Thread: Trying to make sense in Ohio

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Trying to make sense in Ohio

I became ABO licensed while living in Ohio in the late 80's. I moved away for a decade then moved back. I have continued working as an optician during that time and have a current ABO license. I called the Ohio opticians board only to be told that I am not regonized in Ohio as a licensed optician. In the early 90's they decided that you needed to be state licensed. The test they use, you guessed it, the ABO. I have talked until I am blue and they still insist that even though I hold a current ABO license I am not considered licensed in Ohio. They want me to go to the expense and time to retake the test. Any insight?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Certification

The ABO is not a license, but a voluntary certification, and is minimal at best. Along with the exam, I understand the state uses a practical as well. Licensure is important, and while you are in that gray area, will have to take the exam.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Abo

thanks for the information. when i took the abo originally 18 years ago, it was recognized as licensure in the state of ohio. that's what makes no sense to me. i have already taken the test and to take it again seems ludicrous.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    They will accept the advanced as a substitue. This will help you to attain a higher certification and to meet the requirements to get licensure, hope this helps.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ohio doesn't have a practical, just time apprenticing under a license or OD. If you been in optics for over 18 years, you should have no problem passing the test. I didn't. It's a technicality, just take the test and move on. I let mine expire and had to retake it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    SUZ, according to the law as it pertains in Ohio, you must have pased the ABO/NCLE with in one year of applying for a license in the state of Ohio. I moved here 3 and a half years ago form a non license state, and had taken the ABO/NCLE 16 months prior (I retook the test in lue of CE credits) And thath wasnt good enough. Do as Cheif says and retake the test in November and you'll have your license in January. Be sure and take the ncle at the same time that way you'll get your CL license also. Something else you need to know, Most of the CE credits that you will get from the Opticians Assoc. of Ohio will not be any good for ABO/NCLE CE:angry:
    good luck
    Paul:cheers:

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Follow the money trail. There is absolutely no reason for this except for the money. Write your congressman- I have a co-worker in a similar situation, except she never left the state and like yourself, maintained her national continuing education requirements, which are IDENTICAL to the state requirements, except she didn't pay the yearly state fee. Now, I believe, Our state fee pays the national fee.
    Bob Taylor

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    SUZ, according to the law as it pertains in Ohio, you must have pased the ABO/NCLE with in one year of applying for a license in the state of Ohio. I moved here 3 and a half years ago form a non license state, and had taken the ABO/NCLE 16 months prior (I retook the test in lue of CE credits) And thath wasnt good enough. Do as Cheif says and retake the test in November and you'll have your license in January. Be sure and take the ncle at the same time that way you'll get your CL license also. Something else you need to know, Most of the CE credits that you will get from the Opticians Assoc. of Ohio will not be any good for ABO/NCLE CE:angry:
    good luck

Does the Opticians Assoc of Ohio still have their conventions?
    We used to go to those regularly about ten years ago, but they started shrinking in size and we stopped going. It was fun, even though we were not Ohio opticians, we were received well. And of course we knew many of the exhibitors.
    I still remember the very first time we went. We walked into the Hyatt and the first thing we saw was a 400lb guy lumbering past us in a Capt. Kirk outfit. Then we saw some Space Hippies. Then a full studio makeup Klingon (the new ones not from ST:Tos). Turned out in the East wing there was a Star Trek Convention. So we looked around before going around back and down the stairs.
    And there was the time when it was clear going into the convention, but when everyone came out, there was four inches of snow that had fallen in a few hours.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thread Information