Thread: VSP Signature Choice

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question VSP Signature Choice

Anyone out there get the memo from VSP about the Signature Choice Plan? Are you going to accept the plan or opt out?

Bad address email on file fvc2020's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We decided not to take it. What were they thinking???

christina

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Compete with Cole maybe? We're thinking opt out as well but we don't have enough information as to what companies will be picking up the plan. I'm wondering if it will be the plan for individuals that they are rolling out.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Its a horrible plan, especially for PALs. The fitting fee sucks. I'm opting out. It would only be worth it if you really pushed add-ons like AR

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We dropped VSP back in 2000, and with no regrets. They are the most unfair insurer out there. Dealing with them at 1st was very easy. Then they started shoving more and more bureaucracy and responcibility on us. What started out as a few mins. paperwork turned into many mins. on their website to the point of even correcting the patients mailing addresses for them. But when we found out how much more they were paying a Dr down the road, that was it! This other Dr's office was being paid twice what we were for services.

It seem that their system for figuring out what they will give you is based on what you "claim" are your usual charges for services. Our office runs a tight ship and keeps costs down for all our patients, they don't seem to take that into account. It's like they want to discount an already discounted price.

We had so many VSP patients that our regular, non-insured patients were having to wait for appointments. Now we only accept one, small insurer that makes up for less than 10% of our base. We see a few less patients, but these are full pay patients. Our bottom line is much better because of it. We can now spend time getting to know each one individually, educate them and truly help with all their eyecare needs.

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I just found out about it from our insurance biller - not a nice looking plan at all. I'm going to highly suggest to the doctor that we opt out of this one - I'd like to opt out of VSP altogether, but it's 70% of the practice with a huge VSP employer about 10 miles down the road and we're the closest provider by another 10 miles. So I'll never get the doc to opt out completely - although my life would be easier as I wouldn't have to use a VSP authorized lab ever again.

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We got a mailing about this plan some time ago and decided not to accept it. The fee structure is pretty bad. As one of the doctors here said, Why would we bother? We'd lose money on each patient.

I agree with Optical 24/7 about VSP putting more and more paperwork requirements on us providers: more work and more time for no more money. VSP must be a volume practice if it is to have any economic success. All it means is that we work longer and harder for less $$.
    Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

Occupation
    Optometrist
    A lot of docs I know are equally underwhelmed.

Anyone got a listing of the "chargebacks" for progressives?

Occupation
    Spurred by this thread, I checked our 6/16 - 7/15 Remittance Advice on our MESSA VSP plan (basically follows the Signature Plan). There were so many I just looked at the orders with Progressives. The average difference between what we made on that patient with VSP versus what we would have made had it been a cash paying patient sent to our non-VSP lab is 24%!!! The lowest was 7% (pt had few covered options and had a huge upgrade on the frame) but the highest is 44%!!! This pt has every covered option and stayed within their frame allowance. We litterally got jacked on that one.

So...I decided to apply the Signature Choice numbers to these orders - that 24% jumped to just over 46%!!! Range was 29% to 70%!!!

So...The Signature Choice plan really kills you if you sell premium lenses, but could help with premium add-ons that are not covered options. But I jsut don't see that helping overcome a 46% loss in revenue.

I'll have to rethink my current employment if my doc doesn't opt out of this plan.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just say no...

And stick to it!!

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    A lot of docs I know are equally underwhelmed.

Anyone got a listing of the "chargebacks" for progressives?
    There's nothing on the Eyefinity site yet - so I have no clue about pt charges on options, charge back $$$, service fee $$$ - this plan goes into effect 8/1 - what the bloddy heck are they thinking???...Oh yeah, this is VSP we are talking about.
    Last edited by Audiyoda; 07-31-2006 at 03:22 PM.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I heard this awful plan is for the federal employees.

And if you have to categorize the worst customers, it's government employees. They want everything for nothing, take up lots of time, and have this attitude that small business owners are rich.

Too bad, as my previous experience with VSP is the opposite. VSP was usually high end retail or high tech. Educated customers who were thrilled to have any sort of vision coverage and liked to upgrade.

I'm probably going to opt out of this plan. Too much like being a Davis provider.

Harry

Bad address email on file gjhazard's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

VSP Signature Choice Plan

Does VSP ever do anythng good for the ECP? I think not and this is a prime example.

I'm sure we will take it. Where I work they are afraid of VSP from the top on down to the "billing" dept.

Greg

Optiboard Professional Bill West's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Take no insurance!!!

I take none and I mean NONE. Anytime you let someone else tell you how to run YOUR business you lose.
    If everyone stopped tomorrow, guess who feels the pinch?
    THE INSURANCE RIP OFFS. I refuse to work for anyone who will not pay my fee.
    By the way they are not your customers, they belong to the insurance company and if they decide they must go somewhere else you lose.

Tennessee Ernie sang it long ago. "You load 16 ton and what do you get,another day older and deeper in debt".

The coal mine owned the mine and the store. THINK ABOUT IT.:hammer:

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by harry888 View Post
    I heard this awful plan is for the federal employees.

And if you have to categorize the worst customers, it's government employees. They want everything for nothing, take up lots of time, and have this attitude that small business owners are rich.

Too bad, as my previous experience with VSP is the opposite. VSP was usually high end retail or high tech. Educated customers who were thrilled to have any sort of vision coverage and liked to upgrade.

I'm probably going to opt out of this plan. Too much like being a Davis provider.

Harry
    I thought engineers were supposed to be the worst customers ever. ;)
    My husband is a goverment employee and he is not like that at all.

Thread Information