Thread: safety sideshields

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

safety sideshields

I'm looking for a resource to purchase bulk replacement sideshields that have potential of being used with several different safety frame styles (universal fit)

Helpful assistance appreciateed

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

You might try. . .

AO Safety. 1-800-982-2828. We bought 100 pair for a safety account and they gave us a pretty good deal. You will probably have to talk to an account manager to get a better price. At least we did.
    Days where my gratitude exceed my expectations are very good days!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

side shields

better be careful with that one, as the frame is supposed to have the side shield that was specifically made for that safety frame, you could be setting yourself up for a lawsuit, also sideshields are so cheap, why would you want to do that?

Occupation
    One of the companies I service wants replacement side shields for their employees. All the safety eyewear we provide to them are dispensed with the appropriate manufacturers sideshields at the time of dispensing. However, they do not want to stock multiple replacement pairs for every frame style we offer. Originally, they wanted to limit saftety frames for their employees to two styles...one metal (silver & gold) and one plastic (grey & brown) but I suggested this may not meet the individual optical needs of all their employees.

Harry, I realize the issue in your post.......but I am confident we fulfilled our responsibility by dispensing the safety eyewear with the right sideshields out of the gate. I'm not in the side shield business and can't find it profitable to stock and sell $3 side shields for perhaps a few pennies of profit margin. Therefore, my intent is to inquire about a resource which the account may use directly.
    Last edited by PAkev; 08-18-2006 at 08:26 PM.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by PAkev View Post
    Originally, they wanted to limit saftety frames for their employees to two styles...one metal (silver & gold) and one plastic (grey & brown) but I suggested this may not meet the individual optical needs of all their employees.
    You should've taken that offer and ran with it! That's what we do. We offer 2 men's . 2 women's, and they stockpile the shields. It sure make life much, much easier, plus we can easily stock replacement parts, limiting the companies down time, and increasing the employees productivity.

I e-mailed you that I've got a few hundred of the "unviversal" shields for sale. I'm selling them for the same reason harry mentioned, I wouldn't dispense them with a 10 foot pole. I got a deal on them, and I want to get rid of them.

Occupation
    Harry is right on. “Universal” or “one size fits all” will not meet the requirements in the US. It’s gotta be original, as manufactured, right down to the screws and pads. You also want to avoid riveting the side shields to the temples.

In order to service industrial accounts you have to take these issues into consideration. If you provide an employee with safety eyewear you will probably be legally actionable for the life of glasses.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    You also want to avoid riveting the side shields to the temples.
    Why is that? We have several accounts who require permanently attached side shields so our safety lab rivets them. Is this a case of different regulations in US vs. Canada?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Ory View Post
    Why is that? We have several accounts who require permanently attached side shields so our safety lab rivets them. Is this a case of different regulations in US vs. Canada?
    If I'm not mistaken, in the US, the side shields have to come from the manufacturer with the side shields already riveted on (not allowed to be done after the fact). Also, my understanding is: you shouldn't remove them for the patient, either (example: "I don't work for that company anymore and just want to use these for personal - can you remove the sideshields?")

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

side shields

PAKEV, the moment you sell them those universal side shields, you automatically become part of the problem, what you did orginally does not matter. H.R. Schwartz L.L.C. will be elated to visit your office with some paperwork.

Occupation
    If you think that OSHA is a small town in Wisconsin you are on fertile ground to receive a lesson in civics. OSHA fines first and asks questions later. After they get done with you H.R. Schwartz will pick over what’s left.

This ain't about what the customer (employer) wants, it’s about what OSHA says. When you get into the realm of PPE you, in effect, partner with the employer. So, if there is ever a problem you will be in a position of responsibility and, therefore, liable for legal action – not only from the injured party but the employer, eyewear vendor OSHA, Workman’s Compensation carrier, and Elliot Ness and the Untouchables. That being said, you had better have all of your ducks in a neat orderly row and know what you are doing.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Blue Jumper Canada has more liberal regulations....................

Quote Originally Posted by Ory View Post
    this a case of different regulations in US vs. Canada?
    Canadahas much more liberal regulations in this field that are closer to the European way to work optics than the USA

Occupation
    All the safety eyewear we provide to them are dispensed with the appropriate manufacturers sideshields at the time of dispensing. ............I'm not in the side shield business and can't find it profitable to stock and sell $3 side shields for perhaps a few pennies of profit margin. Therefore, my intent is to inquire about a resource which the account may use directly.
    I can't MAKE them stock and use the manufacturers replacement sideshields. However, to fulfill my responsibility I will probably continue to inform their employees that their safety eyewear should be serviced (including sideshield replacement) by a competent professional at our shop. If they decide to be non compliant with my recommendations, they can do all the explaining to OSHA and Schwartz.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I can't MAKE them stock and use the manufacturers replacement sideshields. However, to fulfill my responsibility I will probably continue to inform their employees that their safety eyewear should be serviced (including sideshield replacement) by a competent professional at our shop. If they decide to be non compliant with my recommendations, they can do all the explaining to OSHA and Schwartz.
    You'd better have very good documentation that you have made them aware of what it take to be compliant.

The really scary part of all this is that you started this thread by asking where you could buy "universal" shields. If they decide to be non-compliant, and then you sell the means to do so, you are asking, begging, and pleading, for TROUBLE.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I think the really scary part is that if there is an injury, this thread may be used as evidence against you.

Occupation
    Woa..........:finger:

I'm not the Anti-Christ! :angry:

Bad address email on file jherman's Avatar
    Occupation

Have their buyer purchase and install them

Hey Muskie Man

Maybe have their safety department do all the work, and explain why.
    You could hook them up with Johns and be done with it.
    Looks like the perfect solution has become a PITA to me.

tight lines

Woa..........:finger:

I'm not the Anti-Christ! :angry:

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I can't MAKE them stock and use the manufacturers replacement sideshields.
    No you can't make them do anything, but you can inform them that by using non conforming safety shields (or side shields on non safety frames) that their employees are not using approved safety eyewear, which aside from the OSHA implications, may have insurance ramifications for the company as well. Companies go to great lengths to avoid safety and liability issues, and once you make them very aware of the liabilities they may face, they shouldn't want universal side shields anyway. They probably aren't aware there is an issue, and if you direct them to a method of obtaining these sideshields, they really won't know they are doing something that is possibly not in their best interests.

Besides, charge more than $3 if they lose them. You don't need to give them away.

AA

AA

Thread Information