Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transitions? Worth it or Not?

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Transitions? Worth it or Not?

I hope they don't hide this thread. Transitions are a sponser here. Are transitions worth the $$$ or not. For people that have unlimited $$$. I'd say get transitions AND polorized. If it was my $$ I'd say get a clear pair and a polorized pair. You will not have any regrets. Transitions are just not good for sunglasses.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Transitions are a great add on to a normal pair but will not replace a pair of sunglasses.

I know many people who do a lot of outdoor activities that just love transitions.

Occupation
    I agree. For some people they serve just fine and they don't feel the need for an additional pair of sunglasses. For others there is no way the Trans is dark enough and they will be back unhappy. Of course, the ones who pay attention to the propaganda (read:P.O.P. materials) tend to be the most unhappy. Whoops! Did I type that out loud?:shiner:

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have many happy transitions patients. Of course we also tell them from the get go that they will not darken in a car.. and react in cold better than hot. But we make sure to set the expectations up front.

Some people don't want to keep track of a second pair of glasses. For these people I recommend Transitions and a clip. The clip to stay in the car, and letting transitions take care of the rest.

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I'm very curious what you guys do in such a situation. If someone comes in with the intention of buying transitions, especially based on any adverts or promotional materials, do you still ask them about their needs, tell them that the glasses probably last them til the next eye exam, do not get as dark especially inside the car? or do you just go ahead and fit them thinking they know what they're getting themselves into?

For many buyers, they still think that this is meant to replace their sunglasses and are usually disappointed when it doesn't get as dark as they would like it to be or that they have a finite lifespan.

It is also quite unfortunate that it is hot and humid in the tropical areas, yet many people expected transitions to work even better... and with higher expectations come greater disappointment. I've seen better results in cooler climates too, not here.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by striker22 View Post
    I'm very curious what you guys do in such a situation. If someone comes in with the intention of buying transitions, especially based on any adverts or promotional materials, do you still ask them about their needs, tell them that the glasses probably last them til the next eye exam, do not get as dark especially inside the car? or do you just go ahead and fit them thinking they know what they're getting themselves into?

For many buyers, they still think that this is meant to replace their sunglasses and are usually disappointed when it doesn't get as dark as they would like it to be or that they have a finite lifespan.

It is also quite unfortunate that it is hot and humid in the tropical areas, yet many people expected transitions to work even better... and with higher expectations come greater disappointment. I've seen better results in cooler climates too, not here.

I have been pretty happy with the darkness of transitions. I have never gotten a complaint about that since NG and V entered the market. Sure I live in a cooler climate, but in the summer it gets just as hot here as anywhere else.

The only thing I mention is that it does not change in the vehicle. Sure we can argue that it changes to 20 or 30 percent, but we know that does not matter to the patient. I will also tell you that if it could change in the vehicle you would see a generous increase in the product.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Stone View Post
    I hope they don't hide this thread. Transitions are a sponser here. Are transitions worth the $$$ or not. For people that have unlimited $$$. I'd say get transitions AND polorized. If it was my $$ I'd say get a clear pair and a polorized pair. You will not have any regrets. Transitions are just not good for sunglasses.
    I think you are pretty much quoting what Jim Schafer told you in the Transitions forum. Your thread title leads me to wonder what you are trying to accomplish here. You have posted other threads of this nature and I'm just a naturally curious codger. What is your agenda?

PS We do not hide threads simply because they offer a different view. We do, however, eliminate threads and posts which violate posting guidelines, which, if you haven't heeded the warning in the Transitions forum, with which you would do well to familiarize yourself.
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have talked patients out of transitions when they really believe they will be getting a pair of sunglasses. In this area, where so many people commute to work (me...I drive 45 minutes each way) and a lot of people are into skiing and water sports, so we sell way more Polarized lenses than transitions. But then we get the occasional patient, like my dad, who love transitions. He is always gardening and they are perfect for him. I just ask lots of questions to make sure they will fit their needs.

Occupation
    I will tell you something too. People who wear transitions love them. I find that if you take them out and put them into a good pair of sunglasses, they will still want the transitions next time (with the sunglasses).

We know that if money were not a value most people would take transisitions, AR, and a good pair of polarized sunglasses with a backside AR. However, that is not always possible.

Even with clip on customers we have sold a lot of transitions. Then they just use the clip in their car.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life
    I will tell you something too. People who wear transitions love them. I find that if you take them out and put them into a good pair of sunglasses, they will still want the transitions next time (with the sunglasses).
    I totally agree with your post here. I love my transitions and I do have a pair of polarized suns for the car (front side cool blue mirror and backside ar). No one should be talking their clients out of transitions, but looking to fill their needs further with suns or a clip on if the transitions don't meet their needs 100%.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Banned

I returned my transitions lenses

I hated the Transitions lenses. They never got completely clear so I always looked tired, and they never got dark enough. They hardly get dark at all in warm weather, which makes them particularly useless in summer. They also don't get dark at all inside a car, making them useless for driving.

Basically, they're useless as sunglasses 75% of the time, and annoyingly grey when you're indoors.

My optician let me return exchange my Transitions lenses for regular glasses and a sunglasses.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    they are like 2 in 1 shampoo. Some people find it convenient and acceptable while others think it represents something of an unsavory compromise. I too get complains about it not being dark enough.

I don't know if it's the case in all other optical shops but some, like where I work don't allow returns or exchange for other lenses.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Here in AZ it is VERY hot and during our 'monsoon' season it is kinda humid, too.

I agree with Nettie, I try to get a little information on the patients' needs. Then, very honestly I tell them how and when they work and don't work. I always explain the benefit of controlling light but I don't leave them thinking that they are a sunglass replacement if they are light sensitive nor lead them to believe they get entirely clear.

I find that more men than women buy them, though.

Occupation

a tool for the toolbox

Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    I totally agree with your post here. I love my transitions and I do have a pair of polarized suns for the car (front side cool blue mirror and backside ar). No one should be talking their clients out of transitions, but looking to fill their needs further with suns or a clip on if the transitions don't meet their needs 100%.
    Harry couldn't have said it better - there is no sound reason for removing a feature from a patient's lenses without understanding fully what their needs are and what the feature realistically offers. Photochromics as a feature offers an additional tool which provides a function under certain conditions. Whether that function is perceived as advantageous or not depends wholly on the patient - not the optician fitting the lenses. I have just as many clients who love the lenses as do not.

My only wish is that product slogans be a little more informative and less dodgy than "Right in any light". If major drug companies can profit even after divulging their products may cause death and dismemberment (exag.) I'm sure Transitions Optical could also by being a little more forthcoming to end users. It's not like a responsible optician isn't going to talk about the limitations anyway.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by striker22 View Post
    I don't know if it's the case in all other optical shops but some, like where I work don't allow returns or exchange for other lenses.
    I'm very glad that wasn't the policy in the optical shop I went to. They were very gracious and nice about exchanging them. And in exchange for that courtesy, I will patronize them again and again, and recommend them to everyone I know. They were written up in... New York Magazine, I think it was... as the best optician in New York City.

People don't realize how much heat affects the ability of Transition lenses to darken. In very hot summer weather, they are only lightly tinted and essentially useless. What good is a pair of so-called sunglasses if they only work on cold winter days? And the rest of the time, they make you look tired and old because they don't completely lighten?

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

What do you mean by "So called sunglasses" Sharpen up your reading skills

Sheryl,
    if you re-read this thread VERY carefully you will learn that Transitions lenses are NOT sunglasses. I even think its been said more than once on this page, but if not, go to the Transitions sponsored forum and read what Jim Schafer has written. Transitions have repeatedly said they are NOT sunglasses, but lenses which adapt to changing light conditions while filtering out UV rays.When they darken its to about 80%. Enough for most people, but not behind a windshield. I cannot recall Transitions ever holding themselves out as sunglasses.
    Last edited by hcjilson; 08-09-2006 at 10:08 PM. Reason: add title
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Yes, transitions never represented these as sunglasses nor expected them to replace sunglasses but like hcjilson said, lenses which adapt to changing light conditions. Perhaps I am reading too much into the statement but it seem to quite misleadingly suggest that clear lenses do not have the capability to filter UV rays. Clear lenses can also have 100% UV protection.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    I just love transitions, and my husband does too. We both have transitions as well as clear lenses, but we never use our clear lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheryl View Post
    And the rest of the time, they make you look tired and old because they don't completely lighten?
    I actually think that the residual tint indooors makes one look hip, and maybe a good way to hide wrinkles and crow's feet. (thanks God for my asian ancestry, I don't have any wrinkles to hide yet at age 51)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson View Post
    Sheryl,
    if you re-read this thread VERY carefully you will learn that Transitions lenses are NOT sunglasses.
    I agree - they are useless as sunglasses.

So what good are they??????????????????? I see no purpose to them at all.

Occupation
    I agree - they are useless as sunglasses.

So what good are they??????????????????? I see no purpose to them at all.

First off they provide people sun protection if you are moving indoor and outdoor a lot. People who are active outside in things like running, gardening, hiking, camping, and walking. People who do not want to play around with sunglasses or clips most of the time and just keep those items in places where it gets intense. I also get a lot of school teachers/grocery store employees love them, because it helps soften the horrible floresent lighting in the places that they work.

Sheryl, I know you hated them, but I can get literally hundreds of my clients on here who would tell you that they would not go without them.

For going to the beach and driving your car sunglasses or clips are the better option. But for everything else transitions really do help.

Banned
    Do you work for Transitions?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sheryl, do you have a point here, or are you just looking for an argument? Transitions and SunSensors are both excellent products when recommended and dispensed properly. If you have specific issues about Transitions, I suggest you post them on the Transitions forum and get your information from Jim Schafer.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had Transitions about 8 years ago and despised them. Never dark enough, never light enough. But I have been impressed by the recent improvements and gave them a shot again just a couple of months ago.

While, I still don't feel that they are nearly as good as advertised, they have improved significantly and as long as the patient is properly educated against the potential drawbacks, it can be a decent upgrade.

Let me also say I have a tendency to like Brown tints/polarizations because of the increased contrast so I went with Brown Transitions for myself. I regret it. The grey is definitely darker.
    www.opticaljedi.com
    www.facebook.com/opticaljedi
    www.twitter.com/opticaljedi

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    Sheryl, do you have a point here, or are you just looking for an argument? Transitions and SunSensors are both excellent products when recommended and dispensed properly. If you have specific issues about Transitions, I suggest you post them on the Transitions forum and get your information from Jim Schafer.
    I don't need any hearsay information about Transitions. I have firsthand information - I tried them.

The first post in this thread was from someone asking how people liked Transitions. I responded. Everyone else I know who tried Transitions evaluated them as I did. My mother tried them and returned them for the same reasons I ended up returning them. I tried them, despite her warning, because my optician told me how the technology has improved. They are still lousy. I'm just trying to warn fellow consumers - especially since most opticians don't allow you to return Transitions lenses, and they cost a lot.

What is the point of glasses that are always slightly tinted indoors (making you look tired), and never dark enough outside to be of any use in protecting against sunlight? The only "value" I can see in them is the money they put in the pockets of the company that makes them and the opticians that sell them.

Occupation
    Do you work for Transitions?

No, I work for a successful little independent optical store that does probably 25 - 33 percent transitions, and usually never mentions it. Most of our transitions clients are already wearing them or come in looking for them.

I never attacked you for disliking the product, so there is no reason to attack us who give the benefits of the product.

Edit - I was just reading Judy's point and I should comment that by saying that I like Transitions and naming a specific brand name, I am not actually referring to one sole brand name. I like the photochromic product.

Thread Information