Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is Costco's warranty or guarantee on glasses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plum:

A PD that is off will make a progressive lens useless. The fact that you were dispensed a pair of glasses without the PD being double checked is embarassing to the whole industry.

It sounds like this is your first progressive. Even after you get the corrected PD, it will take some time to get used to them. There is no magic lens that will make your eyes 20 years old again. Don't be surprised if you pick up the new specs and immediately think it is no better...you essentially have to re-learn how to use your eyes with this type of lens.

All of this is information your prescriber or dispenser should have told you.

So just relax, get the new glasses. Talk to the manager and state that since it was their error from the beginning you would like your 30 day satisfaction guarantee or whatever to start from the time you pick up the new glasses. Get it in writing on your receipt. If you're still not happy after 2 weeks of really wearing the glasses (not just putting them on for 5 minutes but really wearing them), go in to the store again. If they refuse to fix the problem to your satisfaction, make a scene. A BIG scene. Preferrably when the store is busy. They will do anything to get you out of the store.

Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by Ory View Post
      Plum:

A PD that is off will make a progressive lens useless. The fact that you were dispensed a pair of glasses without the PD being double checked is embarassing to the whole industry.

It sounds like this is your first progressive. Even after you get the corrected PD, it will take some time to get used to them. There is no magic lens that will make your eyes 20 years old again. Don't be surprised if you pick up the new specs and immediately think it is no better...you essentially have to re-learn how to use your eyes with this type of lens.

So just relax, get the new glasses. Talk to the manager and state that since it was their error from the beginning you would like your 30 day satisfaction guarantee or whatever to start from the time you pick up the new glasses. Get it in writing on your receipt. If you're still not happy after 2 weeks of really wearing the glasses (not just putting them on for 5 minutes but really wearing them), go in to the store again. If they refuse to fix the problem to your satisfaction, make a scene. A BIG scene. Preferrably when the store is busy. They will do anything to get you out of the store.

Good Luck
      Not much more to say. Unfortunately, some others posters in the other thread decided to push the issue and try to use it to prove their own points.

Like I said in the first thread, lets wait until the PD is corrected.

Comment

bundles of money is not bad its the fact that they lower the prices becouse of the quanity they do,Quality did suffer when I was there and breakage was very high 350-450 jobs daily, power off,seg's off,PD off,scratches,chips,alot of small lenes,and the list goes on.alot of people were getting hurt (Carbule Tunel) and alot of complaining.so what did they do about it,(THEY HIRED A TEMP AGENTCY AND HIRED PEOPLE WITH NO EXPEREANCE TO MAKE GLASSES)So they do not have to worry about people getting hurt or paying insurance its all on the temp agentcy.

quote=costco; here is a small screw driver bending pliers put this lenes in this frame.(YES YOU WILL STAB YOUR FINGERS,BUT YOU WILL GET USED TO IT)we want 30-40 jobs mounted per hour, The superviser will come buy every hour and take your number you did in that hour,if you did not meet your 30-40 jobs you get called in the office to (SEE IF YOUR FINGERS ARE HURTING) LOL, no really to see why your numbers are low.

So take it from here does Quality suffer?

Originally posted by plum View Post
        markssunwear, That is interesting. But I'm not sure how to interpret the information. Yes, it looks like they are making bundles of money. Is that bad? Are you saying that they do so much business the quality suffers? Or that they do such a volume business that they can afford to price much lower?

Comment

Plum: I suspect that the "private optician" is an employee of the eye doctor, especially if you can walk into his "room" without a separating door.

Comment

Plum:

Good Luck
            The people who are rude and make a big scene are the ones I do not want to help. But my patients do not need to make a really big scene in order for me to listen to their concerns and do my best to help them.
            sigpic
            JUST PLAIN GOOFY!
            http://www.myspace.com/net72772

Comment

Originally posted by Nettie View Post
              The people who are rude and make a big scene are the ones I do not want to help. But my patients do not need to make a really big scene in order for me to listen to their concerns and do my best to help them.
              I agree completely. I've also worked in a number of non-optical retail stores and seen that making a scene is the best way to get what you want. Large chains are very concerned with their image and a yelling, screaming, irate customer is bad for their image. Most managers will give in to get rid of the person.

Comment

I agree completely. I've also worked in a number of non-optical retail stores and seen that making a scene is the best way to get what you want. Large chains are very concerned with their image and a yelling, screaming, irate customer is bad for their image. Most managers will give in to get rid of the person.
                I cannot believe that you are telling a customer to make a scene at their eyeglass store. You should be ashamed of yourself. Have you ever made a mistake? Measured wrong? We all have, we're human. So, how do you like it when you've made an honest mistake but the cutomer continues to yell and berate you? It sucks. So please Ory, give them the befit of the doubt, let them correct the problem and go from there. It never helps the situation to go in yelling an screaming to get your way.

Comment

Originally posted by shellrob View Post
                  I cannot believe that you are telling a customer to make a scene at their eyeglass store.
                  Who cares? They can scream all they want at the chains to get whatever they want...

...Do it in my store and it just gets you kicked out. (Indpendents are ALLOWED to do that!)
                  Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Comment

I feel the need to respond...I work for lenscrafters and proud of it

-variety...why need variety between stores when each store caries 2000 styles?
                    -progressives...we carry ovation, sola, and the entire line of varilux lenses...between those we have never had a problem meeting a customers need.(as well as a selction of other styles for various specific needs)
                    -we can get 1.74....and do regularly
                    -we sell the varilux elipse with a fitting height of 14 mm
                    our central lab jobs return in 4 to 5 business days

the misconceptions about lenscrafters products and quality have been around for years. We have great selection ,exceptional service and we have to follow the same federal quality standards as anyone else...in some cases ours are stricter.

know your facts before you make sweeping statements.

Originally posted by snowmonster View Post
                    Plum - here's the problem. The perception that the general public has is that large companies (like Lens Crafters, Costco, etc) has the latest and greatest stuff and that they are more advanced than your independent opticians, as well as OD and MD offices.

The reality is that because they are a large corporation:
                    • There is absolutely zero variety amongst the stores
                    • They are all limited to 1 or 2 brands of progressive lenses because of contractual obligations and pricing. I think Lens Crafters only offers the Ovation and no other progressive. Also, I don't believe you can get anything over a 1.67 index, meaning you can't benefit from the 1.70 or 1.74 (very thin) lenses there.
                    • They don't offer the latest progressives that allow you to have a shorter frame (from top to bottom)
                    • They will likely take longer to do your job, depending on how slow their central lab is
                    These stores work for the masses, but if you need something a little out of the norm, you can't get it there.

Did you even actually buy glasses from Costco or are you just thinking that you're going to have a problem?

-Steve

Comment

The availability of any index above 1.67 and the Varilux Ellipse (and "all" Varilux lenses, as you describe) and turnaround time of less than 2 weeks must be new changes since May 2005 when I stopped working there.

Perhaps things are simply different in Canadia?

If things have changed that drastically in the states in the past 3 months, then I'm clearly mistaken. But I worked at a Lens Crafters for 3 years until May of this year and my observations are 100% accurate for the store in Indiana where I worked.

So in essence, they are facts as that was how things worked in the store I was at, and I hung out with the lab people very often.

-Steve
                      -Steve

Comment

Originally posted by shellrob View Post
                        I cannot believe that you are telling a customer to make a scene at their eyeglass store. You should be ashamed of yourself. Have you ever made a mistake? Measured wrong? We all have, we're human. So, how do you like it when you've made an honest mistake but the cutomer continues to yell and berate you? It sucks. So please Ory, give them the befit of the doubt, let them correct the problem and go from there. It never helps the situation to go in yelling an screaming to get your way.
                        I will not be ashamed of what I wrote. Did you read the whole thread? I clearly explained all the steps to being a good customer. I said that plum should get the new glasses. I made it very clear that the manager should put in writing that the guarantee will from the pick-up of the new pair since it was their error originally. If the store will not honour that written word after a couple of weeks, then plum can go crazy on them. I think that would be quite justified.

Comment

snowmonster

perhaps things are different in Canada...but I wouldn't think so. The company is very concerned with the equal providing of service across the brands. Certainly, most of the instock lenses are ovations (some exceptions) but we order in everything else now too. The company has gone through major changes in the last year...there is much less empasis placed on one hour in the sense that they now encourage us to order in a product if it best meets the needs of the customer. we used to do everything in the hour (therefore less options available) to now we order in up to 60% of our product.

Comment

Originally posted by rainchild View Post
                            I feel the need to respond...I work for lenscrafters and proud of it

-variety...why need variety between stores when each store caries 2000 styles?
                            -progressives...we carry ovation, sola, and the entire line of varilux lenses...between those we have never had a problem meeting a customers need.(as well as a selction of other styles for various specific needs)
                            -we can get 1.74....and do regularly
                            -we sell the varilux elipse with a fitting height of 14 mm
                            our central lab jobs return in 4 to 5 business days

the misconceptions about lenscrafters products and quality have been around for years. We have great selection ,exceptional service and we have to follow the same federal quality standards as anyone else...in some cases ours are stricter.

know your facts before you make sweeping statements.

I have never dogged LC quality.. since I was in lab management that would be putting down my own self....though I didn't work the Central Lab and did have many an issue with them

However, of the 2000 styles you carry, many are the same. You have one style in 4 colors taking 8 slots.

Progressive lenses.. most lenses in stock are the ovations. Yeah, you have Sola Max lenses for reg poly.. and the Illumina for the poly lenses. For Varilux, in my tenure there we could get comfort, panamic and ellipse. However it took about 2 weeks and don't dare ask for crizal ar to go with it.. cause then you were lucky to see it in a month and the extra patient cost was $140... (+100 to base pal for Varilux, and +40 for Crizal) which in total is way more than I charge and I get the lenses in a week.

Now of course I have been gone for almost a year, but when I was there we were "allowed" to get 1.74, or 1.71 for that matter.

I wasn't allowed to order anything like the Office or Technica or any other task specific lens, unless I was working at one of the locations utilizing the Prio computer vision model..I am told this is true still today

AR was taking 10-14 days to get back and process. With the focus on AR sales, of course it wanted to shy away from 1 hr. However most patients still requested this service. Which is fine, if all your lab people weren't on the floor helping the patients since we had to cut staff again and again.

My biggest gripe was the mentality that if you didn't meet your quotas then you were out the door. So I "work" a couple of days on the floor, given primarily dispensing, troubleshooting, repairs and greeting duties.. but I get my **** handed to me for not meeting goals. Though I was to hand over sales to other associates so I was free to take care of everything else..

I know lots of people who still work at the LC, and the level of knowledge most of their "opticians" have is horrendous. For every 5-6 people who work the retail floor, only one may know enough to do troubleshooting or to offer something that isn't LC bread and butter...

Obviously LC does some things right..just not all of them.

Cassandra
                            "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Comment

cassandra,

we have no problem ordering in task specific lenses like office or interview lenses. our scotchgard coating is essentially crizal and it's only 30 dollars more than the regular. my store carries 2000 different styles
                              Yes we do ask alot from our associates although quotas is not one of them...we set sales goals but I have never heard of a business that doesn't. We do work really hard but I find that the only people who generally have a problem with it are those with a background working in low volume dispensaries where they might sell 8 to 10 pair a day. we do 60 to 75 pair a day and I expect my staff to be working all the time.
                              to say we have bad opticians is ludicrous...the two years I went to school for my liscence the top scorers on the school exam and on the licencing exam came from lenscrafters. As an optician I am exposed to every variation of Rx, problem..etc due to the shere volume of things we came across. I remember some students from doctors offices had a hard time just getting their minimum fits in over the 2 years...I got all of mine in 3 days! Some got licensed never having fit/done a troubleshoot on a high prism patient. I handled that at least once a week. I would pit our opticians against any in the business!
                              Maybe you worked in a bad location, or had a bad manager but I suspect from your tone of voice that you just had a bad attitude!

Comment

Rainchild......you must be an exception. I actually have never met a truly happy Lenscrafters employee.

Comment

Working...
                                X