Thread: Online Ordering

OptiBoard Professional Mike Fretto's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Online Ordering

I'm curious to know how many of us have seen an increase recently of people coming in for measurements only for online orders. I had two this week already not related that I know of, what I'm really interested in knowing is have you created a service fee for the time involved. One lady in particular wore me out for almost an hour with question after question then as we approached the end of the order ( time to Pay $$$ ) she asked for a copy of her RX and said she was going to order online. I dont know how she plans on purchasing a frame online and then getting an accurate seg height measurement for progressive lenses.:idea:
    Mike

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Simple, don't write the measurements on the Doctor's Rx. Give her the doctor's Rx sans any measurements or notations you have made on your order pad. I learned this years ago in the CL field, of course now that 1-800-Contacts has bought the court system I can't do this as easily anymore. However if the patient has paid you no fee, and you have rendered no tangible service other than your time which she hasn't paid for, you don't have to give her anything.
    If you have sold and been paid for a product you might have to give her a record.
    Chip

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I do not endorse online RX as much as I do not go to an online doctor when I am ill. We have seen an increase in people coming in just to obtain RX information and measuresments presumably for online orders.

In response to this trend, we pilot-tested a new policy where all our patients are told in advance that they will be charged a fee which is waived if they were to purchase a frame and/ or lens from our store in the same visit. However, my boss is very concerned about long-term goodwill and prefers an approach that combines an iron fist in a velvet glove. His reason being that eventually these people will realize that we are providing value-added services not fully replaceable by online vendors and ultimately they'll come to us for RX lens and accurate adjustments even if they did not purchase the frame from us.

I am now able to quite precisely identify who are the casual shoppers just out for some free incentives and yes, we do practise a little favoritism by giving regulars and genuine buyers better pricing and service.

The only reason I ever choose online is if I am able to get plano sunglasses at a nice price or purchase a hard to find frame. Other scenarios would be a :finger: in my book.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I will absolutley NOT do measurements for any online ordering. I think if you do, you're asking for trouble because you and I both know they will be back to you if something is wrong with the glasses. Plus why would you do it anyhow? You're just taking away from your own business.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Has anyone been allowed to order a pair of glasses on line (dr paying for them), to see what kind of quality there is?

OptiBoard Professional Mike Fretto's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think most of us here appreciate the quality concerns of online ordering specifically accurate measurements. But the fact of the matter is I dont think this is going away anytime soon the public is drawn to a cheaper price that we cant effectively compete with. Do we simply show them the door or try to get what we can out of them? It sems to me one way or another they are going to get what they need to order online.
    Mike

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If they are going to order online, they can get their measurements from someone else. Do you think charging that small amount is going to make up for the amoutn of times that patient will be back because those glasses need adjusting, or they're somethring wrong with them? Nope.

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Wink I think we've had this discussion before. . .

We charge $20.00 for taking a PD. We charge $20.00 for fitting and an additional $30.00 if we have to do any trouble shooting. That charge applys even if we just stick them in the lensometer to verify power.

The fitting and trouble shooting fees can be applied towards a pair of glasses that they can actually see out of!;)
    Days where my gratitude exceed my expectations are very good days!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Does anyone know what the liabilities are in Indiana for giving a P.D. for someone to buy online glasses?
    Pam Watson, ABOC

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There's nothing in the law that says you have to provide a PD, so I wouldn't do it. A few jurisdictions require it, but I don't think Indiana is one of them. I just politely inform the requester that it's the responsibility of the optician filling the RX to take the necessary measurements and "they" will do that for you when you order. The rare person who has the guts to admit they want it to order online gets the response, "Sorry, we don't take responsibility for glasses we aren't making."

The liability issue is murky, and I don't think anyone has been able to nail it down clearly for a legal angle. From a practical angle, the patient will blame us because the online seller will pin any problems on the measurements or the RX. It's not worth the hassle, IMO. If you're going to do it, at least have a sign or a stamp for the receipt (if you charge) that makes it clear you're not responsible for any problems resulting from glasses not made by you.

Thread Information