Thread: Unmarked PALs

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Unmarked PALs

Is it normal for progressives to come back from the lab with the markings removed? When I worked for a company with on-premises lab, they left the markings which made dispensing and verifying much quicker. Where I work now, the lenses are shipped in and they're never marked. I have trouble seeing the tiny manufacturer's marks, so it's a hassle. Any suggestions to at least speed up the process of re-marking? Thank you.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

PAL Markings

Depends on how big a lab you use - most of them won't be able to change the way they final their jobs just for one customer, but you can ask.

We have a PAL id in our back room - it's a wonderful thing - makes seeing the laser etchings much easier. Not sure who makes it, but you should be able to find one pretty easily by asking your lab. I think Essilor makes one.

Otherwise, all you can do is dot those nasal and temporal circles (or boxes, crosses, etc.) and place it on a chart for the specific lens (which you lab should include in the job, at least our does - there's a different chart for each kind of lens as the measurements differ) and draw in the distance cross and reading area.

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Thanks for the reply and good advice. The scary part about this is, there are un-trained people allowed to check in and verify glasses where I work, and when it comes to progressives they just assume it's okay because they haven't been trained to verify them correctly. I can't wait to move on to a better company--or better yet, raise the standards where I work.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Pals

I know - I had that at the last place I worked. At my new job, I'm the one with the least experience :) but when I was at "a large optical retailer" it got sort of scary sometimes what people would do with segs and pd's, etc. when we would get busy. LOL.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    If you have a tint tank where you work, "steam" up the lenses - that sometimes helps identify the marks. Most of the time, I would hold the lenses up towards the fluoresent light.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Conoid of Sturm View Post
    I can't wait to move on to a better company--or better yet, raise the standards where I work.

:cheers:

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by GOS_Queen View Post
    If you have a tint tank where you work, "steam" up the lenses - that sometimes helps identify the marks. Most of the time, I would hold the lenses up towards the fluoresent light.
    This is what I do if I have problems, although it only seems that I ahve problems with Sola lenses and I don't tend to sell them very often.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    If I recall correctly, there was apparently a short lived lens (or line of lenses) that had markings that could only be seen under a black light. Before my time though....anyone recall such a thing?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Conoid of Sturm View Post
    Is it normal for progressives to come back from the lab with the markings removed? When I worked for a company with on-premises lab, they left the markings which made dispensing and verifying much quicker. Where I work now, the lenses are shipped in and they're never marked. I have trouble seeing the tiny manufacturer's marks, so it's a hassle. Any suggestions to at least speed up the process of re-marking? Thank you.
    I wonder if you could talk to your lab and ask them mark the "dots" before shipping them - (wouldn't need to be the entire set of markings ... just the dots) ???

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When getting uncuts from my lab, I always remove their inaccurate, hurried markings and remark them myself. Sometimes, they don't mark the whole circle, just a little dot, which leaves you at lease one mm of play where you put it down on that mark-up chart. I do use the PAL ID and it helps quite a bit. IMO, when I'm cutting out lenses, there is just no such thing as too exact. I did all the lab work for one year at a place I used to work for, and I didn't even know there was such a thing as tolerance. Then, I worked at LC and was referring to the thing every time I checked something out. So, having dead-on measurements for a year is pretty good, I'd say, maybe you shouldn't trust your lab to mark them for you.

Thread Information