Thread: Paper topic

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Paper topic

Hello, I am in a business law class where we must write a paper. As an english teacher once told me write what you know. I am playing with the idea of the legal issues involved for opticain/optical shops when a licence is not neccesary in that state. Any thoughts?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    OK so I will narrow my scope to Indiana for 2 reasons 1. I live and dispense here 2. There is not enough room to cover all 50 states.

I do have some specific questions. I have lived in Indiana for a short while, there is no licence required and there is no State orginization. Was there ever an orginization?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I can understand why a lawyer or a politician might feel that "everything" needs a license. Preferably one issued under our direction and supervision. Why does the legal world feel that the rest of the world is incompetent to do anything without thier permission?

Chip

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    If it leads to licensure in your state or even informs the public that the people making the glasses are not licensed, than more power to you. You may be able to get some help or even some of your questions answered by the Opticians Association of America.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    I can understand why a lawyer or a politician might feel that "everything" needs a license. Preferably one issued under our direction and supervision. Why does the legal world feel that the rest of the world is incompetent to do anything without thier permission?

Chip
    My point is that with the lets licence everything attitude a bad haircut will not cause the same sort of discomfort that dispensing a wrong Rx will. I spent yesterday troubleshooting glasses made at chain shops and over half were solved by minor adjustments. I am now getting the standard reply of "they said they will do anything you say". It is quicker for me to do the adjustments myself than tell someone what to do and I do not want one of our Pt's driving around feeling "woozy". Part of this paper is due to that frustration.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    If it leads to licensure in your state or even informs the public that the people making the glasses are not licensed, than more power to you. You may be able to get some help or even some of your questions answered by the Opticians Association of America.
    Harry I can hope but with 3 kids and full time work and full time school there is not enough energy left. I am just depressed at the level of appathy and think it is due to the lack of some kind of controls, licencing or whatever.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by efsamuel View Post
    . I am just depressed at the level of appathy and think it is due to the lack of some kind of controls, licencing or whatever.

Apathy is something that runs rampant in this industry. As Harry stated , the OAA is a start. You might want to get in touch with a member here on Optiboard who has been involved with legislation and license issues for other states. I believe it is Roy Fergueson(sp?). Maybe he could give you some insight. Best of Luck!!

Fezz
    :cheers:

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ef: How many people have you seen that either achieved some education or license and sat back on thier laurels with the attitude :I've got a license to steal." or "I struggled so long in school, I'm going to take it easy now that I can ....?"
    Apathy or laziness, or an unwillingness to learn doesn't go away with license or education.
    Only application and willingness of the individual can cure or help this.
    How many O.D.'s who do thier own personal dispensing or have hirelings to dispense, can solder/weld a frame? How many M.D. or chain operated dispensaries can.
    How many optical dispensers when asked why don't you attend educational meetings or join state associations reply: "I work for a doctor, as long as he's happy it doesn't matter what I know."

Chip

If there is an answer, and I no longer think there is, it's for the rest of us to hold ourselves to such a high standard in service that others feel compelled to assend to a high level.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chip,

I agree with your points. I called it apathy too. Let me play Devil's Advocate: We could get a bit philisophical and say that those who do not strive for higher standards have a better feel for how the market, or business, is trending and have readjusted and shifted there strategies to better align with the consumer and business demands. Those of us who continue to strive for higher standards have missed the boat, and will perish in the new shifted business climate! Food for thought.

Fezz
    :cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    OK Chip, so how do we screen for application and willingness. How do you measure that? I can tell you now that I agree with you and a license or education doesn't prove that.

However by virtue of having some willingness and applying oneself in at least a small way a license and/or education is a good screener. When I worked in Ca. and there was a license option in effect I knew several opticians who were ABOC but never were licensed. All you had to do to get one was send a copy of your ABO to the board and most places would even pay the fee for you, you wouldn't have to even mess with reimbursement. Since there was no screen you had ABOC opticians who still didn't bother to put nose pads on the right way (Left pad on Right pad arm etc.)

It's kind of like flying a plane; it’s easy until you have to land. The job is easy enough until something goes wrong and we become detectives to fix it. If you do not have the skills the plane will not land.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Chip,

I agree with your points. I called it apathy too. Let me play Devil's Advocate: We could get a bit philisophical and say that those who do not strive for higher standards have a better feel for how the market, or business, is trending and have readjusted and shifted there strategies to better align with the consumer and business demands. Those of us who continue to strive for higher standards have missed the boat, and will perish in the new shifted business climate! Food for thought.
    Fezz,

I see what you are saying. That is just as depressing as the apathy. The "new" strategy is to rely on those who are able to fix problems with their specalized knowledge and they should set up shop with the mainframe programmers huh? How is having a pair of glasses adjusted correctly the first time from the place a patient orders them a high standard?

I know all of us who are trained can quit selling and become Eyewear Adjustment Specalist or something, we will be consultants and can hire ourselfes out to chains. Only work when we feel like it and charge by the degree of difficulty. Oh, sorry I must be dreaming. ;)

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    .................. Those of us who continue to strive for higher standards have missed the boat, and will perish in the new shifted business climate! Food for thought.
    Fezz

"Don't be afraid to take a big step. You can't cross a chasm in two small jumps."
    David Lloyd George

Bad address email on file Karlen McLean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Posso sources

In addition to the Opticians Association of America (OAA), you might want to try to glean information from states that are currently licensed. Check with their associations. These include Florida, New York, Ohio, North Carolina, Georgia, and several others (I think there are 22 or so but I'm not sure). Then there are other states like Texas and Colorado that have voluntary registration but don't require licensure.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks, I have not visited the oaa site in a while, it looks good. I have a great start.

Thread Information