Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drill mount breakage

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    There are NO Polycarbonate lenses on the market that are not hard coated, and if a blank is surfaced it has to be hard coated on the backside. Poly is so soft that you can scratch it with your finger nail if it is not protected.
    There are if the place surfacing them do not hard coat them.
    They should be gard coated, agreed, but I have had uncoated lenses in the past. Needless to say I didn't order again.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Drillseal is used in the holes and not on edges.
    Chris, can you tell me further about the Drillseal? Thanks.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Drillseal.....................

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Jong View Post
    Chris, can you tell me further about the Drillseal? Thanks.
    Samuel Jong...............as stated before, the product seals the microscopic rips and cracks that occur when drilling by dissolving and fusing them back together.

Therefore these cracks will not continue to extend when pressure is applied to these spots by the consumers actions.

For the cost of $ 9.50 for a 30ml bottle including dropper (nose drop style) you can seal a few hundred holes at one drop each.

Look it up at.......................... http://optochemicals.com
    scroll down the main page until you get to drillseal and click on the link

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Drillseal

Thanks Chris.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    The Briot easy lens drill is based on machining table calibers. Which are manual and do not have the fancy electronic read out (thus cost less). I have used the hilco drill and it is straight forward to use. It has adjustments for x and y movement. The lens can also be angled for drilling parallel to optical center, perpendicular to point of impact and any were in between. Also you don't have to unblock the lens because the lens hold downs can be changed to match your blocking system.

The Smart Drill is basically a fancier version of the Briot drill with electronic read outs.

The hilco is less accurate then the above drills but to an experienced optician it is a good drill setup. The hilco drill is less accurate because the measurements are eyeballed along the scale. The adjustments for lens angle are not as easy as the above drill. But it is alot nicer then a stand alone dremel.

If you are use to doing drill jobs by hand the hilco drill is a nice upgrade. If you are just getting into drill mounts then start with the Briot easy lens drill or smart drill.
    When doing drill mounts pay attention to the amount of time you spend doing them compared to time you could spend with patients selling. If you have an older edger (patterned especially) it might just pay to upgrade to an edger that drills, saving you a lot of time

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by JA OPTRONIC View Post
    If you are use to doing drill jobs by hand the hilco drill is a nice upgrade. If you are just getting into drill mounts then start with the Briot easy lens drill or smart drill.

When doing drill mounts pay attention to the amount of time you spend doing them compared to time you could spend with patients selling. If you have an older edger (patterned especially) it might just pay to upgrade to an edger that drills, saving you a lot of time
    Believe it or not, we're using a pattern Horizon II edger still. We've got patterns for every drill mount frame we sell and can basically throw the pattern on the edger and have it cut down to the correct size in 60 seconds per lens. I think we're going to either upgrade to a Horizon III or add the Elision Tech patternless upgrade later this year though.

I think I'll go with either the Hilco or Smart Drill setup for now. I'll let you know how it goes.

-Steve

Thread Information