Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by drk
    This is a repulsive thread.

Keep it up.
    ROFLMAO

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I hate to admit this...but i laughed so hard while reading this that i almost had an accident. ew ew what about when you have a crusty pair of zyl frames that came off of a 98 year old crusty man, with boogers dangling, and you have to heat the frames. THE SMELL!!!!! it's like cooking flesh chips. (i am making myself sick)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Cooking flesh chips??? Gawd my face hurts from laughing....:bbg:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Unhappy

There a deep lab sink about 5 steps behind and away from our major dispensing table. And a bottle of liquid soap, and a bottle of alcohol. I have been known to pick up such a frame with a disposable towel and carry it into the lab, lower it into the sink and douse it with a good squirt of the soap and then the alcohol, and then run the water over the frame several minutes, in fair view of all at the table, while smiling back at the most-likely farsighted consumer.
    The thing that gets me the worst is the oozing silicone pads on some of the worst frames. I pray they won't explode as I try to clean the screws off enough to remove them.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    WoW! This thread rocks! I knew there was a reason my optiboard sense was tingling. My boss shouldn't even be in this business. I am assured of hearing her say EW EW EW atleast once a day.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hate to see what those that are "just horrified" and "reviled" with a little nose cheese and facial oil would to working as an EMT or in the Emergency room for one night. Or even in any department of a "charity" hospital for that matter.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

The pig farmer

I've told this story on here before but its just so gross and it fits this thread so well...

A pig farmer comes into the shop complaining that his glasses are hurting him horribly behind the ears. Now, he's not the most hygenic fella to begin with and add to that fact he appears to hang out in the pig sties quite alot. When he comes in, he invariably leaves behind his size 15 feet a nasty little trail of sawdust, and whatever else he's accumlated on his body from the farm. Well, he sits down at the dispensing table, I peek behind an ear, and find an accumulation, caked on, of, um, what looks to be whatever it is he's been rolling around in. Gross. I look behind the other ear, same thing. I firmly grasp the glasses, meeting with some definite resistance, and as gently as I can pry them off his head. There is, seriously, about ten mm of 'matter' 'baked on' the temple tips of his flexon frame. This stuff was actually pushing his ears out from the sides of his head. I doubt he'd cleaned his glasses for months, if ever. But worse, there was STILL some stuff left behind his ears when his glasses were removed. Same stuff. Took me ages, gagging and almost puking, to chip the stuff off the temple tips. The smell was tremendous. You know the smell that greets you driving through the farmlands when the farmers have just spread bad hog dung on their fields. I was removing from someone's glasses, this same stuff that had been fermenting behind his ears for who knows how long.

So, I get the glasses cleaned up, take them back down to him, and he asks what he could possibly have done to get his glasses so badly bent so they'd cause so much pain. I told him there was just a bit of 'matter' accumulated on the temple tips, all good to go now. What I should have said was that its generally recommended to thoroughly wash your glasses at least weekly to prevent disease.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oh my Cindy that is just nasty. I probably would've puked all over him.

I do tell people that they need to clean them to avoid that "stuff". I'm not rude about it, but man it has to be done. I also will wear gloves when handling those really nasty ones.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui
    We keep it and sell it wholesale. :bbg: $20.00 a pound. :bbg:

ah! so THAT's where "extra sharp cheddar" comes from! :idea: :p

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Cindy K
    I've told this story on here before but its just so gross and it fits this thread so well...

A pig farmer comes into the shop complaining that his glasses are hurting him horribly behind the ears. Now, he's not the most hygenic fella to begin with and add to that fact he appears to hang out in the pig sties quite alot. When he comes in, he invariably leaves behind his size 15 feet a nasty little trail of sawdust, and whatever else he's accumlated on his body from the farm. Well, he sits down at the dispensing table, I peek behind an ear, and find an accumulation, caked on, of, um, what looks to be whatever it is he's been rolling around in. Gross. I look behind the other ear, same thing. I firmly grasp the glasses, meeting with some definite resistance, and as gently as I can pry them off his head. There is, seriously, about ten mm of 'matter' 'baked on' the temple tips of his flexon frame. This stuff was actually pushing his ears out from the sides of his head. I doubt he'd cleaned his glasses for months, if ever. But worse, there was STILL some stuff left behind his ears when his glasses were removed. Same stuff. Took me ages, gagging and almost puking, to chip the stuff off the temple tips. The smell was tremendous. You know the smell that greets you driving through the farmlands when the farmers have just spread bad hog dung on their fields. I was removing from someone's glasses, this same stuff that had been fermenting behind his ears for who knows how long.

So, I get the glasses cleaned up, take them back down to him, and he asks what he could possibly have done to get his glasses so badly bent so they'd cause so much pain. I told him there was just a bit of 'matter' accumulated on the temple tips, all good to go now. What I should have said was that its generally recommended to thoroughly wash your glasses at least weekly to prevent disease.
    I have had a few of these who leave behind a funky odor to where we've had to air out the dispensary (that was in the old days before febreeze)

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance
    WoW! This thread rocks! I knew there was a reason my optiboard sense was tingling. My boss shouldn't even be in this business. I am assured of hearing her say EW EW EW atleast once a day.
    I used to get sooo ****** at the lab techs who made it their hobby to make a commentary on just how gross a frame was (we were supposed to have the lab check the frames before re-using).

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by JennyP
    The thing that gets me the worst is the oozing silicone pads on some of the worst frames. I pray they won't explode as I try to clean the screws off enough to remove them.
    My first 6 months in the industry, I had my first nosepad that was swelling. The company I worked at (not LC, btw), well, kept a tight rein on the "discretionary" spending budget. There was NOT a replacement pad in the building. I "had" to pop it to remove the ooze and to alleviate her pain. Why the hell didn't I just send her to another optical to have the freakin' pads replaced?? :hammer: Maybe it was just a "sign" ("curse" ?) of all the GOS frames I would later recycle.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    i sure hope all of you sanitized your hands before lunch! gag. kmc

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by GOS_Queen
    I used to get sooo ****** at the lab techs who made it their hobby to make a commentary on just how gross a frame was (we were supposed to have the lab check the frames before re-using).
    In the dark and distant past I have been so disgusted at a frame sent for reglaze that I have worn gloves and left it dirty, complete with slimy old lenses slipped into a small plastic bag.
    Optical technicians in Britain.

http://www.optiglaze.co.uk/forum/

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Big Smile This is definitely the best thread.......................

This is definitely the best thread to enjoy during lunch hour.

Keep up the good work.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    This is definitely the best thread to enjoy during lunch hour.

Keep up the good work.
    yuck

Bad address email on file lilchiken's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Idea

Those are the people whom I tell- "Every night before you go to bed, place a drop of dish soap on your glasses and WASH THEM. It keeps the skin oils from building up on your glasses and that also protects the coating" as they look at me and say "Well,ayuh-never thought of that before?"

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I'm glad to say that so far I only had one case where I had to do some seriously thorough disinfecting and washing to get some greenish slime off the nosepads and around the lenses. His temples also looked like they were soaked for ages in sewage and then baked under the sun. Halfway through the cleaning I told the customer that this was the dirtiest pair of glasses I ever had to clean and started dishing out advice on regular cleaning.

I showed him the dirt that were hiding in his frame and he was so repulsed by it that he picked another new pair.:bbg: I think a simple hingeless and rimless design would be the easiest to clean and that was what I recommended. Actually made him look years younger too.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    More are coming if you stay in this line of business

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

cheese glue

what is really bad is getting rid of that cheese and find out that it was holding the frame together. so you have a 10 year old frame in parts and a person that wants a new frame to replace their old one.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thanks Optiboard.

Today is the first time I've signed on in several months, oweing to some personal stuff going on in my life.... and just look at what I've been missing!

This thread is completely gross...

....but sadly I can totally identify with it.

Thanks for reminding me that it could always be worse!

:cheers:
    It's like being a travel agent... I help people see the world!

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Does anyone have a solution on cleaning silicone nosepads to make the yellowish ones clear and like new again? We do not charge for replacement of nosepads nor cleaning and alot of people are taking advantage of this by requesting us to change their silicone nosepads very so often once they turn yellow.

Other than it being yellowish, I feel that it performs just as well and a real pity. Even though they are relatively inexpensive, the cost does add up if everyone comes into our shop for this purpose..

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

What's for lunch?

Quote Originally Posted by kmc View Post
    i sure hope all of you sanitized your hands before lunch! gag. kmc

What do think lunch is ?

Whenever we get a "nasty" in, one of the employees will say "I'll get the crackers if you share the dip"
    Last edited by Johns; 07-31-2006 at 06:34 AM. Reason: Punky nation

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ew Ew Ew Ew Ew

Thread Information