Thread: protecting the profession

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

protecting the profession

Here in B.C. the Health Professions Act includes a reg against bringing the profession into disrepute. By way of an example, an optician was once given a warning under that regulation by stating in an advertisment that opticians were mostly liars, and he himself was the honest one. It is intended to protect the reputation of the profession itself, although it is highly subjective and can be difficult to define. I think the Brits have something similar, what about the States? Do some jurisdictions have any legislation federally or locally intended to prevent the profession from being brought into disrepute? What about optometry?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Ethics

Dave,

There are ethics provisions in many state licensures as well as disciplinary guidelines by ABO/NCLE, although I'm not sure they have every brought an Optician up on counts.

However, if we did have good regulations, boy howdy, would some of the posters here be in trouble. We seem to make ourselves look disreuputable frequently.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

We can't do it here.

We have the first amendment. In many cases this would be attempting to protect ourselves from the truth. While you can't say just anything especially when a compeditor is mentioned or alluded to, you can say the truth even if it does allude to a compeditor. It ain't nice, it isn't ethical but you can do this.
    And no I do not think bad mouthing one's compeditor makes you any better, it is legal.
    Years ago you never heard a TV or radio commercial mention a compeditor or compeditor's product in thier commercials. Now this is common practice. It ain't nice, it isn't an improvement but it is now our standard. And as we all know, if everyone else does it, it must be O.K. This is where our society has "evolved" to.

Chip

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I think a lot of the time these folks misjudge the public as well, and decide that they will be able to lift themselves higher by stepping on someone else. Most of the folks I know, when they see someone being stepped on like that, will go out of their way to knock the other guy off and help the one underneath. But I do live in Canada, and we still root for the underdogs, so...:shiner:

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by loncoa View Post
    I think a lot of the time these folks misjudge the public as well, and decide that they will be able to lift themselves higher by stepping on someone else. Most of the folks I know, when they see someone being stepped on like that, will go out of their way to knock the other guy off and help the one underneath. But I do live in Canada, and we still root for the underdogs, so...:shiner:

That's why Chapman's ice cream is still around. There were the ice cream wars of the '80s when the big guys sold their stuff cheaper thn Chapman's could....but the Canadian consumer still bought from Chapman's. Go underdog!

Thread Information