Thread: Ensure I get Transitions at LC - best way to check?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Ensure I get Transitions at LC - best way to check?

Just placed an order for a frame with Photochromic lenses and during the purchase, I used the word Transitions but didn't really harp on it.

On my receipt it says:
    005000123 Lenses Photo Poly (Poly), Single Vision
    0006267835 Tint FEA PHOTO

Before discount/insurance they cost like $300! I called the sales guy up just now and asked him whether these were Transitions and he said that the "FEA PHOTO" stands for FeatherWates Photo which are Transition lenses.

After reading some threads on here I was wondering when I pick up the glasses in about 1 1/2 weeks how to make sure they are the real deal.

I don't know anybody with Transition lenses and these are my very first photochromic lenses.

Any help would be appreciated. Ideally, someone who has the same things on their receipt and got real Transition lenses would be super.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Why wait over a week? Call up the store and speak to a manager or supervisor. Tell him or her that you want to make sure the lenses you ordered are Transitions brand and not from another manufacturer. Tell them you would like to see the box tops that they stapled to your order. It's not a request that's made every day, but it's not to much to ask in my opinion. The box tops should have the Transitions logo.

If on the other hand they respond that the lenses they ordered for you are a different brand, ask them to order Transitions instead.

How can you be 100% certain? Well, unless they're progressive lenses you really can't. By asking specifically for what you want though, you ensure that you are either getting what you want or they are intentionally deceiving you. I certainly hope the latter is not the case!
    Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear brighter before you hear them speak.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why go to L.C.? Because they have the best advertizing?

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

FW are Not Transitions

mobilehavoc,
    LC does not offer Transitions Lens premium products that are readily available from other eyecare practices.

If they do follow your request and deliver a Transitions product, it is a special order and a cost will be added.

LC does carry a product called Colors by Transitions, these are SFSV polycarbonate clear to purple, clear to teal and clear to blue lenses. This was a project that LC funded to develop an LC exclusive product that was clear but had a light tint in these colors when worn outdoors. From what I understand, that 2 or 3 exclusive is over.

As Blake said, insist the LC manager prove they are Transitions. One way is to make them produce a Certificate of Authenticity. Otherwise, I would take a refund and look for a nearby practice that does offer and can verify the product is what you ordered.

Thanks for posting,
    Jim
    Jim Schafer
    Retired From PPG Industries/
    Transitions Optical, Inc.

When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say even less.
    Paul Brown

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Worn 'em for years

Go to Dr Barnes Eyemart Express, VISIONMART, VISION4LESS, any chain that starts with Dr. Barnes name carries the real thing.
    The SV and FT 28 cr are in boxes that are gray, the progressive Naturals cr are blue and the poly naturals are hot pink. They all say Transitions all over them. They do have to break in or just seem to perform better after a couple of weeks. It probably takes the eye that much time to adapt to a new Rx and notice the eye relief from bright light. The store I work in has two walls completely glass and the other two walls are covered in mirrors. It couldn't be brighter if it was a greenhouse. I have worn only transitions for over 7 years now. I got a pair of the new Life Rx Illumina poly and put them in a drill mount frame. I still prefer the longer corridor offered by the Naturals. Yes the lenses will get to the point they do not react with the sun like they used to. By the time this has occurred you are late in scheduling your yearly eye exam.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

LC and transitions - and other products

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schafer View Post
    mobilehavoc,
    LC does not offer Transitions Lens premium products that are readily available from other eyecare practices.
    Thanks for posting,
    Jim
    I am not sure where you are getting this information from - because it is totally wrong - !! - and I really don't understand - why it is stated "lc does not offer these products - " and then the next line is that they order them - ? I used to work for LC - and now a PRIV. OD - and 99 % of the time- even non chains need to order products - ( actually more so then the retail chains " so why is it phrased that ordering things is a bad thing ?

I can assure you that the " PHOTO POLY " option showing on your paperwork - is referring to authentic TRANSITIONS -

and that the "REACTINT" name referrs to the "LIFE RX" photocromics from VE-

I have heard many times - misinformation about what LC can get - and sometimes actually has a few on their shelfs -

This claim about transitions - not being produced at lc - is one of them - along with the one i hear over and over - saying -

LC CAN NOT GET VARILUX PRODUCTS - since this is far from the truth as well -
    I suggest that if you are wearing a PAL - AND not sure if you got transitions - you just ask what design of PAL you are in - since the only PAL's using the "LIFE RX - or reactint " photocromic designs would be those from VE - such as the Illumna - and IF you where fit with a Varilux product in either plastic - poly - or 1.67 and you have a photocromic - you can rest assured that they are AUTH. Transitions - (( and FYI - all materials 1.67- cr39- poly - ) are all sold at LC - in the comfort - panamic - and ellispe designs - ( the only products not being carried with them would be the physio - ( however i am not saying that the store you are going to MAY BE USING AN OUTSIDE lab that they can order the physio from - (( some stores do have accounts set up with non lc appoved labs ) -

if you are in a lined bifocal - you can be confident - that if it is made from any other material other then cr39- and if it is made in POLY -that it is not TRANSITIONS and that it is the LIFE RX photcromic brand - since transitions does not make a poly ft photcromic lens -

and as for the SV option - a good rule of thumb is - if they charged you for reactint - that you did nto get the transition name brand - and if they charged you for photo poly - photo plactic - or photo 1.67 you did in deed get the REAL THING !!

as for LC's reasoning - I kinda agree - about not paying for the name - if you are happy with the alternatives - Don't get me wrong - i like the trans. V myself - but if a pt does not care - about waiting a few days - i will get them almost anything - they wish - and of coarse there is a price that comes along with that - but for the most part - everything that is out there - used today - is transitions - not these other photocromics - and i think it just rubbed the transition company the wrong way when a more profittable lens was decided upon - to market in their stores - and like i said before the majority of the photcromics out there are transitions - except a few here and there - i don't think anyone has to worry -

and other ?'s pls feel free to email - but it sometimes gets under my skin when blanket comments are put out there - saying LC can not get this or that - when in fact - maybe the store you went to - either does not know how to get them - ( ie GT2 or 1.67 ellsipe transiitons ) - or does not want to order them for some crazy reason -

b
    Last edited by bt5050; 04-09-2007 at 11:21 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schafer View Post
    mobilehavoc,
    As Blake said, insist the LC manager prove they are Transitions. One way is to make them produce a Certificate of Authenticity. Otherwise, I would take a refund and look for a nearby practice that does offer and can verify the product is what you ordered.
    Thanks for posting,
    Jim
    I would suggest that you don't go in there - with a misson that they ripped you off - i am sure they will explain and SHOW YOU THE ACTUAL BOX TOPS THEY USED - WITH OUT ANY ISSUES -

AS FOR THE CERT. OF AUTHENTICITY - I DON'T GIVE THESE MUCH BACK BONE - SINCE I HAVE HAD ISSUE WITH ORDERING PRODUCT MYSELF - AND REC. A CERT. - WHICH IS JUST A PC OF PAPER - WHICH REALLY MEANS NOTHING - SINCE THE MAJORITY OF LABS - JUST HAS STACKS OF THESE - FOR TRANS. VAILUX - CRIZAL ALIZE ECT - AND IN THE END - I WOULD SUGGEST TAKING THEIR WORD - OR EXPLANATION OVER A PC OF PAPER - THAT THEY CAN JUST THROW AT YOU -

WHAT TYPE OF LENS - DO YOU WEAR - SV- ? FLAT TOP BIFOCAL ? ( WHICH IS NOT AVAL IN TRANSITION - FYI ) OR PROGRESSIVE -

if you state - you got illumina - i would say - no you did not get transisiton - but anything else - i imagine you did - if they had to order them - or is a pal - only aval with transitions -

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This thread is 8 months old. The problem is probably solved by now. BTW, all caps is shouting in the ether-world. We can hear you just fine!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Judy Sorry

HI JUDY -

I THINK YOU WILL LAUGH - my caps key is broke off and is stuck - and i need to hold my shift - to make the lower case come out --drives me nuts - typing with one finger--- like this LOL

SORRY FOR THAT - I GOT THIS AS A NEW POSTING - ???

ILL HOLD OFF TILL I GET MY NEW MACBOOK - TO POST AGAIN _ SINCE I TOO GET CRAZEY WITH CAPPS _

SORRY AGAIN !!!
    B

Seeker of perpetual knowledge specs4you's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Dear Cap-phobics.....I say with love that I have vision troubles...and all caps is a blessing to my eyes. I appreciate all caps. Cap on, in my world.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Based one what bt5050 said, it is true that I do not have transtions lens beause it does not say photo poly?

On my receipt it siad

0050000123 Lens Reactint (poly), Single Vision
    0006278717 Tint FEA Reactint
    0005844931 Coating Invisibles SV

are these Transitions?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you are a consumer, masquerading as an Optician...you've been busted. Please read the posting guidelines and stick to non-optical topics in the "Just Conversation" forum. We can't, shouldn't and won't help you here. You should be dealing with your ECP(Eye Care Professional) if you have questions or concerns.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just wanted to let you know that whenever I order transitions lenses from Pech Optical, they send an ownership card for the patient so that they can be sure they are a transitions product. I would do exactly what someone else said...call the manager and tell them they need to be transitions and not some other knock-off. Gary

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Old thread alert!

Thread Information