Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Rx's: A Primary Obstacle in Prescrption Sunglasses

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

High Rx's: A Primary Obstacle in Prescrption Sunglasses

First of all let me preface this by saying that if this post violates the "diagnosing specific problems" clause, I apologize and won't press the topic. Nonetheless some of this information will likely be useful to quite a few folks so here we go.

Surely most of you are aware of the severe restrictions on high Rx's for prescription sunglass frames + lenses. If you're above a -5 you can pretty much kiss base-8 wrap-arounds goodbye, and if you're above a -6.25 or -6.5, you're essentially out of options. I recently came across this issue when contacting a Maui Jim rep to find out what upper limits their lab supported for their Rx line of frames. It turns out that -6.25 is their *absolute* cutoff for any and all frames.

Now this unfortunate situation will clearly irritate many consumers who are looking for high-end sunglass solutions in high Rx's, but really what other options are there? At best it seems like most retail stores will try to sell you a very small base-6 frame and hope that the Rx will somehow work, but does this mean that those who want a wider area of ocular protection or - dare I say it - a fashionable set of shades are pretty much out of luck if their vision hits a certain cutoff number? Or do we just have to wait until the next innovation allows manufacturers the ability to craft wider solutions for those of us hovering around -6.5 and beyond?

I invite all who have experienced these issues, be they manufacturers themselves, professionals who have been able to fill such orders, or even simply people who are aware of companies that can beat MJ's 6.25 limit, to contribute to this thread.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Big Smile Slave to fashion

We see a *few* patients with rather high rx's and I make sure that we carry fashionable sun solutions. We use a polarized lens mfgr that has a high index polarized lens in gray or brown that goes from a -8.00 to a +6.00 in single vision. I also use another company that can grind the CT to a 1.2 in a polarized poly if you wear progressives.

I have "large" sunglass frames that accomodate these rx's available in zyl (plastic). I even carry a metal frame with a side sheild that would hide edge thickness.

Now Maui Jim is not at the epicenter of fashion so maybe you are more interested in lenses. We can duplicate the MJ lens style - polarized, backside AR and double-gradient mirror if you are looking for that type of lens treatment.

However, as far as the "wrap" style goes for prescription sunwear lenses I'm afraid it's only a niche market. Higher rx's make up a small percentage of marketshare. I think that perhaps the mfgr's feel that it would be too cost prohibitive to the consumer and to themselves to make those lenses.

Yes, you will be limited in lens size because the blank size on those lenses are around 75mm in diameter. Take into account your PD (width between your pupils) and the size of the frame and you may only be able to make your rx work in a frame that is of average size at best. Some of those wrap frames are deceiving in size because you don't take the curvature into account.

But - can I make fashionable sunwear for an extremely high rx? OH YEAH. Because I am a slave to fashion :p ;)

PS - if you are ever in Scottsdale...

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation

High wrap Rx with -5.00 and greater

kharmak said:
    Surely most of you are aware of the severe restrictions on high Rx's for prescription sunglass frames + lenses. If you're above a -5 you can pretty much kiss base-8 wrap-arounds goodbye, and if you're above a -6.25 or -6.5, you're essentially out of options.
    With almost all sunglass manufacturers and lens companies this is true.

ICE-TECH Advanced Lens Technologies has such a solution. See more information on our website. http://www.ice-tech.com/ice-techrx.asp
    We offer Thin-ICE Technology.

There are a other solutions but most are using a hybird product. By that I mean a lens that has part of the optical solution on the front of the lens and the balance on the rear with a spherical curve only on the back.

ICE-TECH has a unique process that compensates for the wrap angle and also compensates for the tilt of the frame. The frame dimensions are measured and the patients prescription taken into account. With this information a truly customized lens is created for the patient. This lens has a 6 or 8 base spherical front curve exactly like the non-prescription lens. We have produced up to -10.25 prescription lenses using our technology. We do have limitations and only attempt stronger than 6.00 total powers after consultation with the retailer ordering the lens.

We currently only produce our sunlens in one material but we have perfected the production of this process. We can also apply a wide range of mirrors in house with a relatively short turnaround time.

We are not a lens company that attempts to produce all lenses. We specialize in unique solutions.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    optigrrl: I agree that MJ isn't the most fashionable brand, though others may take issue with that statement ;-). I suppose I should have made my current desires more clear:

- priority #1 is to obtain a high quality polarized lens with attenuation of both UV + high-freq blue wavelengths, and the least loss of ambient color richness.

- priority #2 is to obtain the aforementioned lens in as LARGE a frame as possible, as the goal is to get maximal coverage from all angles.

- priority #3, and probably the least important at this time, is to obtain a large frame that doesn't look freakishly silly.

I mentioned MJ simply because it's the brand that gets thrown at me the most when I mention priority #1 in shops.

And sadly I'm in Los Angeles and not in a position to drive to Scottsdale anytime soon. :hammer: Cheers.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    AWTECH: Your products are quite intriguing and I get the feeling I'll be reading up on them for quite some time. But a few questions for now:

1) "We currently only produce our sunlens in one material but we have perfected the production of this process." I was under the impression that you had at least 3 different materials including the Armor Lens, Precision-Tech lens, and Tech-Lite lens. Or would I be limited to some particular material as a result of a high Rx?

2) "We do have limitations and only attempt stronger than 6.00 total powers after consultation with the retailer ordering the lens." Where would I go to find retailers that offer your products and are somewhat familiar with your lines and recent innovations? Are there specific optics franchises that carry your products or should I just be attempting to find local shops in the Los Angeles, CA area? Feel free to PM me if this is getting too specific for this forum.

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation
    The Rx lens is currently only available in polycarbonate, however our polycarbonate is quite different that most. It is produced with the highest quality raw material and injected using a special process eleminating the biggest problem for poly and that is stress within the lens.

For those interested in obtaining our lens products in areas where we do not currently have an optical retailer I suggest you go to an independant optical retailer who is willing to order the ICE-TECH lens. If they are not willing to listen and order from ICE-TECH, and some may try to tell you they have the same capability (which their lab does not), just try to find another retailer that is willing to order from ICE-TECH. Quality is of the upmost importance to us, and we are not the lowest cost lens for the optical retailer. You can do much of this work to find an optical retailer by telephone.

Occupation
    oops
    Last edited by optigrrl; 09-02-2006 at 11:33 PM.

Occupation
    - priority #1 is to obtain a high quality polarized lens with attenuation of both UV + high-freq blue wavelengths, and the least loss of ambient color richness.
    Ask for KBco's polar brown c in high index 1.67 with a mirror coating. Brown lenses have an orange base which neutralizes blue wavelengths. Polarized lenses are 100% UV compliant. The mirror coating adds enough gray coloring to subdue the "orangy" color the lenses have and makes colors look more natural than without.

I prefer a flash gradient silver mirror over brown polarized lenses - not such an opaque "cop" look. More fashionable.

- priority #2 is to obtain the aforementioned lens in as LARGE a frame as possible, as the goal is to get maximal coverage from all angles.
    Large may not be the only key here. Side and top coverage can be had and give you more coverage than simply a large lens shape.

Are you male or female? (fashion reasons only) Some examples:

Mikli A0355
    Mikli A0465
    Mikli A0538
    Mikli A0640
    Mikli A0534

Look at these online at:

http://www.mikli.com/mikli.html

under Collection, Sunglasses, Seduction Ville

These frames are larger, are 6 base and have plenty of coverage.

- priority #3, and probably the least important at this time, is to obtain a large frame that doesn't look freakishly silly.
    ...and non of them look freakishly silly.

I mentioned MJ simply because it's the brand that gets thrown at me the most when I mention priority #1 in shops.
    MJ is known for their lens quality. Some of the best in the world but can be reproduced - for a price. Their frames are just OK for die-hard fashionistas.

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation

Better Sunlens technology

Optigrrl said:
    Ask for KBco's polar brown c in high index 1.67 with a mirror coating. Brown lenses have an orange base which neutralizes blue wavelengths. Polarized lenses are 100% UV compliant. The mirror coating adds enough gray coloring to subdue the "orangy" color the lenses have and makes colors look more natural than without.
    I respect your opinon: however their lens needs to have the prescription produced on the back side. A number of calculations are required to obtain the correct vision with a wrap around lens. In additions to these calculations a non sperical surface on the back virtually eleminates power error across the surface of the lens.

The ICE-TECH individualized lens is perfectly matched taking into account all of the dynamics. This is not possible with traditional surfacing.

With a 60mm "A" measurement this patient will have a lens much thicker with the 1.67 KBCO lens than with an ICE-TECH Individualized lens produced using Optimium-ICE Technology combined with our exclusive Thin-ICE processing.

Since we do not have distribution in the west at this time I understand that many opticians in the industry are unaware of our capabilities.

Occupation
    Need a rep?

Occupation
    I respect your opinon: however their lens needs to have the prescription produced on the back side. A number of calculations are required to obtain the correct vision with a wrap around lens. In additions to these calculations a non sperical surface on the back virtually eleminates power error across the surface of the lens.
    I only pointed out frames that gave a "wrapped" look at 6 base but have accomodated a 3 base lens in the past. I then send it to a lab that still does hand-beveling.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optigrrl: Of course you're right about the large lenses insofar as a compact pair could have complete coverage if the upper/lower poles curved inwards towards the skull. But fits like those have to be tried out one by one since subtle facial features will make them uncomfortable to wear.

Which actually brings me to my next point: one of the reasons I'm trying to get some names of other manufacturers (and thanks for the mikli site, I'll be reading up on that tomorrow morning) is simply because most of us like to try out a frame type at a local store to make sure it conforms to our own face and doesn't crush our eyelashes or do something else equally irritating.

Now as long as you mentioned MJ lens quality being some of the best in the world, I feel compelled to ask what other manufacturers you would place in that category, especially ones that could handle high Rx's (feel free to chime in if you're somebody else reading this). I'll probably end up contacting all these companies one by one to find out which ones can handle a high Rx order, and then from that list I'll have to find local places that may carry their frames so I can try them out. Andrew was nice enough to point out that I could always send in a pair of frames to have lens fitted for them, so there's an option that's also available. Who knows, maybe I'll get lucky and find a place that for some reason carries the Titanium Ice series so I can try them on ;-)

Oh, and I'm a male with brownish hair and big bushy eyebrows, in case that helps. :D

Occupation
    Oh, I do understand the need to try on frames! That's why I gave you specific model #'s - so you can call around. The best thing would be to find an optical that does trunk shows with Mikli (or whoever) because they bring in the entire line for customers to try on.

About MJ lenses - they do not own a patent on polarization. They do not own a patent on double-gradient mirrors and they do not hold a patent on backside anti-reflective coating. But put the three together and you have something - get my drift?

And if AWTECH can get you into a wrapped polarized rx lens, then all they need to do is send it out for the mirror and the anti-reflective coating.

You know, Scottsdale is only a 6 hour drive from LA. I could arrange a private viewing of frames...;)

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Actually, for anyone else following this thread and looking to go the same route...I believe ICE-TECH handles the entire production process in-house, including the AR + mirror.AWTECH, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.And optigrrl, though I appreciate the offer, 90 hour workweeks are slightly prohibitive when it comes to taking trips - trying to keep this all local for a good reason!

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation

ICE-TECH capabilities

Yes, ICE-TECH can produce the complete lens process in our facilities.

I believe we have one, if not the most advanced, prescription sunlens capabilities of any sunglass company.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    deleted

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    eh?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

sunglasses

kharmak, an alternate to all of this is, some of the major sunglass mfrs make wrap sunlasses that are plano in the wrap, in all sorts of colors, on the back of the frame there is a prescription clip, that will virtually accomodate any rx, without the problem that the curve needed in the wrap presents, thus you can wear them as prescription shades, and if you also wear contacts you flip out the rxable clip and wear them as plano shades over the contacts

Occupation
    90 hour workweeks are slightly prohibitive when it comes to taking trips - trying to keep this all local for a good reason!

There's always vacation time! Scottsdale is beautiful in the fall and winter! ;)

I understand a tight schedule. What you need to do is simply take the info you have here and start calling local optical shops. That will save you time in the long run and they will tell you if they can provide a fashionable solution before you make the trip. There are plenty of knowledgable opticians in the LA area and the products I mentioned are no secret to the industry.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Allan I am waiting on Donn to send me some information regarding your sunglasses, I have heard they are the best for high Rx's. I was asking Donn if he could take a picture of the High Rx he has as a demo and send it to me, he was so impressed I can't wait to see what it looks like. If you can get me a picture I will be offering your solutions to my customers.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation

ICE-TECH information

Harry;

Please send me the address to have a package of information on ICE-TECH forwarded to.

I will also get you a photo in a day or two as we are in the process of getting these so that we can have some examples on our website.

Thank you for the interest.

Regards,

Allen

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    We've seen some pretty ugly uncut lenses coming in this past summer.
    It seems like everyone who has high rx always wants those new huge sunglasses. Most of our female cust's have PDs of 56-59 which also adds to the blank. After about the 7,529th remake, I realized that even with hi-index lenses available, it's better to be realistic and upfront with the cust's, so far they've been very understanding and even grateful that I cared enough to suggest they invest their money in something that would look so much better and not compromise optics.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by s-man-optiker View Post
    We've seen some pretty ugly uncut lenses coming in this past summer.
    It seems like everyone who has high rx always wants those new huge sunglasses. Most of our female cust's have PDs of 56-59 which also adds to the blank. After about the 7,529th remake, I realized that even with hi-index lenses available, it's better to be realistic and upfront with the cust's, .
    Oh yes.........uglies galore, one of our worst which we tried so hard to put off, but the Px insisted, was a pr of lenses -6.00 / -6.00 cyl x 45 approx with a PD of 59 into a 60 eye Cebe 8 Base. The lenses looked like a pair of ashtrays ( I seem to remember we had them made on a 6 base but edged it as a 8) and somehow I edged them into the frame

The px seemed happy on collection, said they felt a bit strange and we've never heard from him since. Maybe he was one of the statistics in the paper the next day.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    LOL, ashtrays... I'm still laughing.

Occupation
    Shoulda taken pics!!!

Thread Information