea that they had no jurisdiction over the conduct of a Supreme Being.
    Then the Army Corps of Engineers wanted a map of the proposed new flood plan. I sent them a globe. Right now I’m still trying to resolve a complaint from the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission over how many Croatians I’m supposed to hire, the IRS has seized all my assets claiming I’m trying to avoid paying taxes by leaving the country, and I just got a notice from the state about owing some kind of use tax. I really don’t think I can finish your Ark for at least another five years," Noah wailed.
    The sky began to clear. The sun began to shine. A rainbow arched across the sky. Noah looked up and smiled. "You mean you’re not going to destroy the earth?" Noah asked, hopefully.
    "Wrong!" thundered the Lord. "But being Lord of the Universe has its advantages. I fully intend to smite the Earth, but with something far worse than a flood. Something Man invented himself—GOVERNMENT!"

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Genesis|9:11 And I will establish my covenant with you; neither shall
    all flesh be cut off any more by the waters of a flood; neither shall there
    any more be a flood to destroy the earth.
    Genesis|9:12 And God said, This is the token of the covenant which I
    make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for
    perpetual generations:
    Genesis|9:13 I do set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a token
    of a covenant between me and the earth.
    Genesis|9:14 And it shall come to pass, when I bring a cloud over the
    earth, that the bow shall be seen in the cloud:
    Genesis|9:15 And I will remember my covenant, which is between me and
    you and every living creature of all flesh; and the waters shall no more
    become a flood to destroy all flesh.

I have the word of God no it, what you got?
    Chip

Occupation
    Black Holes Produced In Large Hadron Collider Will Not Pose Any Hazards To Earth
    By Charles Q. Choi
    Special to LiveScience
    posted: 19 September 2006 08:58 am ET

Scientists could generate a black hole as often as every second when the world's most powerful particle accelerator - the LHC (Large Hadron Collider) - comes online in 2007.

This potential "black hole factory" has raised fears that a scientifically engineered black hole could destroy the planet. The Lifeboat Foundation, a nonprofit organization devoted to safeguarding humanity from what it considers threats to human existence, has stated that artificial black holes could "threaten all life on Earth" and so it proposes to set up "self-sustaining colonies elsewhere."

But the possibility that experiments at LHC could pose a threat to our planet is "totally miniscule," experimental physicist Greg Landsberg at Brown University in Providence, R.I., told LiveScience ...

For the complete MSNBC report:
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14923900/

Crime Scene Earth: Every clock tick, the earth is traversed by an unimaginable number of neutrinos, ghostly subatomic particles that are emitted by the sun. They're almost undetectable. In 1993, however, the earth may have been hit by a real cosmic "bullet" - an exotically dense form of matter - too small to have been visible to the naked eye, yet massive enough to have registered on earthquake detectors at seismic stations around the world. The "bullet" (if there really was one) bored through the earth in less than sixty seconds with the energy of a fifty kiloton atomic bomb, exiting a half-world away from where it entered, and at almost the same fantastic speed ...

For more, see Gone In Sixty Seconds.
    Last edited by rinselberg; 09-22-2006 at 10:28 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have a friend who is a pastor. He wrote a novel about Noah and the building of the ark. Really great, cause it's got funny in it too, and some ideas that I had never heard before (speaking as a non-believer who is fascinated by faith). I wish I still had the manuscript cause it was a great read, unfortunately that was a couple of computers ago.
    www.opticaljedi.com
    www.facebook.com/opticaljedi
    www.twitter.com/opticaljedi

Occupation

LHC is just about to start, but its successor may be just around the corner ...

September 25, 2006

From Zero to a Billion Electron Volts in 3.3 Centimeters
    Highest Energies Yet From Laser Wakefield Acceleration

BERKELEY, CA. In a precedent-shattering demonstration of the potential of laser-wakefield acceleration -- which by the way, has nothing to do with the Boston Red Sox Tim Wakefield -- scientists at the Department of Energy's Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, [in collaboration with] the University of Oxford, have accelerated electron beams to energies exceeding a billion electron volts (1 GeV) in a distance of just 3.3 centimeters ...

Billion-electron-volt, high-quality electron beams have been produced with laser wakefield acceleration in recent experiments by Berkeley Lab's LOASIS group ... The drive laser beam travels through a plasma inside a capillary wave guide contained in titanium sapphire.

SLAC, the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center, boosts electrons to 50 GeV over a distance of two miles ... with ... electric fields [that] are limited to about 20 million volts per meter; [but] the electric field of a plasma wave driven by a laser pulse can reach 100 billion volts per meter ... which has made it possible for the Berkeley group and their Oxford collaborators to achieve [two percent] of SLAC's beam energy with a waveguide that is just one part in 100,000 as long, dimensionally.

The capillary waveguide is filled with hydrogen gas, and a discharge between electrodes at each end of the waveguide heats the gas and forms a plasma. The laser accelerates the electron beam, which is steered by magnets and monitored by a phosphor screen and synchronized CCD cameras. The capillary waveguide is a mere 3.3 centimeters in length -- but its function is comparable to waveguides that are many kilometers in length, such as the Large Hadron Collider ...

This is only the first step, says Wim Leemans of Berkeley Lab's Accelerator and Fusion Research Division ... "Billion-electron-volt beams from laser-wakefield accelerators open the way to very compact high-energy experiments and superbright free-electron lasers."

Bottom line: This could point the way to future particle accelerators that would be miniscule in size compared to the 27-kilometer Large Hadron Collider, and yet surpass it in power and capabilities. I think it could be a critical milestone on the way to developing practical, large-scale electrical power generation from hydrogen or helium-fueled nuclear fusion reactors, which scientists have been working on for decades.

For more about the LOASIS project:
    http://www.lbl.gov/Science-Articles/...GeV-beams.html

Also: Honey, I Shrunk The Particle Accelerator
    Last edited by rinselberg; 06-07-2007 at 12:32 AM.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

32 days left.

www.notepad.ch
    Save the universe.
    Timeline
    ISSUE Large explosion: 2005
    ISSUE Magnet failure: 2007
    TEST Test Sector warmup/coopdown cycle: 2007
    QA ISSUE 7 of 8 segments failed cool-down tests
    CANCELLED Complete warmup/cooldown cycle, Low power runs
    INIT System init (1. Time Beam injection): 21. May 2008
    INIT Cold Date: 1. June 2008
    INIT (1. Time Protons used): 15. June 2008
    DOCU New safety report not released
    START System activation (1. Time Circulating beams): July 2008
    RISK Black hole (First collisions: August 2008
    PROD System ready: October 2008
    HIGH RISK EXPERIMENT Elevated black hole risk: 21. December 1212
    Important note:
    These are not official dates. No official dates where available to us yet. CERN should publish them.
    These dates are based on news, opinions and insider info. Additionally, I try my best. I am not a scientist - just a citizen. I will update this information and all information on www.notepad.ch as soon as new information becomes available. The blogs at www.notepad. have been created on the 14 of April, that is the date I realized that the black hole danger at the CERN's LHC is for real. My goal is to let you decide if there is an issue with the 'go to prod' of the LHC - or not. That is the reason this site consists just of News, opinions, forum messages etc. I always named the source of the quote, did mention in each article that this is a quote from etc. My assumption is that this is the legal and fair way to quote without changing the context. Please tell me if I am wrong and I will immediately correct it. Thank you.

XX days refers to the initialisation of the LHC. This is the date I currently think is right, but may be corrected at any time. It was pointed out that at this date the risk of black hole creation will not be elevated yet, which is through. In XX days I'm referring to the start date of the potential risk to create a black hole. I also wanted to have a real date, in order to put some urgency on the issue. Which it has.

www.notepad.ch

Occupation
    The knowledge derived from measurements of stars and cosmic rays and from previous particle accelerator experiments and other physics experiments provides the scientific confidence that all of the various "Doomsday" scenarios connected with the Large Hadron Collider are fictional and impossible.

"There is nothing to fear but fear itself.."

See my other recent post:
    http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...9&postcount=54
    Last edited by rinselberg; 04-19-2008 at 09:06 PM.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Reisleb:
    I think it goes "We have nothing to fear but fear itself." FDR

Thread Information