Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transitions lenses in the car??

OptiBoard Apprentice OptiBoard Bronze Supporter PNKansas's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Question Transitions lenses in the car??

Does anyone know if they finally make a photochromic lens that stays somewhat dark while inside of a car? Maybe lighter than completely outside in the sunlight but still keeps the density at about a #2. In any material???

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by PNKansas
    Does anyone know if they finally make a photochromic lens that stays somewhat dark while inside of a car? Maybe lighter than completely outside in the sunlight but still keeps the density at about a #2. In any material???
    Nope.

Many claim to get somewhat dark in the car, but usually it is still very, very light.

The lenses change based on UV and the wind shield has a filter.

Occupation
    Younger Optics Drivewear lenses are new and specially engineered to darken behind the windshield of a car. These are polarized plastic lenses with a new variation of the Transitions photodye that is sensitive to light in both the UV and visible spectrums. These are sunwear lenses - they will not fade all the way to clear, and there is no such thing as a clear polarized lens for eyeglasses.

Laramy-K Optical is a distributor of these lenses:
    http://www.laramyk.com/products/younger_drivewear.html

PDF format product brochure from Younger Optics:
    http://www.laramyk.com/products/younger_drivewear.pdf

Comments from Laramy-K Optical on these lenses:
    http://www.optiboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15981
    Last edited by rinselberg; 07-13-2006 at 10:45 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Photogrey extra glass lenses darken in the car as they react to a range of light wavelengths, not just UV. With an A/R they can be a great all around lens for driving both at night as well as daytime, IF you can handle the weight.

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

You might also look at. . .

the Corning Thin & Dark line. They are also full spectrum light activated lenses. Available in several lens styles. We've had good luck using them for OTR drivers.
    Days where my gratitude exceed my expectations are very good days!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Try Rodenstock Colormatic they are suppose to darken in the car but not fully, I think about 50%

Al

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper Does anyone know.....................

Photochromic materials are activated by UV rays. If you drive a convertible with the top down they will work perfectly

If the top is not down all UV rays are blocked by the glass windshield and windows.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just tell my patients when they stop at a stop sign or a light just to stick their head out the window. ;)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Framebender
    the Corning Thin & Dark line. They are also full spectrum light activated lenses. Available in several lens styles. We've had good luck using them for OTR drivers.
    Hey, I was told, about 2 years ago, this product is discontinued!!!! Wazzup with that??? I used Corning T & D quite alot and had several very unhappy clients when i could no longer provide it.

Occupation

Its available down here. . .

You can get it in SV, FT-28, (maybe 7X28 of that I'm not real sure) and of course the Freedom 5 progressive. I've never had any problems getting it and I haven't heard about it being discontinued. I'll call my glass lab this morning because I would have a bunch of pi$$ed off truckers too!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Ohhhhhh...

Quote Originally Posted by shellrob
    I just tell my patients when they stop at a stop sign or a light just to stick their head out the window. ;)
    So that's what that guy was doing in the car ahead of me on Burke Lake Rd the other day.:idea:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hee hee...it's funny when you picture it isn't it? :bbg: I'm sure someone somewhere does do that.:bbg:

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm serious! It just didn't occur to me that he might be trying out his new lenses. I mean who does that for real?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I know. I think of that sometimes when I'm driving and someone leans out their window. Then I Just start laughing. :bbg:

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty
    I'm serious! It just didn't occur to me that he might be trying out his new lenses. I mean who does that for real?
    When plastic photochromatics first came out, an optician I worked with actually did this with her pair (at all stop lights, she took off the glasses and held her hand outside the window). :p

Occupation

New Invention............................

Now I just invented something to activate ransitions and make other photochromic products work in a closed car.

A small blue UV light working on 4 AA batteries in a black case that clips on the sunshade. Just press the button and your glasses will go dark. Should sell for about 50.00 bucks.

:bbg:

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Silver Halide for glass, and I forget the chem. for poly...Anyway, short or long run drivers should only try to wear photos/trans's in the day time. If it where a cloudy day in Minnesota the lenses would darken the most, and if the truckers cab's heater was broken the very same night then the lenses would not lighten enough to see safely. Scenerio's for every eye-wear situation. I think if I were asked what I'd recommend I would suggest 2 pairs--1 pair polarized, front & back coated AR lenses with a yellow tint for day and clear AR coated lenses for night..? No?

Occupation

Well of course you would . . .

and you'd be right. The problem comes when you inject reality into the picture. We have Colorado Kenworth down the street so we see 20 to 30 long haul truckers a month. Most are independants working on incredibly thin margins and maybe 1 in 10 will take the 2 pair suggestion. The rest want 1 pair and they want as much diversity as possible in that 1 pair.

They are manly men. They won't keep no stinking spray bottle in the cab and even if they have one they don't know where it is. They're going to shirt tail clean their glasses and the lenses better be able to stand the abuse. There's nothing worse than a red eyed trucker just in from 4 weeks on the road standing in your dispensary loud talking about this piece of **** glasses you sold them.

We tried various plastic lenses with various coating and they would last maybe 3 months. We went back to glass and have had excellent results with the Thin & Dark lenses. You have to set the seg about 3 mm lower for them otherwise they sit up so high they can't see the road immediately in fron of them. They love the lenses however and we always give them a handful of cards to pass out in their travels.

We had a guy from North Carolina in yesterday because 1 of our people told him that if he made a run through Denver he had to stop and see us. He did and he will pickup his glasses after he drops his load in Salt Lake City. They are some of the finest people I've met, but you have to be realistic about their needs and understand that you're not going to change their habits We do offer everyone 2 pairs though just because you never know!
    Last edited by Framebender; 07-15-2006 at 07:44 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    Now I just invented something to activate ransitions and make other photochromic products work in a closed car.

A small blue UV light working on 4 AA batteries in a black case that clips on the sunshade. Just press the button and your glasses will go dark. Should sell for about 50.00 bucks.

:bbg:
    All take a dozen Chris!!

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by shellrob
    My husband went on a business trip to Colorado and forgot his sunglasses. He told me he would stick his glasses out the window for a minute till they darkened and then drive for a few minutes and then stick them out again. He was lucky he didn't drop them!

Occupation

Blue Jumper All take a dozen Chris!!...................

Quote Originally Posted by mike.elmes
    All take a dozen Chris!!
    First open order I ever made on the optiboard..............you will get my gold medal.

Now I have to find some chinese to build me the product. :bbg:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady
    My husband went on a business trip to Colorado and forgot his sunglasses. He told me he would stick his glasses out the window for a minute till they darkened and then drive for a few minutes and then stick them out again. He was lucky he didn't drop them!
    That's hilarious. Could you imagine driving along and every few minutes seeing the driver in front of you sticking his head out the window? Most wouldn't know what the heck he's doing. Hilarious!!!!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

How 'bouts the sunroof

I just hate it when I'm driving with the sunroof open, and my right lens is fully exposed to the sun but the left is not. Have got some rather strange looks from drivers pulled up next to me at a light.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    OK, I am getting a visual of drivers with their heads sticking out of their vehicles!! Doesn't this counter act the reason we need sun lenses for safer driving to begin with!

Solution: Younger Optics Drivewear.....polarized transitions lenses that will work behind the wheel....

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The visual is making me laugh. I can't help it. Oh my, these past couple threads have made my week so far. I'm never laughed so hard picturing some of this stuff.

Thread Information