Thread: Over the counter half eyes

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Over the counter half eyes

Looking for a good supplier that will be somewhat competitive to the half eyes in the discount stores.

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Try Encore Jim. I bought several hundred pieces from him and they worked out good for me. He's a member here.
    Days where my gratitude exceed my expectations are very good days!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I would not recommend over the counter readers. As an optician I am just as offended by overth counter readers as I am about online glasses. If you belong to the OAA than this is going against the resolutions of the association.

Quote Originally Posted by OAA Resolutions
    2-18: Ready Made Eyeglasses

Whereas, consumer purchase magnification products over the counter, often in attractive appearing frames of low quality, and
    Whereas, the lenses of these products are generally not ground and polished nor are pupillary distances set according to purchasers' needs and the astigmatism corrective needs of a majority of eyeglass wearers are completely disregarded, and
    Whereas, it is known that discrepancies between lens center pupil centers cause Asthenopia, particularly in higher power; that the absence of correction for astigmatism contributes to that condition; that incorrect selection and accommodation of too strong a magnification can lead to headache and additional eye examinations, now therefore be it
    RESOLVED, that the Opticians Association of America, for other than proprietary reasons condemns the use, sale, and distribution of ready made magnifiers with powers above two diopters and demands that consumer warning labels be applied stating that these products are not spectacles.

Adopted: June 1993
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    you know, I don't like them either, but the man I work for wants them in the office. He pays my salary, I do what he says.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Harry,

In your quoted OAA resolution, is it implying that low astigmatic correction is truly needed at near? Do OAA opticians know optics?

Are eyes hurt by over the counter readers, or might it be the pocketbooks of dispensers?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

OAA Opticians....

,,,,are memebrs of the national professional organization that represents Opticians. Are you an Optician? To ask a question like "do OAA Opticians know optics" is a ridiculous comment. OAA Opticians have the same concerns of others, but see a benefit on belonging to their professional association to hope fully improve the profession, even for those those laggards who see no benefit. Maybe you should join, if you meet the qualifications.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Optical Enigma
    Harry,

In your quoted OAA resolution, is it implying that low astigmatic correction is truly needed at near? Do OAA opticians know optics?

Are eyes hurt by over the counter readers, or might it be the pocketbooks of dispensers?
    Actually yes the over the counter readers can hurt eyes, the term asthenopia is the tiring of the eyes, which we have all had to deal with at some point or another as opticians. If your patient comes in asking for something to help read because lately they have been straining to read and you sell them an over the counter reader close to their reading prescription their are a few problems that will occur.

1) unwanted prism - by the PD's being off this will cause unwanted prism which can lead to a hard time focusing on the reading material and additional strain.

2) uncorrected power - even if the prescription is close if it is not spot on, what happens is the patient has to strain a little to get the text into focus causing more strain, weather it is a small amount of astigmatism or not only boils down to a little strain or a lot.

If I can equate it to a mechanic the guy drove into your shop wit a busted muffler and you hooked it up with a coat hanger. Yes it works for a while and is still not the best you could have done for your patient. I guess you don't mind providing this kind of service, but I do.

As fo r your second question does it hurt the dispensary, not at all. These clients are the ones that don't see value in the custom made readers. A majority of the clientelle that I serve are professionals that do a lot of reading and for the most part they do see a difference in the Rx, because they wear and use them for long periods of time. For a casual glance at a restuarant menu the over the counter readers will work, but for heavy reading this is a poor choice. By the way I don't belong to the OAA anymore, but still believe in some of the resolutions and am one of the opticians that did read it from top to bottom before I sighned up to make sure I agreed with everything that the association stood for. The OAA was started by opticians much smarter than I am or could even imagine to be, I may not always believe in what they are doing, but am not stupid enough to say something as bold as...
    Quote Originally Posted by Optical Enigma
    Do OAA opticians know optics?
    I am as good as any at ruffling feathers around here, but thats just plain stupid.:hammer:
    Last edited by HarryChiling; 07-25-2006 at 11:23 PM.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Thread Information