Thread: Any experience with Optima Resolution Poly lenses?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist

Any experience with Optima Resolution Poly lenses?

I find this lens intriguing. I've never used it but the description is compelling. It is designed in such a way to eliminate birefringence stress defects. The lens is described by the company as "flawless polycarbonate". Apparently it is aspheric/atoric providing no peripheral distortion. They also claim that it is 14% thinner AND lighter than regular poly; and 10% thinner and 20% lighter than 1.60. Unlike regular poly it can tint up to 80%. The lens can be coated with premium AR's like Vivix. I think I read somewhere that Costco uses this lens as their Poly.

I cannot find an abbe value on this lens anywhere but would suspect that it must be higher than the usual 30-34 that one sees on most poly.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by ilanh
    I find this lens intriguing. I've never used it but the description is compelling. It is designed in such a way to eliminate birefringence stress defects. The lens is described by the company as "flawless polycarbonate". Apparently it is aspheric/atoric providing no peripheral distortion. They also claim that it is 14% thinner AND lighter than regular poly; and 10% thinner and 20% lighter than 1.60. Unlike regular poly it can tint up to 80%. The lens can be coated with premium AR's like Vivix. I think I read somewhere that Costco uses this lens as their Poly.

I cannot find an abbe value on this lens anywhere but would suspect that it must be higher than the usual 30-34 that one sees on most poly.
    A typical -5.00 sphere wearer will not adjust to this product. They are too used to lines being curved. It is very thin. Sometime too thin. It is like putting a piece of paper in a frame. Looks good, but you could blow it out.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I can't tell you much in terms of their AR coat. But I tired it in tinting (non-ar). It works, can be tint to I'll say 75%. But careful with the hardcoat, it may break if the dye is too hot.I think Centennial is offering a tintalbe poly too. And it suppose to be better, check with your rep.

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    My lab uses the Resolution lenses as their standard poly lens for anything over a -2.00. I've never had a problem dispensing this lens to previous 1.60 wearers - NEVER. It's got a great design, perfect for drilling, optics are phenominal and you can't beat the price. They come in three flavors: tintable, untintable with premium hardcoat (they call it Tantium) and with a premium AR w/Tantium base.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I use it for higher powers and cylinders and have never had a problem with it.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ilanh
    I find this lens intriguing. I've never used it but the description is compelling. It is designed in such a way to eliminate birefringence stress defects.
    I believe the CW is that birefringence is not visible to the wearer.

The lens is described by the company as "flawless polycarbonate".
    "Airline Food" and "Microsoft Works" are a few other good oxymorons.:)

Apparently it is aspheric/atoric providing no peripheral distortion.
    There will certainly be less oblique astigmatism and power error on high CYLs. Chromatic aberration is still a concern in moderate to high powers.

They also claim that it is 14% thinner AND lighter than regular poly; and 10% thinner and 20% lighter than 1.60.
    Using an aspheric ocular curve on minus lenses should result in a thinner and lighter lens than a front aspheric, but will probably not be noticable unless the power is more than about -6.00D.

Unlike regular poly it can tint up to 80%. The lens can be coated with premium AR's like Vivix. I think I read somewhere that Costco uses this lens as their Poly.
    They also make a semi-finished non-atoric version. It might be hard to tell which version your getting- Caveat Emptor.

Abbe= 30, same as regular Poly.

I've seen Resolution stress crack (in a full metal frame) so I'm not convinced. If I was looking at a PL -4.00 Rx it would be on the table, and would be my first choice if impact resistance is a priority.

Regards,
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Martellaro, you are impressive.

I wear Resolution Poly in one pair, and Trivex in the other! I'm -7.00 My little experiment has proven to me that really both extremes are good.

I don't find the chromatic abberation particularly superior in the Trivex, nor the peripheral optics particularly inferior in the proprietary polycarbonate. (Yes, I have 20/20 acuity and sensitivity to about 0.12D!)

I struggle to see the difference in the opposite products, I'm sorry.

Thread Information