Thread: Could use some pointers...

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Could use some pointers...

Started surfacing poly recently and coating has not been a thrill, to say the least. My question is this. When inspecting the lens prior to backside coating is there a way to clean the backside of the lens without scratching it in the process? I'm not having much success. Whatcha think guys, gals, and/or gurus?

Peas out...
    Jason

OptiBoard Professional Mike Fretto's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Poly is a very soft material and scratches easily, but most scratches coat out. Are you having scratches after coating and if so what are you using to clean prior to coating? Also what type of system are you using to Coat?
    Mike

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Backside coating

Follow the machine manufacturers recomendations. I use a Ultra Optics and I wear powder free gloves. First step is water rinse. Second is a hand wash with Dawn soap Third I rinse with clean water Step 2 and 3 I aggressively clean with my fingers. Last is a squirt of 98% alcohol and with circular motions wipe the backside completely. I have no problems. the only time that I do is if I have that one lens at the endof the day and I do n't think I need to wear the gloves.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I think the important point is to backside coat the poly lens, THEN inspect it.
    RT

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    RTI think the important point is to backside coat the poly lens, THEN inspect it.

By inspect I mean, inspect to make sure there are no scratches and the lens is free of debris. I check Rx after coating.
    Mike FrettoPoly is a very soft material and scratches easily, but most scratches coat out. Are you having scratches after coating and if so what are you using to clean prior to coating? Also what type of system are you using to Coat?

I did not know that most scratches coat out. Thanks. We are using Chemalux tyo do backside hardcoat and AR.

Lab Fly: Powder Free gloves- Check! Dawn and Alcohol, yup doing that. I guess I'll develop a better technique over time. We are about a week into this new process. Learning curve can be a painful thing. Thanks guys

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by lgtsotr14 View Post
    I did not know that most scratches coat out. Thanks. We are using Chemalux tyo do backside hardcoat and AR.
    Tsk tsk! Did you really think you could get quality hard coat AND A/R for $50,000? There are no short cuts for quality A/R. The Ultra Optics is the best Hard coater.

Thread Information