Thread: Lenticular lens

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Lenticular lens

Can someone help with a general question from a consumer. I have an rx of -10 -1.25x5 -11-1.00x90. I've been advised by my optometrist to consider lenticulars. Are there any decent alternatives to lenticulars for an rx like this? I wear contacts mostly but I'm getting more glasses as the ones I have are old. Would 1.6 be a viable option? I've been advised the lenses would be very thick in 1.6. I'm not too keen on the idea of lenticulars as I think the field of vision would be very small??

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    You wont lose much in the field. I'd suggest a blended lenticular or blended myodisk. The bowl is much less prominate with the blended. I think there are also some finished product from pentax or seiko. These are NOT blended or lenticulars though. I'd probably try 1.67 seiko. Get the smallest frame posible that has little or no decentration, your optician can help you with that. What ever you chose you should ask for a good A/R.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would not use a lenticular lens with your rx. Consider a very high index lens, 1.74 or so, aspheric, and edged into a small frame, with as little decentration as practical, as Jim pointed out. Have the center ground to 1mm if legal in your area, and have a "heavy feather" and edge polish put on the finished lenses. These are all tips to reduce the thickness, or the appearance of thickness, and can be done by an experienced optician.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    i have edged down 1.67 at that rx a couple times and it looks nice considering the power. use a small frame and you will be fine

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Thanks for the replies. I've asked my optician about using a higher index aspheric lens but he's still strongly advised to go with a lenticular lens as I'll apparently get better vision with this . I think I'll try elsewhere for a second opinion as don't really want lenticulars if possible. Would vision with a 1.74 be significantly different to a lenticular?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by JBee View Post
    I think I'll try elsewhere for a second opinion as don't really want lenticulars if possible.
    Dont just shop around for the answer you want. If your optician has been working with you for awhile HE/SHE would know your situation better than we would. Be honest and tell them you want to try other lens options.
    Paul:cheers:

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Nelson View Post
    I would not use a lenticular lens with your rx. Consider a very high index lens, 1.74 or so, aspheric, and edged into a small frame, with as little decentration as practical, as Jim pointed out. Have the center ground to 1mm if legal in your area, and have a "heavy feather" and edge polish put on the finished lenses. These are all tips to reduce the thickness, or the appearance of thickness, and can be done by an experienced optician.
    I would agree. I have made glasses with basically they same Rx a hand full of times with Hi Index 1.70 and have never had a disappointed patient.

The only thing I would add is to make sure your optician measures your "optical center" in what ever frame you pick (he/she should know to do this but I have seen it overlooked).

You will love them!!:)
    MOJO :cheers:

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If one has a good lab it is possible to make a lenticular or myodisc out of high index materials, thereby getting the benefits of both.

Chip
    Last edited by chip anderson; 08-01-2006 at 06:34 PM. Reason: forgot somethin

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Thanks for this advice, it's been really helpful. I've managed to talk my optician into using 1.74 in really small frame and do everything to keep the thickness down but he's advised me that vision won't be nearly as good as with lenticulars - I'm still confused as to why

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I disagree with your optician. Lenticulars generally result in poorer vision peripherally, since the prescription is contained in a smaller area in the lens, while the rest of the lens is refered to as the carrier. High index lenses do use flatter curves, and can sometimes be difficult to adjust to. Placing some curve into the frame usually helps, and a day or two to adjust and you should be pleased with your new specs.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

lentics?

As Dave mentioned above, the "advantages" of a lentic. are probably gonna be lost anyhow when you choose a sufficiently small frame size you're going to edge off all of that carrier portion of the lens anyhow. I would agree that a 1.67 or 1.74 lens would be a fine choice.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Go with the 1.74 index lens and you'll be quite happy with the thickness.

-Steve

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    OK, so our patient now knows what he's ordered......... let's for one minute take a lateral look at this Pt and his Rx and assume that he is not at all interested in the cosmetic appearance of the glasses but wants the best vision possible....... what would you give him?

I think if it was up to me, the choice would be a Lenticular (not blended) in 1.523 glass and a good AR.

One more thing, if Lentics are fitted properly, close to the eye, there will be little reduction in the field of view.

And the last point.... if we want the thinnest, why not go for 1.9 glass with a CT of 1.0 in a small frame..... the Pt's in the UK.. dammit!........ I've made this sort of Rx and higher many times in this material and you wouldn't believe the results.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Clive Noble View Post
    OK, so our patient now knows what he's ordered......... let's for one minute take a lateral look at this Pt and his Rx and assume that he is not at all interested in the cosmetic appearance of the glasses but wants the best vision possible....... what would you give him?

I think if it was up to me, the choice would be a Lenticular (not blended) in 1.523 glass and a good AR.

One more thing, if Lentics are fitted properly, close to the eye, there will be little reduction in the field of view.

And the last point.... if we want the thinnest, why not go for 1.9 glass with a CT of 1.0 in a small frame..... the Pt's in the UK.. dammit!........ I've made this sort of Rx and higher many times in this material and you wouldn't believe the results.
    This is interesting - my optician did say an unblended glass lenticular would give the best vision - but I just couldn't understand how I'd be able to see well through such a small area. I think I'll get what I want from the 1.74 though.

Thread Information