Thread: contact lens disasters

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

contact lens disasters

Worst contact lens disasters: patient or practitioner. Worst I ever heard: removing a corneal graft with a suction remover thinking it was an RGP. (Heard that one from the CLSA and it is true ) Worst I ever did: Broke a conjuctival blood vessel removing a soft contact. Caused a sub-conjunctival hemmorage, which, although harmless enough, LOOKS horrible. Fortunatly, it was a very understanding adult. If it had been a younger child, I can't imagine the response from the parents. :angry:

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why was practioner using a suction cup at all? They are stricktly for lenses sucked on the sclera and for alert people to use on patients too senile to learn to remove them. (Although many are dished out by practioners too lazy to instruct patient's on removal)

Chip

Can anyone remember when you had to learn what you were doing before you were released on an unsuspecting public?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    super-glue mistaken for rewetting drops. not me. a patient. let's just say it looked REALLY painful. My question of course, was " Why do you have super glue in your medicine cabinet?"

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    About the crazy glue thing..

Outside the US, the Crazy glue bottle is the exact same size and shape as the liquid tears bottle.

While in the Navy and stationed overseas we had crazy glue in the eye about once every six months. Not to worry, it just scabs up and sloughs off when the epithelium does it's usual regeneration.

Harry

Software Engineer NetPriva.com mirage2k2's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    A few years back I put some soft lenses in that had been soaking in bad solution for several months. Within an hour my eyes started to sting and when I took out the right one I literally had to peal it off my eye ... I think I removed some skin

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was a first year contact lens student, and was in the midst of performing one of my first clinical follow up exams on my own. Patient comes in, we do all the Hx etc. Px is blind in one eye. Full exam almost over, Px goes to reinsert soft lens. Lens/ eye burns. Ouch, ouch, ouch, but after a few minutes (or more) is finally ok.

Me= confused concerned. Look at solution bottle on counter. Yep, H2O2. Yikes!
    Chick only has one eye and I just let her grab any old bottle off the counter, and it HAPPEND to be peroxide?? And within my first dozen re-checks on my own? Confidence booster, eh?

Lesson immediately learned = remove H2O2 from all counters in exam room. Told Px she must have had something under lens on insert...
    Shwing

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My hard CL partner in colege passed out while I was inserting RGP into his eyes!

I think I lnow the response that Chip is going to give me!:bbg:

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    About the super glue thing - yup, see it all the time. Asked the same question about it being in the medicine cabinet (inner-monologue, only).

CL Fitter/Optician/Mommy SarahMP584's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had a 15 year old boy pass out on me after we inserted his cl's for the first time! Thank god we had smelling salts!!!

I had another lady having trouble removing her lenses (she also wore LONG fake nails that I warned her about)

After I got her to take them out about 4 times, she left. she came back for her follow up and said she had gone to the emergency room to get it out because she couldnt. What are those docs thinking! she said they used metal instruments and q- tips on her eyes!

ITS CALLED SALINE! Or, push on the upper lid to get it out from under there! my goodness!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had a HUGE football player pass out one time, i left him on the floor. Another time, there was this guy that puked everytime he came in to get fitted. the poor guy brought his girlfriend in one of those times. I had a 95 year old SOUTHERN BELLE come in one saturday. She and her friend were out shopping and felt like her contact had torn. upon inspection and removal, i pulled out 4 contacts in her OD and 3 OS. yep boys count'em
    7 contacts. i asked her why this was and she just shrugged and said that sometimes she forgets if she has them in already. At which point she got up, walked out to her car, and got behind the steering wheel. MY JAW DROPPED! it turned out, she was the younger of the two. Ya gotta love those Southern Belles. k

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Too real

:)
    Quote Originally Posted by kmc
    I had a HUGE football player pass out one time, i left him on the floor. Another time, there was this guy that puked everytime he came in to get fitted. the poor guy brought his girlfriend in one of those times. I had a 95 year old SOUTHERN BELLE come in one saturday. She and her friend were out shopping and felt like her contact had torn. upon inspection and removal, i pulled out 4 contacts in her OD and 3 OS. yep boys count'em
    7 contacts. i asked her why this was and she just shrugged and said that sometimes she forgets if she has them in already. At which point she got up, walked out to her car, and got behind the steering wheel. MY JAW DROPPED! it turned out, she was the younger of the two. Ya gotta love those Southern Belles. k
    It's amazing what people will do and tolerate. Had one come in for the first time and had 5 contact lenses in one eye, saying "it's a little uncomfortable". Duh.

And I'm glad you gotta love those Southern Belles....from a Southern Belle.

Boy is it hot here.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We had a patient's son calling saying he was having problem removing his elderly mothers contact lens. She had been fit by another doctor in the area with a bandage contact lens because she had been waiting for her corneal transplant. Thier doctor showed him how the oput in and remove her lens.Well, he said he had been trying for awhile to remove it and it wouldn't come off. I cringed at that moment and told him to come in because their doctor's office said they didn't have time to see them. When they came in he again said that he had been trying and trying and even stuck his nail under the contact to get it to come off. Oh my, when the doctor looked, it's not the contact lens he was trying to get out, he was actually prying her cornea off. It was litterly dangling there like swiss cheese. It was horrible. I immediatley called his doctor and sent them right over. Ohhhh, it still makes me cringe.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    this thread should have a disclaimer - don't read if you get queasy! :o

(and I usually DON'T!!)

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    i had one patient that needed a bandage contact. while trying to remove it, his eye popped out of the socket! i almost puked. instead, however, i took a deep breath and pushed it back in. k

C-10
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When I was just training my wife wanted contacts my boss was more than please at this request because it would give me good practice. So we did the measurement order a pair of rigid lenses. When the lenses came in my boss suggest that I take them home and do the R&R. Good idea. So when we got the baby to bed we went into the kitchen and started the insertion. I can’t remember how it happens but instead of soaking the lenses with the saline after the peroxide we just inserted the lenses. Without realizing what I did my wife start complaining and going on about how it hurts and I am yelling at her to stop being such a baby and open her eye. This went on for a few minutes before I realized what I did. That one cost me a big night out

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    C-10

you mean she didn't like having a cornflake in her eye?

CL Fitter/Optician/Mommy SarahMP584's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Diane
    :)

And I'm glad you gotta love those Southern Belles....from a Southern Belle.

Boy is it hot here.

Diane
    Amen to that!
    I may be stuck in CA, but I will always be a CAROLINA GIRL. ;)

Thread Information