Thread: Are all Physio 360 thicker than Comforts?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Are all Physio 360 thicker than Comforts?

I have my re-make pair of Physio 360s which I picked up yesterday. The optician told me that Varilux would re-make them with the thin lenses like in my Comforts. They are not any thinner than they were when the optician sent them back. My Comforts are the high index and are approx 1/16" thick. I also purchased the high index Physio 360s and I expected them to be of similar thickness. Instead, they are about 1-1/2 times the thickness of the Comforts. The "vision center" told me they couldn't be made any thinner because of the drill mount. But my Comforts have the same type drill mount. I really don't understand what's the problem is, and whether it's Varilux or the local "vision center".

They feel heavier and I feel my vision isn't any sharper than the old prescription. Both are for mild hyperopia with 2.25 add in Comforts and 2.50 add in Physios...very little astigmatism. Prescriptions were dispensed two years apart. I'm thinking of going back to the eye care center that dispensed the Comforts and paying for a new exam and PALs, but wanted to learn more before taking this somewhat drastic step.

Thanks for any thoughts and suggestions.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    From this and your other posts it doesn't appear that you really care for your new lenses. You should be wearing your new "360" lenses full time and not going back or worrying about your old Comfort lenses. Perhaps you should return to your dispenser/doctor and request a refund for these lenses. At this point both Comfort and Panamic lenses are scheduled to be replaced by Physio and Physio 360 so someday you will have adapt to something other than a Comfort. We've got some really fine (but less advertised) lenses in the maketplace, perhaps a more knowledgable optician (someone that can see beyond Varilux's marketing) would benefit you the most......

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Thank you, Bill, for taking the time to respond. Unfortunately, I cannot get a refund as Pearle Vision doesn't do refunds. I think I would be happy with the Physio 360s if they had done what they had indicated they did...to have Varilux remake the glasses with the thinner high index material.

I did do a little follow-up with the eye care center that provided the Comforts today. They measured the thickness as 1.5 mm with the Comforts and 2.5 mm with the Physios. The lab technician also called the Varilux lab for this area to see if there were any recent directives for thicker lenses. The people at the Varilux lab said they'd not been told anything of the kind. Basically, I feel like I'm being jerked around by Pearle. Maybe they are trying to use up the earlier version of the 360s before they provided them in the 1.67 index. I don't know...just really frustrated.:(

Thanks for listening...

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Guess I'm surprised that Pearle is providing Physio 360 or rather that Varilux is willing to provide them to Pearle. If they're real 360's, these lenses are "surfaced" in France by Varilux/Essilor and Pearle has nothing to do with the thickness of the lenses. Perhaps they're not telling you the truth, good luck with them..

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    One question answered might help a lot. I would assume there is an extra charge for Physio 360s with 1.67 high index (Thin&Lite) vs the 1.6 (1.59) index (Airwear). I was not offered a choice here, and it may be that I was put in the Airwear, which would explain the extra thickness (and heaviness).

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jude View Post
    Maybe they are trying to use up the earlier version of the 360s before they provided them in the 1.67 index. I don't know...just really frustrated.:(
    The Physio and 360 were released first in 1.67. After several months, the polycarb and regular plastic were available, so that's not the case.
    Pearle vision is owned by lenscrafters. Go to a small dr's office Optician when you want good service.
    At any rate, though, I'm an Optician and I've sold LOTS of Physios, I haven't seen any thickness difference.
    I must say, though, that I'm sure you're NOT seeing less clearly because of one stinkin millimeter. I could make those things five millimeters too thick and w/o seeing the lenses, you couldn't tell me which was which.
    It's in your head that it's affecting your vision.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Poly is lighter than High Index, by the way.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Thanks, EyeFitWell. And please excuse my ignorance about high index, thickness, weight, etc. I only knew I couldn't see as well with the Physios. I finally made an appointment with the doctor I went to prior to this experience (small office doctor and optician) and got a second eye exam. It turns out that the Physio lens read closer to 1.25 than the 1.00 on the prescription; but after testing my eyes very thoroughly, it is also the case that the prescription was too strong in both distance and reading (by .25) and did not include some astigmatism in the left eye. I went back to Pearle this morning with the new prescription and told them what I had done. They're getting a doctor's remake of the Physios and were very gracious about doing so. At least it explained why I couldn't see as well with the newer glasses, because truthfully I was beginning to wonder if it was in my head too.

Jude

Thread Information