Thread: to make friends with optometrists worldwide and share professional ideas

Bad address email on file
    Hi everyone. I am Ashish. I have a private optometric and dispensing practice in New Delhi India. I have done my optometry degree from the All India Institute Og Medical Sciences New Delhi.
    Ont this platform I would like to share professional ideas with you all and expect to learn more about our profession.
    Anyone who is intrested is free to star discussion on any topic of mutual intrest.
    You can mail me at samoptics@yahoo.com too

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi Ashish!!! Welcome to Optiboard. We look forward to having you with us!!
    Have a great day and hope to talk with you soon!!!
    Steph

Hello Stephanie. Its nice to get a prompt response from the optiboard.
    I have a private practice in New Delhi.I have a fully equipped clinic and do dispensing too. We also fit contact lenses.
    Where do you work and what are your areas of intrest in optometry. Hoping to get your reply soon

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

I work for a large chain. I am a certified almost licensed optician. I think every aspect of optical is interesting. I am looking for a private dispensary to work for. I hope to own my own dispensary one day. Until then I will continue on where I am. Right at this time I am studying to take the NCLE exam. Again welcome to the board!!
    Have a great day!
    Steph

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ashish, let me also welcome you to the board as a licensed dispensing optician.That is mostly what you will find on this board. For some ideas you might look at some of the threads that have been started, such as the one i started back a couple of months ago, called TIPS ON DISPENSING, that you will find under the GENERAL DISCUSSION FORUM. I have worked with a number of indian OD,s over the years and in fact work with a Dr. Patel right now. We have a number of them here in the Charlotte,N.C. area. Am kind of curious as to what sells as far as name brands in your practice, and do they have licensed opticians in India, or do the OD,s do it all. Also are you practicing any lasik, rk, prk, etc.?

The optical market is becoming very brand oriented here. Some og the popular brands are: CD,Gucci,safilo,Police,Armani.recently elizabetharden frames are popular. The selling prices of brands here is much much less as compared to the retail price in USA.
    Chinese frames are selling in the lower segment, but they are not of good quality. the color faded too soon because of hot weather here.What do you people sell the most.Is poly carbonate popular noe ?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ashish, yes i was aware of the price difference, my asian customers, which is quite large where i dispense, frequently tell me about that and commonly bring the frames back with them to the states. Poly is getting more and more poular,because of the lightweight thinness and the fact that here in the states we have some very stringent federal government guidelines on lens thickness,for safety reasons, especially with industrial safety glasses.

its a pity we dont have any laws regarding lens specifications.because of the price glass sells more and in many practices run by non professionals glass is routinely fitted even in children.
    Poly carbonate has just been introduced in India by essilor, but the price is something like 5 times that of resin lens.
    Do you people use some kind of in house scratch resistant coating. I need that desperately because of the dust here in summers lenses get scratched easily

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Ashish, yes we do have scratch resistant coatings we use in the lab. I would try emailing Jeff Trail who is a lab owner and very knowledgeable in these areas. You can email him at specs31.aol.com. For your questions about working here in the states try contacting this OD that i use to work with, as both him and his wife are both OD,s that have been in other countries. He is Dr. Naheed Kassam, and you can phone him at 919-577-0637. regards Harry

Ashish,
    I believe you will have to go to university again in order to obtain a Doctor of Optometry degree in North America which you require for licensing in any states or Canadian provinces.You may have to start from 1st year after passing pre-optometry assessment.I know of one school of optometry which gives advance standing to foreign trained optometrist this school is called New England College of Optometry.I don't have address handy but if you can email me tommorrow or any week days your New Delhi time 12.00 noon,I will check it out in my office and reply you back.
    If a person has optometry qualifications from Canada,Australia,States and United Kingdom they are generally accepted for licensing in most states without undergoing further studies.
    I would suggest you first decide which state you want to settle and than contact the licensing board of that particular state for licensing information.
    When I was residing in Toronto few years back
    I came across many foreign qualified optometrist working as ophthalmic assistant or taking career as an optician after passing
    neccessary provincial optician's licensing examinations and sometimes they had to undergo further studies in opticianry or contact lens practice before granting a license.
    Well my friend that's life.

Banned
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Wink optovision

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    I work for a large chain. I am a certified almost licensed optician. I think every aspect of optical is interesting. I am looking for a private dispensary to work for. I hope to own my own dispensary one day. Until then I will continue on where I am. Right at this time I am studying to take the NCLE exam. Again welcome to the board!!
    Have a great day!
    Steph

I think you work for optovision.is that right?:cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How do you guys find these 8 1/2 year old threads? And then you ask a question, kind of like its the present day?:hammer:

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    How do you guys find these 8 1/2 year old threads? And then you ask a question, kind of like its the present day?:hammer:
    Quit nitpicking. If they want to talk, let them talk!

Now back to more important things...do you think Jordan can carry the Bulls again this year?
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Quit nitpicking. If they want to talk, let them talk!

Now back to more important things...do you think Jordan can carry the Bulls again this year?
    Nah, I think Bird and the Celtics will be too powerful.
    A lack of planning on your part DOES NOT constitute an emergency on mine!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_f_aboc View Post
    Nah, I think Bird and the Celtics will be too powerful.
    They do have the best free throw average in the league but i think Bird's game is dirty, Bird needs to give Bill Laimbeer hints on how to foul without getting caught.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by braheem24 View Post
    They do have the best free throw average in the league but i think Bird's game is dirty, Bird needs to give Bill Laimbeer hints on how to foul without getting caught.
    Maybe Laimbeer can teach Bird "The Flop."
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Vision Equipment OptiBoard Corporate Sponsor Leo Hadley Jr's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    They really need a guy like MeadowLark Lemon
    Leo Hadley Jr
    Vision Equipment
    T: 855.776.2020

www.visionequipmentinc.com

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by OpticLabRat View Post
    They really need a guy like MeadowLark Lemon

Or Curly Neal.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Thread Information