Thread: Pinnacle PALs

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Question Pinnacle PALs

I have worn glasses and/or contacts for 36+ years. I gave up contacts several years ago due to dry eye and expense. Now I finally have crossed over into "benefiting from a reading edge" and am considering PAL. My current lenses are SV Nikon that have superbly resisted scratching. I am interested in similar (or better) lenses that will hold up well to wear, allow me good peripheral vision, and have the reading edge. My gov't. insurance covers next to nothing, esp. in terms of providers covered. The main one only sells Pinnacle. I've searched this forum but can't find any mention of them. Is it because they are that bad? I am also considering staying with SV and taking off glasses when I need to see small things, though it can be aggravating. I don't have my script avail. right now - sorry.

BTW, the Shamir sounds great but the closest dealer is an hour a way. Price is probably too high as well. If I can't get good glasses with my insurance, I'll get the cheap ones for back ups and pay out of pocket for good vision (always have). I just need some guidance on what makes sense. I had an optometrist (my children still see him) who became too arrogant for me to want to pay for (and missed contact lens damage to my dry eyes), so now I am subject to whoever is covered by my poor insur. plan. Thanks!

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just guessing here because there is a Pinnacle lab but Pinnacle may be the house brand of progressive that your optician uses.

As far as what brand is best for you, the only way to judge is by talking to an optician and let them find out what your visual needs are, see your prescription is in person, see how the frame you have fits on your face and see how well that frame will work with various progressives. Progressives involve too many variables for us to give you advice sight unseen.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Pinnacle PALs

Yes, I think it is the house brand. The place is Empire Vision (aka Davis Vision) that is selling them and is one of only two places I can use my insur. I don't expect much in terms of the advising one would hope for from an optician since they only carry the one brand. I may have to go back to the place I no longer like (or trust) to get any choices. - Thanks.

Thread Information