Thread: how to apply for the american optical board examinations

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist

how to apply for the american optical board examinations

Hi!

I am a Philippines and United Arab Emirates licensed optometrist seeking to get an optician's license in the US.

The American Opticianry Board's website is either unavailable or unaccessible from the UAE because it has been several days that I tried to access the page but cannot get through.

How do I apply for the exams, what are the schedules and what are the requirements bearing in mind that 1) I am not an American 2) I do not have any experience in any American State.

I graduated 1992, worked in the Philippines as an optometrist until 1999. Got licensed and worked as an optometrist in the United Arab Emirates from 1999 to present.

I hope somone out there can help!

Thanks.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Good morning -

I just tried (twice) to get into the website and it's not working for me either!

I believe the test is given twice a year - May and November.

You have to be registered before then - (maybe 60 days ahead of time I'm not exactly sure )

I believe the test is around $130 - $150. It's 100 questions (multiple choice). You must get 70 correct to pass. I think you should okay in the anatomy and such just be sure to brush up your knowledge of frame materials.

I'm just curious, do you know what state you are relocating to?

Some states in the US have licensing requirements for opticians --

Good luck!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Wave

I was thinking either Texas of California, I intend to either buy an optical retail outlet or open one. Buying is an easir option , I think.

I am doing both the optometrist's and the optician's work here in the UAE. (CL fitting too). I manage a three-store-chain and we have all the designer brands. I want to move to the states and keep on doing sort of the same thing as I am doing nbow (although I cannot do refraction, of course!).

Thanks!

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Let’s not put the cart before the horse. If you are not a citizen or a lawful permanent resident of the United States, you will need to apply for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) in order to work in the United States. The specific categories of foreign nationals that require an EAD include (but are not limited to) asylum seekers; refugees; students seeking particular types of employment; applicants seeking to adjust to permanent residence status; people in or applying for temporary protected status; fiancés of American citizens; and dependents of foreign government officials.

Once you get your EAD, you will then also need to get a business permit from your local city or county where you set up shop. If you will have employees, you will need to get workers’ compensation insurance, and will need an understanding of tax withholding laws. You may also be required to obtain an opticians license in whatever State you wish to do business in, and while not required, become fluent in English.

You will also have to establish your financial position with American banks and lending institutions, no small matter for a foreign national. When your green card expires you may apply for renewal or return to your native land and apply for citizenship, no small feat these days as quotas are virtually non existent.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Correct website???

www.abo-ncle.org

I just went to the website and it's fine. Anyway, the tests ARE given in May and November. If you cannot get what you need on the website, call 800-296-1379, or 703-719-5800. I'm sure of the 800 number, but you may not be able to use if from where you are located.

Also, if you want to be sure of passage, get the TOPS book by Michael DiSanto from the National Academy of Opticanry at www.nao.org. AND attend a review course. NAO will be having one in California the first weekend in November.

Diane

Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    I think,
    Applying for the American Optical Board Examinations is a significant step in the pursuit of optometry certification in the United States. To start the process, follow these key steps:

1. Eligibility Check: Ensure you meet the eligibility criteria set by the American Board of Optometry (ABO). Typically, this includes completing an accredited optometry program.
    2. Register: Visit the ABO's official website to register for the exam. Provide the required personal and academic information.
    3. Study: Prepare thoroughly for the exam, as it covers various aspects of optometry.
    4. Schedule: Select a suitable exam date and location.
    5. Take the Exam: Attend the exam and demonstrate your knowledge and skills.

Passing the ABO examinations is a crucial milestone for optometrists in the USA, allowing them to practice with confidence and competence.Nrega Job Card List
    Last edited by Aarav; 11-01-2023 at 08:04 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Aarav View Post
    I think,
    Applying for the American Optical Board Examinations is a significant step in the pursuit of optometry certification in the United States. To start the process, follow these key steps:

1. Eligibility Check: Ensure you meet the eligibility criteria set by the American Board of Optometry (ABO). Typically, this includes completing an accredited optometry program.
    2. Register: Visit the ABO's official website to register for the exam. Provide the required personal and academic information.
    3. Study: Prepare thoroughly for the exam, as it covers various aspects of optometry.
    4. Schedule: Select a suitable exam date and location.
    5. Take the Exam: Attend the exam and demonstrate your knowledge and skills.

Passing the ABO examinations is a crucial milestone for optometrists in the USA, allowing them to practice with confidence and competence.
    The ABO/NCLE exams will not impact your chances for Optometry in any way. It's for Opticians.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonald View Post
    The ABO/NCLE exams will not impact your chances for Optometry in any way. It's for Opticians.
    ohh okay.Thank you so much.

Thread Information