Thread: Newbie with a question

OptiBoard Novice

Confused Newbie with a question

I got my exam at Sears then found out I can't afford the lenses. I was told I have to have either ploycarbonate lenses with A/R at $268.99 or hi index 1.67 lenses with A/R at $338.99. I have about $125 to spend. LOL
    Found some frames for $12 from goggles 4 U (product code 12146). They won't put progressive lenses in these because they have to have an eye height of at least 32mm and I don't like any of them. Does anyone know if Walmart can put progressives in a frame height of 26 mm?

I don't know what Walmart charges now, but back when I got these glasses, (had insurance then) I paid only $80 for my progressive lenses but I don't remember if it included the A/R. Surely, it can't be too much more than that now.????

I feel a bit frozen with uncertainty right now. I have a very limited amount to spend on glasses and if I make a mistake, I won't be getting any for a long time. Makes me very nervous but I have to do something.

If I buy these frames will Walmart be able to put progressives in them? I apologize if my questions sound silly. I'm just now learning about all this lens stuff thanks in part to what I've been reading on this board.
    Thanks for any suggestions or advice you can offer.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Don't you think you should be calling WalMart?? They can answer your questions for you.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Get Bifocals with a line, it's a lot cheaper and you can see better.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Unless you'd like to see at arm's length. Then you might want to consider a lens which has a focal area for that distance as well.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you can afford to live in L.A. you can afford good glasses.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by BlindAsABat View Post
    I have about $125 to spend.
    How much do you spend a month on your cell phone? Cigarettes? alcohol? Cable TV? these are all luxuries and so is a progressive.

Really, why would we waste our time helping you buy online.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

opinion

I don't know much about glasses; I just came to this board to ask questions about my own progressive lenses.

But I read your post. If you can buy glasses for $12, they have got to be a very inferior quality. They are probably about the quality of the reading glasses you buy at the drugstore for $7.95. You don't care if those break because you can just spend 8 more bucks and get new ones.

Personally, I wouldn't want to pay for an eyeglass prescription and have it put in crummy frames.

I am new to wearing glasses. But I realize they are very important for my eyesight, and I'm going to be wearing them 17 hours a day. I want good, sturdy frames that fit my face. I imagine I will wear them at least 2 years before getting new ones (maybe longer), so it is worth it to cough up the money for a good pair.

You need to be able to try them on and see what they look like on you. Something that looks good in a picture may not look good on you. And make sure they feel good and are the proper size for you.

Just my opinion.

OptiBoard Novice
    "If you can afford to live in L.A. you can afford good glasses."
    I'm here temporarily and the sooner I get out the better. Thank you very much.

Ory, I didn't ask for help in buying online. FYI I don't have a cell phone. I don't smoke, nor do I drink. I haven't had cable in nearly a year. If their friggin pay phone worked I'd call Walmart myself. I'm here for another 2 weeks but my neighbor with internet is leaving in the morning. This means I won't be enjoying any more of your insulting posts.

Thanks a bunch.

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by BlindAsABat View Post
    If I buy these frames will Walmart be able to put progressives in them? I apologize if my questions sound silly. I'm just now learning about all this lens stuff thanks in part to what I've been reading on this board.
    Thanks for any suggestions or advice you can offer.
    This is really up to Walmart or wherever you choose to go. In all likelihood, they won't give you a definite answer without seeing the frames.

Thread Information