Thread: Task specific glasses - computer and reading

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Task specific glasses - computer and reading

If you get task specific glasses for just mid-range vision (computer) and reading, would that be a lined bifocal? If so, would you get regular size glasses and just the bottom part would be for reading? Or would you get slightly smaller ones so you could peek over the top for distance?

I'm curious about lined and no-line bifocals. I did a computer search, and no-line bifocals brought up progressives. Is there an actual no-line bifocal that has two distinct areas (as opposed to progressives)? Just like a lined bifocal? And if so, what is the difference? Is it just that people looking at you don't see the line, or is there a difference in vision for the person wearing the glasses?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You can get task specific glasses in virtually any configuration you want. Yes you can have the top of the glasses for the computer and the bottom for close up in a lined bifocal, progressive, or, as you asked, a "blended" bifocal which is like a lined bifocal but the line is removed. (not very popular.) A computer specific pair of progressives is usually the best, such as a ziess "room distance" lens, but lined bifocals are usually very effective for computer use. In the case of the blended bifocal you are curious about, there is a fairly large distorted area around where the line is blended into the lens, hence the minimal use of this lens. There are so many questions we would have about your use of these lenses, and so many ways to configure them, you should discuss your needs with a good optician who has a lot of experience in task-specific glasses. I suspect my colleagues on this board will have more to say. Good luck

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dave,

Thanks for the reply. I got a pair of progressives which weren't right and they are remaking. But I got a taste of progressives and seeing the computer and trying to read was very difficult. I'm used to "cheater" glasses. I use 1.75 for seeing the computer and 2.75 for reading. I have both at my computer desk. I mostly wear the 1.75, but when I have to look down to pay a bill or something, I put on the 2.75's. I'd like to have just one pair to do both. But I don't like the narrow viewing range with progressives. With the cheaters, I like the fact that you can see everything at a certain distance (like 2' wide) without having to turn your head. That's why I was thinking about the bifocals.

I'm assuming the progressive computer/reading glasses would still have a restricted viewing width??

I wasn't familiar with the difference between line and no-line. Thanks for explaining it. I don't think I'd like a blurry spot; so the lined ones sound good.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    See "PC Peekers" an inexpensive ($25.00) solution to your problem, leaves your reading and astigmatism correction unchanged but focuses just right at the computer.

Chip

O.K. I ready for the hate mail that tells me I am talking someone out of a sale for an extra pair of glasses or two.

Chip

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Chip,

I looked around this board and at the link you provided.

Do these pc peekers go on bifocals that are for distance and reading (where you have no intermediate range)? And the pc peekers slip over the distance part and give you some intermediate range?

If so, when wearing them, can you NOT see distance?

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    PC Peekers slip behind your present glasses, cover only top 1/2 of glasses, changing focus by +1.12 which brings computer distance into focus, does not cover the bottom (reading portion) of glasses so this remains unchanged. Astigmatism correction in both top and bottom portion of glasses is corrected by the spectacles you slip them behind. You need to take them off when you leave the computer as they make distances over about 12 feet quite fuzzy.

Chip

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Plum, on your other post you say LC is remaking your glasses because the PD is off so give the new glasses a chance. If the PD is off they will work very poorly.

No line bifocal is a layman's term for progressive lenses. Progressives are completely different then bifocals. A bifocal has two areas and a progressive has a corridor down the middle of the lens where the power changes gradually. They have a somewhat hour glass shape where the useful powers are.

There is a lens called a blended bifocal that has a round top (not a flat top like a standard bifocal) where the edge between the the near and distance is blended. That is the lens Dave Nelson is talking about. It isn't used much.

Since the intermediate area of progressives is not huge many people like to have a separate pair of computer/desk glasses. Another reason people need special computer glasses is most people have their computer screens at eye level which makes you tilt your head back with standard progressives.

There is several ways to do this. You can do it in a regualar flat top bifocal or a special type of progressive designed just for close. There are many good choice as most lens makers make one. The top is computer distance or a little more depending on the design and your prescription. The bottom is near. There is no line and the areas are much larger then in a regular progressive. However they are not suitable for driving or for far distance.

What I suggest is that you try your new glasses when you get them for a couple of weeks. Make sure they are adjusted properly; that is very important with progressives. You very well might find you want a second pair for when you work on the computer.

The PC Peepers that Chip mentioned also works well and is easy to use. It looks a little different, but if money is a concern it can't be beat.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    LC got the re-made Panamics in today, so I went down and got them. I hate to report, but they are no better for reading than the first ones. I still have only a very narrow reading area. I got out a ruler and measured, and 2.5" is it.

I was very impressed by the optician I talked to. The manager had suggested I talk to her. She remeasured my PD and said the original person had gotten it a little wrong. And the glasses were off from the PD that was written. So I got a double-dose of incorrect PD. She remeasured and had the best technician (supposedly) cut the lenses, but the reading area is the same.

One good thing was that she put me in a larger (taller) lens. She said the first one measured 27 tall and you really need 28 for this lens. We found some glasses I liked that were 33 tall, so that was good.

With the first pair, when I looked at distance to drive, I had to tilt my head slightly down. It was a little uncomfortable feeling like I was looking up. With these, I can look straight ahead and see distance, so my neck is comfortable. On the down side, when I look at somebody 4' away, I have to tip my head way up!! I guess it's just give and take. You can't look straight ahead and see distance AND look at somebody straight ahead who is 4' away and see them both clearly. Oh, well, most of my friends look better a little blurry anyway.

And as for trying to read a book with these... I'd rather eat a plate of liver... raw! Trying to concentrate on that tiny pinhole dot of clear words makes me not even comprehend what I'm reading.

She said to try to wear them continually for 10 days to adapt. But I don't see how I can use these on the computer (which I am on about 8-10 hours a day). I think I'm reading part of the words in the clear area, and just straining my eyes reading a bunch of blurry ones, and that doesn't seem like it would be good for your eyes.

I've been wearing the new glasses while typing this, and my eyes hurt!! And my head is beginning to.

I am not having a problem with these driving or walking. I've even figured out going down stairs (hang on to the bannister!). The feeling of having "tunnel vision" right in front of me doesn't bother me (much). Or even maneuvering around the grocery store or my kitchen. I love seeing distance clearly and I've gotten the hang of "pointing your nose." And in the kitchen, it's nice to look out the window AND look down and see the dishes. The only thing that is bothering me is looking at words.

The optician said that my prescription has about the smallest amount of astigmatism correction that you could write. So using the drugstore 1.75's for the computer would be fine. And using the 2.75's for reading would be fine.

But I'm wondering if using the reading glasses while on the computer 8 hours a day is going to "screw up" my adapting to the progressives??

I REALLY want to make the progressives work. The optician said that if I go into a bifocal, I probably won't ever go into a progressive. And the worse my eyes get, then I'd have to do a trifocal. It seems that looking through a trifocal would be more annoying than progressives.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The reason the optician told you that if you tried bifocals (or trifocals) you probably wouldn't ever go to progressives is: "Once you find out what it's like to really see clearly you probably won't accept the narrow vision and distortion of progressives. Does this tell you something? Is poorer vision something you would accept so that you can think people won't notice you are over 40?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper report, but they are no better for reading than the first ones

Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Is poorer vision something you would accept so that you can think people won't notice you are over 40?
    Besides that with a lined bifocal and a very large reading segment you get a wide crispy clear near vision and when looking at distance you have NO distortion.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It is impossible to know on the internet what might be wrong with your new glasses if anything. Two things pop out at me, though. You are using a +2.75 for reading which tells me you have a fairly high add and need a fair amount of plus to see up close. The more plus the rx and the higher the add the narrower the reading area will be in a progressive.

Also you wore just reading glasses before. Plain reading glasses, while they blur the distance, gives you a very wide reading area. No progressive will give you anywhere near the width you are used to.

You said on another thread you looked through your friend's progressives and they seemed wider. It could be the type of progressive to some degree, but it also could be the difference in the prescription.

Talk to your optician about wearing your +1.75 reading glasses on the computer. Wearing a different pair of glasses on the computer is okay in most cases while getting adjusted to progressives. You need to understand it is much harder to get used to progressives when you have a higher add then if you at started with them 10 years ago. Wear your progressives as much as you can when not using the computer.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    I have been wearing the drugstore reading glasses for many years. Never appreciated them until now!!

Yes, the optician said that I have very little astigmatism correction and that the 1.75's for the computer are fine. Also the 2.75 for reading.

Somebody here mentioned the distortion in the distance in progressives. I'm not noticing that. I love the distance area. And I seem to have quite a wide area (and tall) of distance vision. When I'm driving it's great, and I can see the dashboard clearly. Maybe these are called Panamic because they are supposed to give you a "panoramic view" at distance. Too bad they have to narrow down to so tiny an area for reading.

I am considering getting computer glasses. I know I can get lined bifocals. I'd get 1.75 in the top and 2.75 in the bottom. Probably buy a frame that wasn't very tall so that I could slide these down my nose and still look over them at distance.

I wanted to know about the progressive lenses that have only two areas. Do those give a very wide reading area, or do you just have a narrow mid-range and narrow reading? That wouldn't help me much. I want to SEE these words! It would be very nice not to have a line in my vision, but the whole point is to get a wide reading area. Also, progressives are supposed to be worn close to your face. Can you wear a pair of progressive computer glasses slightly down on your nose so you can peek over? Or do they have to be close to your face?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    It is impossible to know on the internet what might be wrong with your new glasses if anything. Two things pop out at me, though. You are using a +2.75 for reading which tells me you have a fairly high add and need a fair amount of plus to see up close. The more plus the rx and the higher the add the narrower the reading area will be in a progressive.
    What if the rx is +0.75 -.25 with a +2.00 add? A +1.00 over the distance would be just right for the computer, and the add power isn't so high that it would dramatically reduce the near and intermediate areas.

I have heard (from Essilor reps) that the Panamic is not a great lens for hyperopes in general, which it appears, unless plum is a low-power myope with a +3.00 or higher add, is. I don't like PALs in low-power hyperopes anyway - in most cases you're just asking for a nonadapt. If the distance correction is as minimal as I think it is, in cases like this you're best off with just an occupational lens.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    hotsauce,

my prescription is

distant: right +1.00 +0.25 15 (axis)
    left +0.75 +0.25 165

reading +1.75 for both eyes

I found one thread on the board where people were talking about progressives that were good for people who needed high reading power. But it referred to another post that I never could find, in which they discussed the different brands that they felt were best. Wish I could find that thread.

One man who used to work at LC said that he felt their Ovations probably have a wider reading area than Panamic. When I asked the optician at LC, she didn't really know. But she said that Panamic is what they put people in when they don't like Ovations.

But I can see that it would make a real difference what your prescription is. And whether you are nearsighted or farsighted. My husband's eyes are opposite of mine. He can't see distance well at all. But he can read without glasses. So he has no problem with the reading area in his new Panamics. There's probably barely any correction down there.

I guess there isn't a "one size fits all distances" glasses when you need high reading power. But paying this much for glasses, I kind of wanted to get away from having to put on the 1.75 when on the computer and 2.75 when reading. If the reading area in these glasses could give me 4-5" wide clearly, I would be happy as a clam.

I find it interesting to see all the different opinions expressed on this board by different opticians. Two weeks ago, I knew nothing about glasses. Thought you got a prescription, had it filled, and went on your merry way. I feel like a much more knowledgeable consumer and thank you all for the information. Now if I could just read ....

Thread Information