Thread: Flash mirror coat to hide eyes....

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Flash mirror coat to hide eyes....

Hi all, many many thanks for all the replies and advice about putting a mirror on a high plus lens, (I'm the lady who had the car accident covered in scars) you all gave me some excellent advice, I have made numerous phone calls, and have come up with (thanks to your help) a few companies that have said they would even consider doing a mirror on a 1.74!! but may go through a few lenses, what I'm having trouble understanding is would the mirror totally hide my eyes? and what would be the best for true colour perception and to hide my eyes.. One optician said a silver mirror over a clear lens would completely hide my eyes and give me true colour perception, another said it would only add a frosting and that my eyes would still be visible but that I would have true colour perception, another one today told me you have to have a dark tint to hide your eyes under the mirror, and that you would see the colour of the dark tint, in other words it would be like looking through sunglasses? I've also been told if I have a green tint it would give me the best colour perception and hide my eyes? its all a bit conflicting and confusing so I would love to hear what you all think or what experiences you have had with tints and mirrors and any advice on what I should go for tint and mirror wise to completely hide my eyes and allow a truer colour perception.. as I am badly scarred, I am trying to keep my trips to the opticians and out at the minimum as I find the whole experience very humiliating, although all opticians have been friendly and helpful over the phone, I would just like to have a little bit more information before I pluck up the courage to go order my specs... many many thanks to all of you once again for the reply to my previous post...(its all a bit confusing.. mirrors and tints ) if anybody has any other advice on how to hide my eyes without putting a paper bag over my head *LOL* it would be gretly appreciated... thanks again.. Debs..

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper advice on what I should go for tint ...............

Quote Originally Posted by Deb1974 View Post
    ........ if anybody has any other advice on how to hide my eyes without putting a paper bag over my head *LOL* it would be gretly appreciated..................
    Your problem is not such a huge problem when thinking logiocally.

You want to hide your eyes with a mirrored lens. That is the same as a one way mirror. You look out but nobody can look in.

Get yourself a clear mirror lens which can have a slightly greyish appearance when looking through with a silver colored mirror and that should be no problem.

If you want sunglasses get the lenses tinted anyway you want brown, green, red or whatever you want and get them also with a mirror.

Dont worry about color perception you will get used to whatever you purchase.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As far as the varying answers regarding visibility, just like tints, mirror coatings can be applied very lightly or very heavily. Now, obviously, the heavier the coat, the more light is reflected. The more light reflected, the less visible your eyes, but you're also limiting the light you'll have to see. (You always get better visual accuity with brighter light). I would sit with an optician and look at samples, etc. Check out the warranty if it comes back different than you wanted.
    I'm wearing 1.74, btw, and I love them! I'm blind as a bat (-6) and these look like demo lenses! (granted my lens size is fairly small) I love the vision through them.

Thread Information