Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is Costco's warranty or guarantee on glasses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rainchild View Post
    the dog thing is a little odd..but technically they can just return them within the first 30 days...so we do it! LOL
    as the for the cataract thing...how lacking in empathy are you that you are comfortable telling a nice old man that he is just going to have to forgo seeing anything, or reading, or driving, or watching tv or whatever because his old glasses don't work for him and his new RX will only work for about 2 months because his eyes are still healing. So this poor guy on a fixed income either has to try to shell out a whack load of cash for several sets of lenses or just accept not seeing for 6 months. remeber that when you are 70 and want to see your dinner.

the average optical/independant can't afford to do these types of things but as a company that can, i think we have a moral obligation to the community to provide this kind of service.
    Things really must be different here. Several sets of lenses are generally not needed. Special circumstances do arise, however. But in those circumstances if the patient is needing a change in rx after receiving the first pair, it's up to them to pay for them. The lab doesn't redo the lenses for me for free, so why would I remake the lenses for a patient for free? That makes no sense, but like I said, cost and factors must be different now in Canada according to Chris' remark.

Plus, how can you make a set of glasses immediate post op surgery? You can't get an accurate refraction anyhow? Course, what kind of surgery are we talking about here? I guess I was referring to cataract surgery.....

Comment

I'd like to say two things.

1. It is amazing how organic these threads are it started with what is Costco's warranty and changed to an argument over what LC can and can't get and how fair they are with both customers and employees.

2. I worked in four LC stores during my time with the company 7 years ago. The company at the time definitely presented it self as a good place to work. good health care, generous time off, reciprocal arrangements with other large companies. However my last location was the third largest in the local area, had 13 year old cylinder machines that were never properly taken care of long before my two years there and had well outlived their lives. We came close to spending more rebuilding the machines than a new one would have cost. At the time assistant lab management was salary I spent several nights till two am rebuilding one or two of the machines of the four we had when none of them were functioning properly to make sure we could operate the next day. And it was a good thing I had the owners manual because I was never trained to rebuild a cylinder machine but I was still expected to do it. I just plain old burnt out with all the mandatory unpaid OT I was putting in I could have made more per hour flipping burgers. For every LC employee that has been there for 10 or more years you will find 10 ex employees that rainchild would label as disgruntled all of whom are still in the optical field and have found a location that values their knowledge, ability and individuality as much as their "numbers"

In my honest opinion LC as a company is nothing more than business plans and ideas ( ones which many of us disagree with). The thing that makes many of the individual locations bad places to have worked are the people trying to implement the ideas, General and Regional Managers who think it looks like they are doing their jobs by destroying the morale of the employees by motivating by fear instead of reward, by threatening instead of instructing.

Rainchild I am happy you have a good place to work please don't assume because of your experience that all LC are or were the same pleasant work environment and belittle my fellow disgruntled ex employees.

to everyone else at first thought I would lump Rainchild in the brainwashed drone category, but it is possible that the management in her area are supportive and truly interested in pt care. That would be a far stretch from my personal experience. but I will allow that it could be possible.

Comment

A comprehensive eye exam is medical in nature....................

Originally posted by Barry Santini View Post
        Oh my, I have to disagree. Glasses are *not* medical, nor are they a medical appliance.
        The FDA does not think so and acts different. Frames and lenses are in the device category...................but not only that............anything that goes on lenses like a coating or tint that is destined to go, or be put on lenses is under FDA jurisdiction.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Ryser View Post
          The FDA does not think so and acts different. Frames and lenses are in the device category...................but not only that............anything that goes on lenses like a coating or tint that is destined to go, or be put on lenses is under FDA jurisdiction.
          Well hello, Chris!

BTW, no one ever said the FDA was always right...

For my money, all I want is a consistent tenor about eyewear...either it is medical...or its not!

If its not, then let's let anyone, anytime and anywhere, by what they want without the need to be refracted by a *medical professional (or his like).

If it is medical, then let stop all internet/mail-order/OTC distribution of these medical devices, and...this is my favorite...

...let's stop referring to the Rx "hand-off" in an office where the refracting doctor (OD or MD) has an in house dispensary. If eyewear is deteremined to be medical, then this practice as unethical as an in house pharmacy hand-off.

Oh, and by the way, it does seem the FDA and FTC have regulations designed to handle the hand-off already... WELL LET"S ENFORCE THEM, for ***s sake!

My two cents

Barry Santini, ABOM

Comment

Originally posted by For-Life View Post
            The difference is that it has to be a lot more accurate and you cannot change it after that. We do not work, drive, use the computer, read and watch tv through binoculars. If the vision is annoying you can always remove them. With glasses we have to see clearly and all of the time.

That is why you can buy binoculars at any store, but need an optician to fit glasses.
            Really, eyewear and accuracy?? is that ever an oxymoron.

Eyewear does not have to be accurate...it only has to be *appropriate* for that individual's desired needs and *present* vision...at the time of delivery. Vision is fluid....so much for accuracy...

If driving is the real true social consequence of non-optimal distance vision, then let's, as a society, agree to this point and mandate acuity checks for driving to a much stricter standard (and more consistent from state to state) and frequency.

In NY, it's every 8 years...what a joke!
            And in NY they test at 6 (six!) feet! Oh my god! What are they thinking at the NYS DMV...!

You need an optician to fit glasses? Not in my state! And where are the opticians in the internet delivery system? Are they virtual?

All I desire is a consistent approach on eyewear. Let's agree whether it is or isn't medical, and then be consistent (across the country) and down the distribution line with this agreement in mind.

Anything else is simply duplicitous.

Barry Santini, ABOM

Comment

Consistency

I would love to see unity in the approach of optics - from answers to questions like 'are glasses/contacts medical' to 'what defines an optician', and in areas like making concrete, enforceable guidelines similiar to ANSI, and finding people to go around and actually enforcing them. I'd like to see an end to ODs, MD, and corporations ignoring licensing requirements during operating hours. As a licensed optition with a degree, I'd like to see a degree being part of the requirements to sit for a state board exam - which I'd like to see in each state. I'd also like the respect other professions are given when you take years of hard work in order to be where you are, instead of being thought of as a sales person.

Unfortunately, we can't find unity in the less than 20 people who have posted in this thread alone - and this is a community of optically educated people. How could we ask that others outside our field share a consistent view of our profession, when we ourselves are not sending them a consistent message to begin with?

I'd really like to see a poll on some of these questions, to get a greater number of people to weigh in.
              William Walker

Associates in Science in Opticianry
              Associates in Science in Optical Business Management
              Licensed Dispensing Optician
              Board Certified
              Certified Paraoptometric Assistant
              American Board of Opticianry Advanced Certified
              National Contact Lens Examiners Certified

Next Goal: ABOM

Optician with Lenscrafters in Jacksonville, FL

Comment

wOW...People seem to have had it very badly at LC. The things described as being said to employees re sales results just can't happen the same in Canada...we can coach and set expectations but as long as the associate is genuinely trying to meet standard....their job is pretty safe..(different labour codes maybe?)

Axis turner....up here the 30 day policy is no hassel...no question. I had 2 situations today....kids glasses...3 weeks old, run over by another kid during a soccer match. My associate didn't even ask me...she just replaced them. Another guys kid pulled the arm off his glasses after 6 weeks...we gave him a new frame, no charge. Maybe Canadians are just more laid back in how we do business.

k12319997...I'm definately not a drone! LMAO! I get ****** off at work just like anyone else...but overall I'm still really happy after all these years. Oh...and I'm one of those managers hired from the clothing store to manage the optical! :D It doesn't take optical knowledge to run a business...but I did sign up for the Opticians course immediately because I wanted to have credibility with my associates and opticians.

Comment

Truly do you think that is the best way to handle a situation with blowing up at someone. You are right about the managers giving in but what has happened to the public's morals and values to themselves and to others. I agree with Nettie, that if it's handled maturely it just works best....
                  ABO-NCLE Certified 1992 to current

Comment

Wow .......................this is an old consumer thread from the way back machine

Comment

Originally posted by Molster View Post
                      Truly do you think that is the best way to handle a situation with blowing up at someone. You are right about the managers giving in but what has happened to the public's morals and values to themselves and to others. I agree with Nettie, that if it's handled maturely it just works best....
                      Obviously I have a little to learn about Forums. Didn't notice the date....

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Ryser View Post
                        Wow .......................this is an old consumer thread from the way back machine
                        I am new to using forums, didn't see the date.

Comment

God Bless The Independent

I always like Johns straightforward intelligent responses .
                          Originally posted by Johns View Post
                          Who cares? They can scream all they want at the chains to get whatever they want...

...Do it in my store and it just gets you kicked out. (Indpendents are ALLOWED to do that!)

Comment

Working...
                          X