Thread: computer/reading glasses...2 range progressives??

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

computer/reading glasses...2 range progressives??

I believe I've seen people on this board mention task glasses (computer and reading) that are 2-range progressives. They don't have the distance part.

I have Varilux panemic progressives (see my other posts on this board) and have a terrible time with reading. Very narrow reading area. Very narrow when looking at computer screen, too. So I'm thinking either bifocal or progressives for computer/reading.

My eyes are basically +1 for distance, very tiny bit of astigmatism, and then +1.75 in the reading area. I use 2.75 cheaters for reading. Doctor wrote my prescription for these task glasses as +1.75 for the mid/ and +1 for reading.

If I am correct that there are 2-range progressives, are they just like these progressives I already have, minus the distance? With very narrow fields of vision? Or do they have wider fields of vision?

I asked the eye doctor and he didn't know. He said to ask an optician. So, that's you guys!!

If I got a bifocal instead, would they put the line right down the center? So about half would be for computer and half for reading? In bifocals, can you see all the way from one side of the glasses to the other without turning your head? Just like with cheaters?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by plum View Post
    I asked the eye doctor and he didn't know. He said to ask an optician. So, that's you guys!!
    Plum, please find a real live optician to ask. You have so many questions that even a barely competent optician should be able to answer. There are so many reasons that we could steer you wrong, while part of what you are paying for when buying glasses is this information.

If you can't find someone who can answer these questions where you buy your glasses then look somewhere else.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    The reason I am asking on this board is because this seems to be a group of opticians who "know their stuff." Who seem to care enough about learning new things that you all ask each other questions.

I asked about the computer progressives at LC and she had no idea. I stopped at Costco on the way home because my friend was happy with his glasses he purchased there. They weren't busy at all, so the optician and I chatted about 20 minutes. She seemed pretty knowledgeable, but did not know about computer progressives. She said they had bifocals for $59.99 and the computer glasses for $69.99, and regular progressives for $99.99. That's about all she knew. She said several customers had ordered the computer glasses and were very happy. She didn't know any specifics about the glasses at all.

So I did ask two opticians and learned zero.

I figured somebody on this board would have experience with computer glasses and could give me the information without me having to get in the car and run all over town trying to find an optician who did know.

I spend a lot of time on the computer, and when I don't know something, I research it. And I find out a lot of information on chat boards like this one. The more I find out about a subject, the better armed and informed I am when I go out to purchase it. And by asking here, I can learn the opinions of 15 different good opticians rather than just the opinion of one person.

So I'm hoping somebody here will have experience with fitting a "high plus add for reading" person into computer glasses. Or if you'd recommend going with bifocals. And more specifically, if anybody here has eyes similar to mine who actually uses these yourself.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper *Snark*

Going to LC and asking for special lenses is like going to McDonalds and asking for a real steak. LC sells two progressives: Theirs and an old brand name one. There are hundreds on the market, so obviously they don't have access to everything available.
    Yes, they make 2 zone progressives. They are like a progressive in that they have more than one Rx in the lens, but no line. Unlike a progressive, though, they provide a wider field of vision in both zones. Fewer powers in lens = less distortion. My favorite available is called the Office.
    So there's a little info for you.
    But PLEASE PLEASE!!! go to a REAL Optician! Costco, LC, Walmart, BJs all those places have fewer products, lower quality, and frequently you work with a 'retail associate' type person with no knowledge other than what they absorbed from two days video training. They are like the McDonalds of optical. You're talking about your vision, for pete's sake! If you needed a pacemaker, would you buy the discount brand or the name brand? Duh, the name brand. People need to realize that eyeglasses are a medical device and are best made by people with a license to do so.

*No offense meant to employees of optical chains. But after my experience working with complete fools at one of them, I must say it's not worth saving a few bucks. In my opinion.

OptiBoard Novice
    The Office lens by Shamir is a great choice for your situation. It is designed differently than a regular progressive, giving you a wider field of vision in both the intermediate and near sections. The distance viewing top part of the lens is generally +0.25 or +0.50 more than your normal distance RX. The lens is ordered with your normal RX, and the lab will customize the prescription.
    The lenses will not be adequate for driving or distance viewing, but anything within 10 feet will be clear, and reading and computer will be much more comfortable.
    Be sure to get an AR coating with the lenses.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Another option would be the Varilux Liberty - marketed as an alternative for bifocal patients because it gives the wearer instant add. I have used this lens often as a computer lens with great success. It gives you a wide area for your intermediate rx on the top and a wide area for your near rx on the bottom.

I love Shamir products but the Office lens requires a larger frame to wear and only comes in pre-determined add powers. They try to give the wearer a lens they can walk around in and therefor you are getting more distance than you need for computer glasses. I have had limited success with this lens, which I have tried on and off for 5 yrs. Other OB's have had better results.

This is why you should go to an optician who know both products and can recommend a product better suited for your particular needs...

Thread Information