Thread: TX-Despirately needing opticians out here!

OptiBoard Novice

Blue Jumper TX-Despirately needing opticians out here!

Our whole area has an optician drought; there are not enough to go around. Several private practice people and commercial style corps are looking. Our organization Sharp Eyes, is a private practice. The pay is excellent, and hours are great (no Sundays and only one evening past 5:30). We are in Lewisville Texas (a suburb of DALLAS, Texas close to Flower Mound). If you are out here or thinking about moving out here, call us at 972-315-5202 or e-mail me at Sharpeyes88@hotmail.com. You do not have to be ABO certified to be eligable for good positions in this State, but it does help. I Check the e-mail daily (and we are almost too busy lately to answer the phone.
    Last edited by Brenda Floyd; 07-24-2006 at 12:43 AM. Reason: punctuation

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer

Shortage?

What is the pay scale for an Optician out there. I know lots of Opticians that would be willing to relocate, but the pay is always the issue. As a general rule, you can find good Opticians, you just have to be willing to pay to get them. Here in Virginia a good Optician is not easy to find. Pay scale runs 30 to 60k depending on where and who they work for.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Salaries

Average salaries for Opticians in the US are approximately 38K annually. I understand Texas has Registered Opticians and non-registered. From my experience in the state, I understand that wages are extremely low for those non-registered folks. I would contact ROATx (Mr. Sam Johnson) who is a member and frequest poster to this board, if your salary scale exceeds this minimum. I know he can be of assistance to you. Do a seach on the board and you will find numerous threads regarding ROATx.

Good Luck!

OptiBoard Novice
    Thanks for the input. There is a huge variable here in Texas. It seems to depend on the generosity of the individual private practice owner or the commercial corporation's payment decisions. In the Lewisville-Flower mound area the highest paid optician I know of was at a $55K+ per year with retirement plan. He was also doing employee management too. I have not checked the averages in the area but I will look at the ROATx threads. Thanks for the input on the Average. At a 40 hour week, 38 K devides into $18.27/hr including bonuses and commissions. That does not seem out of line and could be close to our area. I hope the others are paying that out there. I sympathize with colleagues on these awful insurance plans. I reallly miss the old days when profits were not a "Rocket Science". I would be happy to discuss salaries a little closerbut would want to do that on phone or internet (just incase my other opticians would wish want to not have the bonus structure and pay rate over this popular website for all to see).

OptiBoard Novice
    I live in the area and am interested in this position. Im currently working for an independent wholesale lab in The Colony and looking to make a change for wholesale to retail.

Ive emailed you a copy of my resume.

OptiBoard Novice
    I have received it. Thank you so much! I am looking forward to meeting you soon.

Thread Information