Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who does unlimited warranties on AR??

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Some AR coaters go through a lot.................

Being in the manufacturing end of chemicals I can tell you that some AR coaters go through a lot of AR stripper...............................

and I assume they dont use it to strip freshly coated lenses.

:finger:

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Unfortunately, if we offered the full warranty not only would we would we lose the extra sales, we would lose money on our labor. I don't know about the labs you guys use but if was to break a lens while edging guess who pays for it. Now all of a sudden my "free" redo just cost me over $100.00!!!

Not to mention the customres who would still come in "shortly" after the warrantied expired in two years and throw a fit toget them replaced.

Trust me, I want to help as much as the next guy but ultimately I have to food on my table.
    MOJO :cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Ory View Post
    I find it really questionable when you tell the patient that the warranty is less than it actually is. If the lab or manufacturer gives a warranty on the coating then you should give the patient that warranty. Not using the lab's warranty to ensure your sales stay up? No thanks!
    I believe that not everything in this business is meant to be used in a total trickle-down way. Just because an optical lens company or wholesale lab offers an unlimited warranty does not mean that warranty extends to the patient. After all they're selling a product to "us", the optical pro's, not the patients. We never use the "UNL" word with patients because we truly believe that would absolve them of any responsibility whatsoever in regards to how they treat their eyewear. We simply state that our premium A/R coatings come with a full 2 year warranty and go from there. I agree with previous posts that the unlimited portion then allows us to be overly generous to patients on an individual basis when it becomes necessary to do so. You will never see or hear a coating or lens company( that I know of ) promoting their product directly to the patient or public as one with an "unlimited redo warranty".

C-10
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
    Unfortunately, if we offered the full warranty not only would we would we lose the extra sales, we would lose money on our labor. I don't know about the labs you guys use but if was to break a lens while edging guess who pays for it. Now all of a sudden my "free" redo just cost me over $100.00!!!

Not to mention the customres who would still come in "shortly" after the warrantied expired in two years and throw a fit toget them replaced.

Trust me, I want to help as much as the next guy but ultimately I have to food on my table.
    Sorry but you are wrong. I carried warranty with my eyewear and have created more business and created loyal business with my client when I started the warranty I too was afraid and yes you do get a few who will abuse it but they are very few. The people who come in after the warranty they are explan that the warranty was two years and its over no else will offer a warranty like that. If they leave mad you don't want them as a customer any way.

Keep on truckin...
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Supportive Customers

Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    My Essilor Rep told me that they don't like to publish this but Alize has a "lifetime" warranty. Of course it will probably be like the "lifetime" warranty flexon and a few other materials have had. Where the mfg eventually denies haveing ever said this.

Chip
    Laboratory warranties and manufacturer warranties are designed for supportive customers. Ask yourself this question: Do you fully support your laboratory? If you do, then you are most likely being offered things like 2 Year Unlimited Replacements and 1 Year No-Fault Warranties on 'premium products'. Strong partnerships lead to benefits for both parties envolved.

Adam

Keep on truckin...
    Occupation
    I don't know about the labs you guys use but if was to break a lens while edging guess who pays for it. Now all of a sudden my "free" redo just cost me over $100.00!!!.
    It sounds like what might best serve your interests would be a remote tracer and a lab that provides pre paid shipping labels. Spend less time infront of an edger and more time infront of customers.

Adam

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherry Optical View Post
    It sounds like what might best serve your interests would be a remote tracer and a lab that provides pre paid shipping labels. Spend less time infront of an edger and more time infront of customers.

Adam
    Yeah but if you are good at shop work a few hours in the quit morning hours on the edger can save you alot of money, usually ups your qaulity, and speeds up your turn around time.
    MOJO :cheers:

Occupation

Blue Jumper You are right..................

Yeah but if you are good at shop work a few hours in the quit morning hours on the edger can save you alot of money, usually ups your qaulity, and speeds up your turn around time.

Mojo, You are right................if you can do a proper job..........but so is Adam.

You are looking out to save money ...........and Adam is looking out out to make some.

Keep on truckin...
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Mojo, You are right................if you can do a proper job..........but so is Adam.

You are looking out to save money ...........and Adam is looking out out to make some.
    Chris,

Very well put.

I am not going to debate how much you 'save' buy buying an edger today.

Think of it this way: Does it make sense to buy a new car to save money on gas.

Adam

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Chris,

Very well put.

I am not going to debate how much you 'save' buy buying an edger today.

Think of it this way: Does it make sense to buy a new car to save money on gas.

Adam
    Actually it does.

You know that you will have to buy a new car eventually, so buy it sooner and enjoy those extra years of gas saving. The last car I bought saved me $20 a tank on a full refill, put in 26 fill ups a year and that is $520 a year. So for five years that is $2600. Well worth it in my opinion. Plus the trade in discounts the waited purchase, and did not have to deal with repiars.

:D

Keep on truckin...
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    Actually it does.

You know that you will have to buy a new car eventually, so buy it sooner and enjoy those extra years of gas saving. The last car I bought saved me $20 a tank on a full refill, put in 26 fill ups a year and that is $520 a year. So for five years that is $2600. Well worth it in my opinion. Plus the trade in discounts the waited purchase, and did not have to deal with repiars.

:D
    Chris:

I must seriously be missing something here.... maybe it is some of Bush's new math seeping into my brain, or perhaps your theory is extremely flawed.

Let us assume the following:
    You drive approx. 24,000 miles a year.
    Your current car (used) is paid in full.
    Your current car (used) gets 20 MPG.
    The new car you are considering purchasing costs approx. $400 a month.
    The new car you are considering purchasing gets 30 MPG.
    The average price of full is $3.00 per gallon.

The cost of continuing to use your current car (excluding oil changes & maintence) for another year is: $3600

The cost of purchasing a new car per year (excluding oil changes & maintence) is: $5400.

That looks to me like a 50% increase in expenses paid.

Now there are some un-seen factors of operating a used car that may be missed, such as maintence, break-downs, and most likely a lack of new car smell.

At the same time there are un-seen factors of purchasing a new car. Dependent upon which state you are in you could see an increase in licensing fees, taking that wonder depreciation, increased insurance prices, and expensive repair price on non-warranty maintence issues.

Perhaps you will find some flaws in this logic..... but I have never been a sucker for the "SPEND MONEY to SAVE MONEY" theory.

Adam

Optiboard Professional Bill West's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Try this

Works for me. For 1 year and this does not include abuse just normal scratches.
    To replace clear progressives lenses one time, no charge, to remount, adjust and handling charge $30.00
    Transitions $35.00
    S.T. Bifocals & Single vision $20.00
    All Frames less than 1 year old $ 30.00 exchange fee or if abused 50% of original cost.
    I do no work for free, if it is not worth charging for it's worth nothing.

Occupation
    Chris:

I must seriously be missing something here.... maybe it is some of Bush's new math seeping into my brain, or perhaps your theory is extremely flawed.

Let us assume the following:
    You drive approx. 24,000 miles a year.
    Your current car (used) is paid in full.
    Your current car (used) gets 20 MPG.
    The new car you are considering purchasing costs approx. $400 a month.
    The new car you are considering purchasing gets 30 MPG.
    The average price of full is $3.00 per gallon.

The cost of continuing to use your current car (excluding oil changes & maintence) for another year is: $3600

The cost of purchasing a new car per year (excluding oil changes & maintence) is: $5400.

That looks to me like a 50% increase in expenses paid.

Now there are some un-seen factors of operating a used car that may be missed, such as maintence, break-downs, and most likely a lack of new car smell.

At the same time there are un-seen factors of purchasing a new car. Dependent upon which state you are in you could see an increase in licensing fees, taking that wonder depreciation, increased insurance prices, and expensive repair price on non-warranty maintence issues.

Perhaps you will find some flaws in this logic..... but I have never been a sucker for the "SPEND MONEY to SAVE MONEY" theory.

Adam

24,000 miles a year?
    $400 a month?

Yesh!

I am doing and paying far less than that.

Occupation

Big Smile I must seriously be missing something here.........

Chris:
    Adam,
    You actually do miss something.........you addressed the car examples to me and I never talked about cars at all on this thread as far as my memory goes.

I do not buy cars on a per month basis, I buy them for cash and keep them until they fall apart. If they happen to resist rust I might put a new engine in them and use them for another 250,000 miles.

Gas is of no consequence, because when the weather is nice I go to the office on my scooter that burns 1 gallon of gas in 2 weeks of use, and I enjoy a fresh air ride while the old Lincoln Towncar sits in the garage discharging the battery while sitting there.

So all those car theories might work for one but not for another.

:D :D

Keep on truckin...
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    24,000 miles a year?
    $400 a month?

Yesh!

I am doing and paying far less than that.
    LoL! I think their was a post or thread not to long ago that talks about 'reps' and their cars. I think you can see why they might buy a 'nicer' car... if 24,000 miles a year is a lot of miles, you are not in sales.........

Adam
    Last edited by Cherry Optical; 08-04-2006 at 10:59 AM.

Keep on truckin...
    Occupation
    Adam,
    You actually do miss something.........you addressed the car examples to me and I never talked about cars at all on this thread as far as my memory goes.
    Chris,

My point was that buying an edger (purchasing equipment) has an expense to it. The machine (edger/car) is not free. The stuff you put into the machines to make them work (lenses/gasoline) is not free. So I really think this is a great anology.

Edgers are not free, the lenses you put into the edgers are not free, the blocking pads you use for edging are not free, the mistakes you make on the edger are not without a cost and edgers do not run themselves for free.

If you want to increase the amount of money you spend on LENSES buy an edger and start edging lenses. Anyone that believes that buying an edger decreases the amount of money spent on LENSES they are sadly mistaken.... Maybe there are some tax benefits I am not aware of for getting into manufacturing, but again... last I checked... perhaps it is different for eye care clinics (however, I doubt it), equipment manufacturers charge a pretty penny for a quality edger.

Now if you already have an edger and it is paid off, you are in a different boat all together.

Adam

Once you get your feet wet...
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    My scratch warranties are only .004% in two years. If the patient is educated properly and you don't let them think, "these are good for two years or more" then your warranties will be low. Our entire industry loses with warranty percentages over 2%.

Plus, don't we want to sell them a new style or maybe they should get a new refraction every year. Most OD's say they need the refration yearly. Also look at the cost of their eyewear compared to that soda they get daily, or those trendy shoes, or that business suit. For crying out loud, this is eyewear! A medical device. This is not an everlasting gobstopper from Wonka.

Occupation

Blue Jumper My scratch warranties are only .004% ................

Quote Originally Posted by jrctx View Post
    Our entire industry loses with warranty percentages over 2%.
    It would be very interesting to hear where these figures can be found. I am sure that Essilor doe not publish redo figures..............neither does Hoya .....................or Zeiss ..........................nor any of the independents.

Nobody wants to admit the amount of faulty quality jobs.

Keep on truckin...
    Occupation
    It would be very interesting to hear where these figures can be found. I am sure that Essilor doe not publish redo figures..............neither does Hoya .....................or Zeiss ..........................nor any of the independents.

Nobody wants to admit the amount of faulty quality jobs.
    Chris,

I remember sitting through an Essilor Crizal program where they stated less than 1% of their lenses are returned for scratches. I just about fell over..... in disbelief that is.

Perhaps the whole return % is a bit overated. It really is one of those numbers that, after you go through all of the work to figure it out, what are you going to do with it? The time spent on figuring out how to reduce remakes may be better spent on educating Opticians and Customers on proper fitting techniques, lens selection, and care for their lenses.

Adam

Occupation
    Chris,

I remember sitting through an Essilor Crizal program where they stated less than 1% of their lenses are returned for scratches. I just about fell over..... in disbelief that is.

Perhaps the whole return % is a bit overated. It really is one of those numbers that, after you go through all of the work to figure it out, what are you going to do with it? The time spent on figuring out how to reduce remakes may be better spent on educating Opticians and Customers on proper fitting techniques, lens selection, and care for their lenses.

Adam

I can believe it. I only see maybe four or five a year returned due to scratches when it has Crizal.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Lab Recoats

Lenses retuurned to labs for AR replacements are generally below 3 % no matter what kind of warranty is given.

The manufactures are safe in the way that the return percentage is passed back to the consumer as a price increase .

What the labs are aiming for is the removal of the crazing fear in the consumer/opticians mind and wider acceptance of the AR as a standard.

In certain countries AR is a given in every dispensing and its numerous benefits to the consumers certainly requies that it should be so.

I feel in 10-20 years you may not see any uncoated lenses being sold around.

Thread Information